What's this world coming to?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't expect sport trailer touring to be the norm for me just yet but trailering the Goldwing to destination riding at BRG two years ago was the gateway drug. My wife is just not able to do 500 mile days anymore and I admit we had an easier time packing and for trips to town to provision or eat there's no need to gear up.

The trip to Suches last week involved my little Honda car pulling a little trailer with my little Honda bike on it.

IMG_4013.jpeg

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Whatever works for you Dave.

I have towed bikes on two occasions that I can recall, once to Montana, and once to Arizona. I didn't feel the need to put in 12 days of interstate riding to get to and from the destinations where the "real ride" began. One was for my wife and I to tour all of the Natl Parks in Utah and AZ on our 2003 Triumph Bonneville. The other was for my wife and I to tour Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Wyoming on our 2006 ST 1300. I have ridden to all of the lower 48 and love putting in long days and racking up big miles on my motorcycles, and although my wife loves to ride, her idea of fun is not sitting on the passenger seat for 10-12 hour 500-mile days. The trailer was an ideal way for us both to enjoy the motorcycle trips. It was a revelation actually.

I still prefer to ride wherever I'm going, but if the Mrs wants to tag along, I have no issue with trailering to far away destinations, and riding from there. Whatever works.

So the fit worked out OK for you?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I see nothing wrong with that at all Dave. If it lets you get to more places to enjoy more riding, and it allows your wife to join you and share those experiences with you, how can there be anything wrong with that? Go do some more of it I say.

I too have run into the trailer option because my wife does not ride like we used too. But I have still revolted to the point where we go in separate vehicles... for now.. When the time comes where I won't " Go The Distance" I am going to use the trailer option until I can't or go three wheel till that doesn't work anymore. Anything and everything works as long as it is done for enjoyment. Then the cement comes out and the bike is parked next to the road with a mailbox on the back. Till then it is what you do. Keep going and have a good time!!!!!
We do what we can, if they told me that was looking forward to this stage in life when I was young I laughed and said "Not me, I will be different or some such BS. Go figure.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Whatever works for you Dave.

I have towed bikes on two occasions that I can recall, once to Montana, and once to Arizona. I didn't feel the need to put in 12 days of interstate riding to get to and from the destinations where the "real ride" began. One was for my wife and I to tour all of the Natl Parks in Utah and AZ on our 2003 Triumph Bonneville. The other was for my wife and I to tour Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Wyoming on our 2006 ST 1300. I have ridden to all of the lower 48 and love putting in long days and racking up big miles on my motorcycles, and although my wife loves to ride, her idea of fun is not sitting on the passenger seat for 10-12 hour 500-mile days. The trailer was an ideal way for us both to enjoy the motorcycle trips. It was a revelation actually.

I still prefer to ride wherever I'm going, but if the Mrs wants to tag along, I have no issue with trailering to far away destinations, and riding from there. Whatever works.

So the fit worked out OK for you?
The Fit did fine but terrain getting there and back home is pretty much flat or gentle hills. I don’t think it would keep up or last long pulling long steep grades. This was more of an experiment with it than a long term prospect.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Same here. I feel like I'm "wasting" the bike and tires riding to and home from farther events. Packing the back seat with anything I might want is easier than packing the bike with only the necessities.

The main reason is the tedium of riding home alone after three full days of riding with the group. I can dress casually, listen to the radio, have snacks and drinks, and think about how much fun I had.

I also pull my Hondas with my Honda. My '09 Accord tows perfectly, even with the 4-cylinder and A/T. And that includes up and down the mountains on Rts 250 and 33 west of I-81 heading to WV or OH.

DOJH4182.JPG

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
HA! When the Boss says the only way you are going to take that THING with us, is on a trailer, guess what?

InTrailerFront.jpg

Of course, since this picture, I have improved my trailers and hauling vehicles! LOL

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Starting to look like we have a lot of closet Harley riders now :rofl1:
Nothing wrong with being comfortable.
I’m thinking about a trailer hitch on my element, just to get a ramp type rack for my new ct125.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
My wife and I hauled our bikes for years before full time RVing, and During our full-time RVing adventure. And now that the RV is gone, the trailers are gone, we are back to motorcycling and Moto-camping. Funny how things change in life. I just turned 71 and she 63. Going moto-camping in Death Valley this weekend.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I also have gotten quite accustomed to having a wee bit more comfort for destination riding. I might be going over the top a little, but it’s really hard to beat the comfort of the toy hauler.

1710776779138.jpeg
Nice, I expect Skunkape to chime in here soon.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Oh Stop It! Over on the Goldwing forum they're talking about trikes and trailers. You 5th-decaders just wait.
I couldn't do it myself... that 'going to' and 'coming from' part of the trip is as much of the enjoyment as the riding at the destination...

Plus, I hate driving any non motorcycle vehicle for more that 3 hours... I'm sure if there were at least 2 people in the vehicle it would make more sense or be less boring but just me driving... yuk...

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Starting to look like we have a lot of closet Harley riders now :rofl1:
Nothing wrong with being comfortable.
I’m thinking about a trailer hitch on my element, just to get a ramp type rack for my new ct125.
I remember my dad got these metal hoop-things that clamped on the bumper of our 1973 Ford LTD Truckster sedan. We then lifted the 300 lb Honda scrambler 175 up and dropped the wheels into the things. Seemed sturdy enough..... then connected the small camping trailer to the car. Nothing bad happened but the bumper probably wouldn't have cleared a crushproof pack of Marlboros lying in the road.

These days a class II receiver hitch with one of those hitchhiker luggage platforms plugged in makes a lot more sense and is safer for the toys we have and the motorists behind us. Go for it.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I also have gotten quite accustomed to having a wee bit more comfort for destination riding. I might be going over the top a little, but it’s really hard to beat the comfort of the toy hauler.

1710776779138.jpeg
Well... that's not a trailer it's a house... lol... the basecamp scenarios is definitely a great approach.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
so you do not have a trailer hitch on the back of your Miata......
No.. I sold the Miata... I would have liked to keep it but the post pandemic used car prices for miatas actually spiked and I unloaded it for a small profit... I also didn't like having to move 2 vehicles out of the garage in order to take the bike for a ride and then repeat to get everything stuffed back in and no room to work on any of them without doing the same.

Top Bottom