What would you replace the ST1300 with?

I have a 2008 Honda ST1300 and a Victory 06 Hammer. I just turned 72,000 miles today! I had time at work and was checking out new motorcycles. I even went to a dealer for Indian, BMW, Triumph and Ducati. I was thinking of selling both for a BMW R8, until I sat on one. Too heavy and the boxer engine is way too wide, definitely will hit a car when splitting lanes (if someone does that). I did not like any of the bikes I saw. They are either huge, small or adventure bikes. Also a lot of bobbers. I cannot see how any of these motorcycles are better than the Honda. I added a GPS, TPS, etc. so how can these bikes compare? Thoughts?

Attachments

• miles 72000.jpg
    miles 72000.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 44
A brand new ST1300, if only... this is a massive regret I've been living with for the last 9 months +

Can't find the "crying " smiley.

I replaced my 2003 ST1300 with four different bikes. The main Replacement is My 2014 FJR, Also I now have a 2019 Versys 1000SE that will replace the FJR some day as I get older., And when I get real old I have a 2013 V-Strom that will some day replace the Versys 1000 SE and the FJR. And later when I am really really old I have a little X300 Versys to fall back on after all the others are too heavy. After that it is probably a walker. :D The only variable is the time between replacements. In all seriousness it all depends on what you want. Less weight, more features, less maint., better fit for your situation, etc. It is all a personal choice and there is not one correct or incorrect answer. Good luck one what ever you choose.

Attachments

• SAM_5908.JPG
    SAM_5908.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 69
  • SAM_5909.JPG
    SAM_5909.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
All very nice. I know it is all subjective and since I bought my ST new, I would have a hard time selling it. I just thought it was amazing that I went to a dealer and thought bikes that are now 15 years newer than mine, do not compare (in my opinion) .

It all depends on what you are looking for. I swapped my ST1300 with 66k miles for a gently used FJR1300ES. I wanted a similar bike, but less dated and with some of the newer technology. It checks all the boxes for me and it's frankly much more fun than the ST. I plan to keep my FJR for many years.

Right, the newer tech is what got my itch for looking at newer bikes. But today I took the ST out and still come back saying I love this bike.
I agree, except that I am not really looking for a lot of new tech. I have had two ST1100's and currently have an ST1300. I have always been of the opinion, with both models, that all that they are really missing from the factory is heated grips, cruise control and whatever accessory power plug was the fashion of the day. I always felt it was pretty sad that Honda didn't make these things available as factory options on a motorcycle that was specifically designed for cross-continent touring. All of those are easily added however, so not really a deal breaker. Most of the other tech I don't care that much about. Suspension and ergonomics on just about any motorcycle has to be tuned to some degree to the riders size and preference anyway.

The biggest change to the ST models that would be nice is if either ST model could have been made 200 pounds lighter. That would have been incredible if it was possible.

I agree, except that I am not really looking for a lot of new tech. I have had two ST1100's and currently have an ST1300. I have always been of the opinion, with both models, that all that they are really missing from the factory is heated grips, cruise control and whatever accessory power plug was the fashion of the day. I always felt it was pretty sad that Honda didn't make these things available as factory options on a motorcycle that was specifically designed for cross-continent touring. All of those are easily added however, so not really a deal breaker. Most of the other tech I don't care that much about. Suspension and ergonomics on just about any motorcycle has to be tuned to some degree to the riders size and preference anyway.

The biggest change to the ST models that would be nice is if either ST model could have been made 200 pounds lighter. That would have been incredible if it was possible.
Well said, I added GPS, Heated grips, slip ons, high pressure fuel valve, battery monitor and gear indicator. My friend said, since you love your bike just upgrade things on it. My only option now would be to go from Zumo 550 to the new XT and I cannot see why to pay $500 when it's not broken why fix it.

I switched to a Yamaha Super Tenere. Originally it was to be a complementary bike to my ST1300, but it has ended up being a pretty good alternative. I'm of two minds moving forward from here. Both the Tracer 9 GT and the latest generation Gold Wing are appealing.

All very nice. I know it is all subjective and since I bought my ST new, I would have a hard time selling it. I just thought it was amazing that I went to a dealer and thought bikes that are now 15 years newer than mine, do not compare (in my opinion) .
And that's the problem. Some 30 plus years ago you had plenty of motorcycles to choose from. From Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki or Honda. Everything from cruisers to touring bikes. 1,2,4,6 cylinder machines to choose from. Today only a couple to fit the style you want to ride. Example would be what I would choose to replace my 23 yo ST1100 would be a BMW RT1250 or a Yamaha FJR 1300. Since I like the Sport touring style of motorcycling these two are the only game in town.

Back
Top Bottom