What do these plugs say?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
9CF3311D-0554-400E-AB58-899B137B5DFC.jpegI’ll be installing standard NGK in a couple thousand miles. Are the iridium the ones being counterfeited?
I've seen both kinds, and NGK also warns of several styles of their products etc.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
Standard plugs inspected at 8k and replaced at 16k per my ‘05 owners manual.

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Can you post a picture of the gap/tip, I'd like to see a closer view of it to verify if I can see a weld or not :rolleyes:
The coating (color) does not look quite right in your picture(s).
Not sure if its just the picture, but the knock off's generally do not have the proper welded tip etc.
Here you go:

PXL_20210423_202935336.jpg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Now go back and watch the video on how to spot a fake one.... :rolleyes:
The quality of the finish, the color, the tip extending out too far, the weld, the threads....
Call me paranoid, but I would not put those in my bike.
Call NGK and read them the number on the plug and ask them if its real or not.
Better to be safe than sorry.
:WCP1:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Thanks ... I'm only going by what is written in the photos for this post ... check bottom left photo

I checked it. Now look at the bottom right photo and tell me what you see.

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Which bottom right photo?
Sorry, I meant this photo. The 'real' NGK has an underscore at the bottom of the 'P' in Japan. I was responding to caldercay's post that stated the underscore indicated a fake.

1619276970133.png

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
It seems like one would have to intentionally ask to be shown a real plug and a counterfeit one to compare them at the store.

Okay, I think the issue is I misunderstood what 'P's "underline".

A real NGK does have an underline ...

The fake has one too, however, it's not a true straight underline ... it's a kind of "oval" underline

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The fake ones (I've seen) have a more silver, plated looking finish, instead of the more yellow anodized finish.
And yours appears to have the "poor quality finish/jagged edges on the base and threads etc. (at least it looks like that from your picture).
As far as the "underline" goes, I've seen them with a short underline, long underline, and even a crooked underline, so I would not base my concern on just this one item.
Anyone else notice the shoulders are a little bit off in length (not sure if that matters).
I'll stick with my ND Denso plugs.

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Now go back and watch the video on how to spot a fake one.... :rolleyes:
The quality of the finish, the color, the tip extending out too far, the weld, the threads....
Call me paranoid, but I would not put those in my bike.
Call NGK and read them the number on the plug and ask them if its real or not.
Better to be safe than sorry.
:WCP1:
So I watched the video and as far as I can tell, mine are legit. I did buy them at the Autozone counter, which is one of NGK's official distributors. I will give NGK a call tomorrow.

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
The fake ones (I've seen) have a more silver, plated looking finish, instead of the more yellow anodized finish.
And yours appears to have the "poor quality finish/jagged edges on the base and threads etc. (at least it looks like that from your picture).
As far as the "underline" goes, I've seen them with a short underline, long underline, and even a crooked underline, so I would not base my concern on just this one item.
Anyone else notice the shoulders are a little bit off in length (not sure if that matters).
I'll stick with my ND Denso plugs.
The edges are as smooth as glass, the marks you see are not raised up. I see how it can look that way from the extreme closeup. I did not have the plugs exactly aligned when I took that picture, so the shoulders are offset a little bit. I am still going to check with NGK USA.

Top Bottom