Welcome to all the recent newbies

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Welc
Newbie (Dave) here, just picked up my '06 ST1300 yesterday... she's got 93k miles but it's been well taken care of. Looking forward to reading and learning more about the bike.

I've ridden/raced motorcycles most of my life, but haven't had one for ~10 years now since the kids were keeping me too busy to go riding. But I'm starting to have some more free time so it's time to ride again. :cool:

This is me on the ride home yesterday after the purchase.
Dave-ST1300.jpg
Welcome... FYI - NatSTOC is just around the corner..

Tiesemans

Site Supporter
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands, Europe
Hi Folks,

My name is Ties and I live in the Netherlands.
Bought a ex police bike ST1100A(Y) 4 years ago and it turned out to be a pig in a poke, big time.
I even appeared on television with the motorcycle in a TV special of a program that investigates fraud and in this case especially motorcycle mileage fraud.
To give you an idea ...
Dutch police sold the bike at auction in 2005 to a first private owner with 115133 km's on the clock. (71540 miles)
This first private owner in 2019 (after 14 years of use) traded in the bike.
The Police sergeant I bought this bike from in 2019 (who bought it a couple of months earlier from a well known motorcycle store somewhere in the center of the Netherlands)
had purchased it with only 33.000 km's on the clock. (20505 miles) ..
So the soon to be my bike .. went from 115133 in 2005 to just 33.000 in 2019 ...
You can imagine the satisfaction this police sergeant must have felt factually being the second owner of a (what he is led to believe) low mileage bike.
Well soon enough he found himself claiming warranty multiple times .. But for issues not really alarming (according to the same bike center) and to make things worse, he knew nothing about the ST1100 so this police sergeant didn't ask the right questions.
Having only owned and ridden a recent enough Honda motor scooter, he was led to believe all was fine after a couple of trips back to this famous bike center.
Anyways after a round trip to Georgia (Eastern Europe) he decided the bike was good but he was given the opportunity to buy a used BMW GS 1150 and sold his ST1100 to me.
Being a total noob myself when it comes to a ST1100 (only having owned and ridden a Honda 650 Deauville) I figured the deal was a sweet one ..
Feeling it already folks?
Directly after having purchased the bike I decided to bring it to a friend for some new brake pads, some new fluids etc.
He didn't notice anything either because he primarily services dirt bikes and cars ...
what I did notice was the exhaust collector leaking and so I decided to have the exhaust pipes and collector replaced all together, stainless or not it looked crappy at best.
I brought it to a local shop with a all-round good reputation and I was told (via via) the folks that run the store are very familiar with ST1100 bikes.
They ended up calling me the same day (late afternoon) and the list of parts worn out and rotten (don't even have to mention the specific parts) was too long.
Within 36 hours the swingarm, final drive and flange (the splines were almost gone) were replaced.
In the weeks that followed the bike was stripped and close inspection showed that the famous cooling fluid knees clearly need replacement, the cooling tubing appeared worn out, brake discs showed to be below minimum thickness, inner front fork legs worn out, showing the bare metal underneath the chrome layer.
Brake caliper pistons needed replacement asap, brake calipers needed revision, brake lines dried out, radiator rusted through, alternator housing torn, thermostat done fore, sparkplugs end of life, carburetors in dire need of cleaning, tuning and ultimately (turned out) needed replacement all together because of rust having damaged moving parts (springs etc) and more, much more was ultimately done.
Having bought the bike (in good faith) from another private individual Legally, I clearly got the short end of the stick.
The motorcycle dealer/trader that sold it to the police sergeant called their lawyers after I pointed out my findings.
Fortunately, they were given the spotlight during that TV show the bike and I appeared in. People still talk about it.
And thus started a 3 year 'adventure' getting the bike back to former glory ...
I also replaced all the fairing parts after discovering it should be B-162M blue, not painted(over) silver.
So name a part of my bike and chances are I replaced it.
Some things I managed to do myself but a lot of replacements, repairs and upgrades were done by skilled mechanics from one or two motorcycle stores and skilled individuals owning (multiple) ST bikes, one in particular > PanAgt.
Another mayor lifesaver turned out to be a Dutch ST bike lover internet forum called ST1100-1300 . eu
They helped me with getting the wanted farkles (led lights, clear mirror glasses, horn etc.) and the national meetings connected me with the right people.
I couldn't have done it without them.
To make long story short .. I invested (more a less) three times the amount of money I paid for the bike originally ...
And yes I am fully aware of the fact I will never "earn" any of it back.
But that was never the motivation to begin with.
I got screwed over and decided the take it on the chin, not wanting to make a wonderful legendary Honda bike the scapegoat in this story.
It would get the TLC it never received.
My biggest revenge (in my mind at least) would be to get it back to perfect running condition ..
So I invested a ton of money and the bike changed from a ugly duckling into a gorgeous swan, providing me with tons of fun and many problem free (and above all) enjoyable miles.
Making lots of friend along the way.
And tonight I joined this forum because I (even more so than from the Dutch ST forum I joined years ago) hope to learn a lot of things about the ST1100, with the help of all of you. :thumb:

Before:
$_864.jpg$_86 (2).jpg

After:
IMG_20210619_1912121.jpg20210619_162436.jpg

*Edit*

Recently the front legs (black) the rims (gold) and the head valve covers (silver) have been powder coated.
However this is not showing in the most recent pictures I uploaded. :cool:

Last edited:
Hi all!

First post…thought I’d better introduce myself!

I’ve been on the lookout for a project bike for ages to sit alongside my ‘02 Blackbird. The criteria were simple - it had to have an ‘interesting’ engine, it had to be useable once done (so that ruled out the bikes of my yoof) and it had to be comfortable (owing to issues today linked to not being good at keeping the bikes of my yoof upright).

Having owned three BMW GS’s, I wasn’t looking for a fourth! My Dad (72, source of my passion for bikes and he’s still mad about them today) found a 1990 Pan on eBay - 29k miles and in need of some serious love having been stored since 2010. I’ve always loved Honda V4s, but only every owned the 400’s in the ‘90’s…… Bike bought! I picked it up last week and have been stripping it down since.

I’ll start a restoration thread as soon as I can work out how to embed pics! It’s going to need work, but I hope the assembled knowledge of the ST community can help me out!

Reactions: Obo

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Welcome, Goblin. As a longtime owner of a 1991 ST1100 in Sparkling Silver Metallic, I’m looking forward to your restore thread. It’s pretty easy to embed photos here. You might be interested in Allen Millyard’s ST1100 tear-down and rebuild YouTube videos:

Regards, John

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
To those who got the shaft when buying your ST (but you brought it back from the grave- and by the way, the ST of Tiesemans looks stellar in blue!), yes it sucks to have advantage taken of you, but now, it’s basically reconstructed and will give you years of riding so be sure to enjoy it and not focus on the ‘screwing’. It happens to many of us in life (not just in the MC world) and the best revenge is living well, so live well and ride well!

Last edited:
Welcome, Goblin. As a longtime owner of a 1991 ST1100 in Sparkling Silver Metallic, I’m looking forward to your restore thread. It’s pretty easy to embed photos here. You might be interested in Allen Millyard’s ST1100 tear-down and rebuild YouTube videos:

Regards, John
Thanks John!

I just need to work out the best place on the forum to put a restoration thread…and how to get photos up straight from iPhone or iCloud. I’ll work it out no doubt!

I’ll give Alan’s videos a look too!

To those who got the shaft when buying your ST (but you brought it back from the grave- and by the way, the ST of Tiesemans oops stellar in blue!), yes it sucks to have advantage taken of you, but now, it’s basically reconstructed and will give you years of riding so be sure to enjoy it and not focus on the ‘screwing’. It happens to many of us in life (not just in the MC world) and the best revenge is living well, so live well and ride well!
Thanks!

fortunately I knew exactly what I was getting into - in fact, finding the riders manual and toolkit under the seat made it better than expected!

Bike
00 Goldwing - ST1300
Hello All!

Finally able to post here on this site!

I have been riding motorcycles for almost all my life, starting with a lawn mower engine mini bike to motocross bikes and moved up in street bike sizes to my current rides, a 2000 Gold Wing and 04 ST1300.

I purchased the 04 ST1300 a few years ago and was able to run her for about a year before the clutch slave started leaking. I parked it thinking I would address it in spring. Well, "Life Issues" got in the way, and I haven't ridden much for the past 3 years. This year I can finally get back in the saddles, so I will be rebuilding the clutch slave and getting the ST back on the road.

I look forward to gaining more knowledge about my ST and fellow ST riders in the future !

Bike
'93 ST1100
I posted a "just joined" thread, but I'll pop one here, too.
Very interesting to read the history of the group in the first post.
Glad to be with you all -

VetteJim

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I guess this is where the new members intro posts are so I'll introduce myself. Name's Jim, from Northeast Ohio. Just picked up a 2008 ST1300 on a trade from a 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400. Yep! you read that right. As my interest in bikes progresses I have moved through a few in the last year. I just started riding last year about this time when I got my 2006 Shadow 750. Great bike but after a while seemed a little small and under powered. Then over then winter when I had too much time on the internet I bought a Kawi Ninja 400 which was really fun. But I grew a little tired of the riding position and the screaming engine. I saw this ST1300 at a dealer and did some research and here we are! The ST has blown me away with the style, smoothness and power. Oh, and I also got a 2007 Honda VTX 1300R after selling the Shadow. So I currently have the VTX and the ST, which I think is a great combination and they complement each other. Anyways - glad to be here!

Jim

Reactions: Obo
Bike
2008 ST1300
I guess this is where the new members intro posts are so I'll introduce myself. Name's Jim, from Northeast Ohio. Just picked up a 2008 ST1300 on a trade from a 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400. Yep! you read that right. As my interest in bikes progresses I have moved through a few in the last year. I just started riding last year about this time when I got my 2006 Shadow 750. Great bike but after a while seemed a little small and under powered. Then over then winter when I had too much time on the internet I bought a Kawi Ninja 400 which was really fun. But I grew a little tired of the riding position and the screaming engine. I saw this ST1300 at a dealer and did some research and here we are! The ST has blown me away with the style, smoothness and power. Oh, and I also got a 2007 Honda VTX 1300R after selling the Shadow. So I currently have the VTX and the ST, which I think is a great combination and they complement each other. Anyways - glad to be here!

Jim
Welcome Jim. I see you got a Candy Glory Red '08 after all! I personally think it's the best color that they came in. I put 350 miles on my new black 2010 yesterday. I still miss the red one.

Bike
Triumph St1050
Being a newbie myself, located down the southern hemisphere in gods own NZ. Still looking to obtain my first ST1300, must be in the name as I own a Triumph ST. ;) this will be my second stead in the man cave and with Winter here Bluey will be going to sleep now for 3 months for some R & R and maintenace. Just waiting for the opportunity to find one locally to test ride with the misses before handing over my hard-earned cash. Done research into these beasts.

Bike
2006 ST1300ABS
Greetings from Southern Georgia! I purchased a 2006 ST1300 ABS last week and am furiously learning all I can about the bike (and hoping I made a reasonably good decision when I purchased the ST).

I am currently riding a Shadow Spirit 750, and decided I wanted something a bit more refined. The Shadow is a nice light bike for learning to ride and it gets lots of compliments. However, my most recent group ride left me feeling beat up by the wind and I decided investing in a fancy fairing for the Shadow didn't make sense. I had come close to buying an ST a while back and resurrected my search. It's a long pitiful story, because I have tough luck buy bikes - but it's home now and I'm now personalizing it to my tastes... I'll post some pictures as soon as I get it together.

Just joined and am picking up my new-to-me '04 on Wednesday. 14K miles and basically pristine. I already ordered a Givi mount and found a V47 top case on FB marketplace, so my wife should feel comfortable on the back. We're in Cornelius, NC (just north of Charlotte) and try to ride in the mountains mostly. Also in the paddock are a DR650 and a VStrom 650 to satisfy my "adventure" needs. I rode a Bandit 1250 set up for sport touring for more than a decade and am really looking forward to the ST.

Top Bottom