What kind of oil?

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I run Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic (5W40) in my ST. It's a great oil for a great price ($21 a gallon at Walmart).

Bike
92 ST1100
Makes sense. God 'ole Bob the Oil Guy says to use the lowest weight oil that will still maintain at least 10 psi / 1,000 RPM. If I recall properly, he runs straight 20 weight in his Lamborgini . He says it runs much quieter with the straight 20W than with the factory recommended heavier weight oil. So, thinner oil actually lubricates better, as long as it's not too thin.
Well, 7psi is actuallywhat's needed to carry a bearing load....min.:) Thinner doesn't lubricate better, just dispersed easier over larger area when under pressure;). Have used 20-50w conv. dino(used to be 20-40 'back in the day') in my other listed ride for the 33yrs. of its existance, and being not tottally 'modern' internally, same thing for the 92STeed the past 10yrs. Tolerances a bit tighter obviously on the water cooled than the air-cooled, but still 'no foul' as far as I'm concerned. If a newer tighter tolerance, ceramic-lined cyl., teflon coated piston skirts, etc. scoot were ever in my future(highly un-likely).......definite 'game-changer' as far as lubricant choice;).

Bike
2013 FJR1300
0W20 is now what most new cars are running over here.
Owner's manual for my wife's 2012 Venza says 0W or 5W-20.

My FJR is running happily on Rotella T-6 5W-40. I just wish the stuff came in 5 quart containers.

Top Bottom