What is it about MC Wheels and Tires

Bike
2020 BMW K1600GTL
I recently bent my rim on a pothole and called a local place that specializes in rim repair. Everywhere I called, told me to call them. Only problem is, I called them first. They don't do do motorcycle wheels. They list every other type, but as soon as I said motorcycle, they were out.

This has been my experience ever since I started riding. Tire places won't touch them, even just to mount them. I was talking to my car mechanic about what a pain it is getting tires on/off the rims. He does tires, but not MC tires. It's motorcycle shops or DIY.

What is it about MC tires that makes otherwise professional people act like little girls? I've manually changed tires on cars, trailers, lawn equipment and motorcycles. They're all the same. What key difference am I missing?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I've run into the same with trying to get MC gear tailored. While they can do it, because it's "safety gear" they won't touch it.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Equipment most tyre shops use can't securely hold MC wheel for tyre-mounting or bending. Usually has some sort of cone that fits into centrebore of wheel. Doesn't work on MC wheels.

1709317013400.png

Or they have some sort of expanding part that grips centrebore of wheel.

1709317185654.png

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Equipment most tyre shops use can't securely hold MC wheel for tyre-mounting or bending. Usually has some sort of cone that fits into centrebore of wheel. Doesn't work on MC wheels.
Dinged front and rear on '07 during a Scotland tour (Hardknott Pass for those familiar with the area, p/hole hidden below a poodle in a passing place...), limped home, local shop fixed them fully manually, with plastic blocks and a soft lead-hammer...

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dinged front and rear on '07 during a Scotland tour (Hardknott Pass for those familiar with the area, p/hole hidden below a poodle in a passing place...), limped home, local shop fixed them fully manually, with plastic blocks and a soft lead-hammer...
Ah, Hardknott Pass - I know it well! ;)

Uncle Phil - UK 2015 Day 03

Uncle Phil - Videos Up Hardknott Pass

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Dinged front and rear on '07 during a Scotland tour (Hardknott Pass for those familiar with the area, p/hole hidden below a poodle in a passing place...)
Whoa!! You ran over a poodle?? o_O

poodle.jpg

(For those unfamiliar with the Hardknott Pass... it isn't in Scotland.)

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I had the same issue, UP, but when I used the option to download the file, the video showed up in the player on my PC.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Shops that straighten automobile rims have equipment that requires a bolt pattern. i.e. The wheel is mounted to the machine using the same rim flange and bolt holes that mount the rim to the car axle. Motorcycle rims don't have the flange or the bolt pattern, so they can't be mounted to their straightening machine.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Tried it. Works with Edge. Doesn't work with Firefox.
What is strange on my system is some of the videos work and some don't.
It's the same html and the same type videos - mp4s.
Andrew - Did the 'Up Hardknott Pass' video play okay for you?
The 'Highway 232' plays fine on my machine but not the Hardknott one.
They used to all play fine and were all created by the same software. :think1:

Top Bottom