What would you replace the ST1300 with?

I had a new 2005 ST1300 for 5 years and 50K miles. Replaces it and have since had 3 FJR’s. A 2012, a 2017, and my current 2020 FJR1300ES. Bought it new in 2021. It’s a keeper since the sunset seems to be on these bikes. But I’m on the list for a 2024 Goldwing at my local dealer to have as a second bike.

The FJR is still in production (at least for 2023, who know about next year), but I know the Kawasaki Concours C14 has been discontinued.
The FJR was discontinued in Europe already. And Japan just discontinued it as well. I’m sensing that 2023 might be it for North America. If not, it will be soon. In-line 4 cylinder motorcycle engines are going away due to emission regulations.

I agree, except that I am not really looking for a lot of new tech. I have had two ST1100's and currently have an ST1300. I have always been of the opinion, with both models, that all that they are really missing from the factory is heated grips, cruise control and whatever accessory power plug was the fashion of the day. I always felt it was pretty sad that Honda didn't make these things available as factory options on a motorcycle that was specifically designed for cross-continent touring.

Ditto. I like my tourers. I went walkabout for a possible change of bike in the future (what is left of it) and tried the BMWs 1250RT and K1600GT. Neither of them fitted. Seat too wide for pillion, legroom too cramped for me. Even with the highest seat, it felt like my knees were under my chin. Dream bubble burst. I cannot bring myself to go back to a chain drive and really dont like the look and feel of the NT1100. I did sit on it, and it didn't do anything for me.

Honda had heated grips and power socket as optional extras for the 1300. Cruise control - I can do without that. I often use it in the car. I am a very nervous passenger and don't like to be driven when the driver doesn't show that they have spotted the things that I have seen. So the car driving me at a constant 70mph when I would have lifted slightly ? I've 'watched' myself doing this - and in fact when I cancelled the cruise control I only wanted to slow a couple of mph - but my brain was telling me that 70mph was too fast for comfort and it made me feel out of control, event hough 68/69 was just fine.

So I watched myself on the bike. I'm always making minor adjustements to my throttle. Balance, bumps, gravel, getting the line wrong, avoiding potholes, ..... I can't see when I would ever need a cruise control. But then I live in the Yorkshire Dales. Even the Romans couldn't manage straight roads here !

As for satnav and TFT screen - no thanks. I like the Analogue speedo and rev counter.

Lets be frank about this. I'm getting old.

Now where the hell is the kick start, the choke and the reserve tank ? And I still fancy going back to a sidecar combination !

Riding an 1100 and see no need to change. But if I did it would be an FJR for short money, or the new Wing. Don't want the DCT or the armchair on the back. Just the basic "bagger" model thanks.

Honda had heated grips and power socket as optional extras for the 1300.
Yes they were. I just think that a motorcycle that was touted as a premier long distance touring motorcycle, and that was specifically designed and marketed for long distance riding where all kinds of weather can easily be encountered in the same day, should have had these as standard equipment fitted from the factory. I consider these basic equipment on this type of a motorcycle. If you want to be in the same league as the other premier sport-touring motorcycles of the day, you should act like it at least with things as minor as these two items. It is not as though the ST1100 or ST1300 were priced as budget sport-touring motorcycles and Honda couldn't afford to include them.
Cruise control - I can do without that.
I do without it as well as I have never had it on a motorcycle. At the same time, on this side of the Atlantic we have lots of wide open spaces we need to cover sometimes. On pretty much every trip I need to cover long boring stretches to get somewhere. It is not uncommon to ride for hours on end, sometimes for consecutive days, at 80 or 85 MPH to get somewhere. It would be nice to have it under these circumstances I am sure. I view it as the same logic as above, if you want to be in the big leagues, act like it. Cruise control is nothing new on a motorcycle, and it wasn't back then either. It has long been a common accessory on the competitions premier touring and sport-touring motorcycles, and it is my opinion that Honda should have at least had this accessory available as a factory option for those who want it.

Riding an 1100 and see no need to change.
Sooner or later every "why hasn't Honda updated the ST in almost 20 years" thread boils down to this: once they quickly sold their 5 bikes to actual customers before they died, what would they do with the leftover inventory for the next 20 years? :rofl1:

Tom

Last edited:
Sooner or later every "why hasn't Honda updated the ST in almost 20 years" thread boils down to this: once they quickly sold their 5 bikes to actual customers before they died, what would they do with the leftover inventory for the next 20 years? :rofl1:

Tom
Wow is it winter down there already? PMS get ya?

p.s. I like my leftover ST1300. I got 3 years of new for free when I bought it and I'm STILL ALIVE!!

Tom

Eh, I don't get it? You do you, I'll do me, it'll all work out.

I can't recommend it enough.
I've been watching a lot of YT vids on the Navi. One guy has down some mods that are interesting but I got a lot of background on it. Given that it wouldn't be a purchase to replace the functionality of the ST I could be very happy with a Navi.

Cruise control - I can do without that. I often use it in the car.
I too can do without cruise control. I seldom use it in my car. Throttle locks have been been good and the Go Cruise - excellent.

Top Bottom