What do these plugs say?

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Running a little lean maybe? Number 3 insulator is a little shorter than the rest; I believe it was that way when I purchased the plugs.

1618960310872.png

Bike
2010 ST1300
All the plugs should have the same length insulator. The insulator length determines the heat range of the plug - i.e. a longer one conducts the heat more slowly than a shorter one. Now its been a long time since I read this stuff, and I might have reversed the long vs short insulator, but all the plugs of a given number should look identical. And I agree with @heffly, they look a bit hot to me. Perfect color should be tan or light brown, but we rarely get it exactly right. IIRC, one is supposed to cut the throttle after a steady state run, kill the ignition and pull the plugs immediately. Only time this is usually done is on a racetrack (and I'm not sure if they still do it today). You can find a spark plug chart online, just do a google search and compare yours to the pictures. One last comment. Ambient light has a nasty way of influencing the colors in a picture seen on my computer's monitor compared to yours or anyone elses. This makes diagnosing plug color a bit iffy.

One last comment. Ambient light has a nasty way of influencing the colors in a picture seen on my computer's monitor compared to yours or anyone elses. This makes diagnosing plug color a bit iffy.
It's not necessarily the "ambient light" that's at fault ... it's the camera used and the software to process it, i.e, most likely the "white balance" [might] be off.

Most everyone these days use their smartphone for photos, so if you're not using a top tier smartphone (like an S21 Ultra : ), and quality image processing software (like Google Snapseed), image quality will suffer.

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
They are NGK. I bought them at O'Reilly Auto. I have been running non-ethanol fuel. I used my Pixel 2 phone camera with the flash turned on.

1618970859764.png

They are NGK. I bought them at O'Reilly Auto. I have been running non-ethanol fuel.

1618970859764.png
read here for fake check

Bike
2010 ST1300
They are NGK. I bought them at O'Reilly Auto. I have been running non-ethanol fuel. I used my Pixel 2 phone camera with the flash turned on.

1618970859764.png
Yup, those look like spark plugs. Why two of the same number would appear to have different length insulators is beyond me. You might give NGK customer service a call:
Corporate Office

NGK Spark Plugs (U.S.A.), Inc.
46929 Magellan Drive
Wixom, MI 48393

tel: 248-926-6900
fax: 248-926-6912
Sales & Marketing
tel: 248-926-6900
fax: 248-669-8131
Customer Service
1-877-473-6767, dial #3
hours: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Monday-Friday EDT
Technical Support
1-877-473-6767
Dial #1 (Application Support)
Dial #2 (Advanced Tech Support)
hours: 9:00am -5:00pm
Monday-Friday EDT

P.S. I'm not a fan of O'Reilly autoparts. Around here, their counter guys are worse than Auto Zone and I rank A Z's counter guys somewhere behind supermarket checkout people. Your O'Reilly's might have better folks, but I've not been entranced by their merchandise either.

Bike
R1200rt
1618971833363.pngaccording to NGK this is normal for a plug at the end of it's life. your plugs look ok #3 does look different. ST1100 are a bit lean at idle (emissions) #3 is also the cylinder that controls the fuel shut valve. I would check the fuel shut valve for leaks. Prolonged idle and carb sync could also cause that. Are looking to cure a specific problem or trying to create one?

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
1618971833363.pngaccording to NGK this is normal for a plug at the end of it's life. your plugs look ok #3 does look different. ST1100 are a bit lean at idle (emissions) #3 is also the cylinder that controls the fuel shut valve. I would check the fuel shut valve for leaks. Prolonged idle and carb sync could also cause that. Are looking to cure a specific problem or trying to create one?
Trying to create one :)

I don't have normal color perception and wanted to get opinions from the forum. I deleted the fuel shutoff valve years ago. Compared the plugs to this chart and they look a little hot.

1618973013022.png

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Just found out I can get the NGK Iridium plugs for $7.35ea + tax at Autozone. Think I'm going to make the switch and have one less maintenance item.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Just found out I can get the NGK Iridium plugs for $7.35ea + tax at Autozone. Think I'm going to make the switch and have one less maintenance item.
With a little advice from Mellow, I ordered my iridium NGK's from Rock Auto- they were about half the price.

Bike
R1200rt
Trying to create one :)

I don't have normal color perception and wanted to get opinions from the forum. I deleted the fuel shutoff valve years ago. Compared the plugs to this chart and they look a little hot.

1618973013022.png
so what if they look slightly hot, what would you do to correct the problem( that there is't) rejet the carbs? by a 4 gas analyzer? To even adjust idle mixture on an 1100 is a joke, pull the carbs off , count the turns and it should be ok maybe? It's difficult to adjust them on the bike. Put your new plugs in, sync carbs and drive it like you stole it !!!

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I also got the iridium plugs so I don’t have to worry about them for a very long time.

I thought to adjust mixture, you need the special tool from Honda that has the D shaped end but otherwise looks like a screwdriver.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Just a word of caution...
Almost every NGK Iridium plug(s) that were purchased at Rock Auto, Autozone, or Amazon, that folks have brought me to install, have been cheap, poorly made, knock off plugs!
I've replaced hundreds of them, that folks paid as much as $25 dollars each, or as little as $7 dollars each at autozone etc.
:please1:go to the NGK sight and study it carefully before you install your plugs to prevent possible damage to your bike.
I've seen some with short shoulders, some with long shoulders, some with too many threads, not enough threads, different length insulators, etc.
Pay attention to the plating, finish, placement of the logo, the weld around the tip (or lack of one) etc.
I've seen some that were even purchased at the parts counter at the local Honda shop, (parts guy said they ordered them online) that were fake.
I won't even use NGK anymore!
I've switch over to ND Denso plugs, because so far, I've not found any fake ones of this brand yet (does not mean it won't happen soon).
Buyer Beware
:WCP1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom