What do these plugs say?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Are you aware of any reliable source for them?
None that I would trust to recommend to anyone.
Unless I have hands on them, to personally inspect them, I would steer clear of NGK, and heed their warning of knock off's.

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
None that I would trust to recommend to anyone.
Unless I have hands on them, to personally inspect them, I would steer clear of NGK, and heed their warning of knock off's.
I am picking up a set of the NGK CR8EHIX-9 Iridium's today at an Advanced Auto Parts store by me. They are listed by NGK as one of their retailers. So they must be getting them direct from NGK. I will post pictures of what I get.

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
With a little advice from Mellow, I ordered my iridium NGK's from Rock Auto- they were about half the price.
NGK USA doesn't list them as a retailer on their list:
Autozone is listed there and I'd rather pick them up in person given all the fakes out there.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Curious to know what your replacement schedule was using the standard spark plugs and what you expect it will be using the iridium plugs.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
9CF3311D-0554-400E-AB58-899B137B5DFC.jpegI’ll be installing standard NGK in a couple thousand miles. Are the iridium the ones being counterfeited?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Despite what the Honda recommendation is, spark plugs are replaced much sooner than necessary by many people in my opinion.
As a reference point regarding spark plug longevity from when I worked in the automobile maintenance industry, spark plugs were warrantied for a minimum of 5 years or 50,000 miles by law under the emissions standards. I can not imagine that that has been lowered.

I personally have never seen a spark plug that needed replacement at anywhere near 8,000 miles unless there was a problem. I have read of people who switch to iridium and still replace the spark plugs at very low intervals- lower than I ever would with regular spark plugs. I don't even consider spark plug replacement prior to 50,000 miles unless there is some reason to indicate that replacement is necessary.

I have no idea if they provide better performance as I have never tried them. They will provide better value only if the replacement interval is being significantly extended.
I asked only because I was curious as to whether the motivation for switching is improved performance or extended change intervals.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I bought some iridium plugs for my vehicles in the past from Rock Auto before I was aware of the huge counterfeit issues. I checked with NGK and sent them pics of my set and they said they were good.
I emailed a Canadian aftermarket motorcycle store called FortNine and asked about the problem when getting ready to buy plugs for the ST. They assured me that they wouldn't risk their name and business by possibly selling counterfeit plugs. They get them from the manufacturer.
I think spark plugs last a lot longer than some do as well. I was always a fan of the iridium plugs though. Such longevity is nice. My Toyota fuel injected vehicles can go 192,000 kms before needing replacement as per the manual. I do think that removing them and inspecting them a few times during their lifespan is a good idea to make sure they are performing well and seeing the condition of your cylinders.
Also not to end up with a stuck or broken plug when trying to remove them. :)

Last edited:
It's my understanding a plug that has "Japan" stamped, and where the "P" has an underscore, is a fake
Your understanding is wrong I am afraid to say.

The underscored P is normal for these plugs.

View attachment 273118
Thanks ... I'm only going by what is written in the photos for this post ... check bottom left photo

Bike
R1200rt
Standard: 8000 miles
Iridium: More than 8000 miles :)
100,000 miles

Long-life platinum and iridium spark plugs will typically last up to 100,000 miles or longer provided the engine isn't using oil or doesn't spend a lot of time idling.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
100,000 miles

Long-life platinum and iridium spark plugs will typically last up to 100,000 miles or longer provided the engine isn't using oil or doesn't spend a lot of time idling.
+1. I've used NGK Iridium CR8EHIX-9 on two ST11s for about 150k miles. I changed them at ~90k miles and they looked perfect.

Bike
R1200rt
+1. I've used NGK Iridium CR8EHIX-9 on two ST11s for about 150k miles. I changed them at ~90k miles and they looked perfect.
That's not my words it's off the internet but I have seen maintenance schedules on autos and many do not replace plugs for 150k. No points, condenser, no ignition wires (on most) plug last forever (almost) my how far we have come in my life.

my how far we have come in my life
and just think, you can hold a device in your hand that makes phone calls without phone cords, take and process photos, process emails, do live video conference calls, pay "money" at grocery stores and gas stations, get money out of cash machines, perform bank transactions, watch TV and videos, view home security cameras in real time, listen to music, record the steps you take each day, unlock doors, wake you up, ad nauseum.

All that utilizing a computer more powerful than what was onboard the Apollo spacecraft.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
and just think, you can hold a device in your hand that makes phone calls without phone cords, take and process photos, process emails, do live video conference calls, pay "money" at grocery stores and gas stations, get money out of cash machines, perform bank transactions, watch TV and videos, view home security cameras in real time, listen to music, record the steps you take each day, unlock doors, wake you up, ad nauseum.

All that utilizing a computer more powerful that what was onboard the Apollo spacecraft.
sa whaaaa....don't confuse me But you still can't get a politician to tell the truth:eek:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Click to enlarge.

PXL_20210421_224250699.jpg PXL_20210421_224317945.jpg PXL_20210421_224416410.jpg PXL_20210421_224733420.jpg PXL_20210421_225012618.jpg
Can you post a picture of the gap/tip, I'd like to see a closer view of it to verify if I can see a weld or not :rolleyes:
The coating (color) does not look quite right in your picture(s).
Not sure if its just the picture, but the knock off's generally do not have the proper welded tip etc.

Top Bottom