dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I couldn't do it myself... that 'going to' and 'coming from' part of the trip is as much of the enjoyment as the riding at the destination...

Plus, I hate driving any non motorcycle vehicle for more that 3 hours... I'm sure if there were at least 2 people in the vehicle it would make more sense or be less boring but just me driving... yuk...
Yes, the route planning and the ride there is a big part of it and I admit my share of past ridicule aimed at drivers pulling tour capable motorcycles. However I've ridden from my home to the Smokies two or three times a year for 18 years. If you want a few routes going that way let me know.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
You must have a load-equalizing hitch on that bike. :biggrin:
He USED to have a Uni-Go hitch on that bike! Maybe he upgraded... :biggrin:

I couldn't do it myself... that 'going to' and 'coming from' part of the trip is as much of the enjoyment as the riding at the destination...

Plus, I hate driving any non motorcycle vehicle for more that 3 hours... I'm sure if there were at least 2 people in the vehicle it would make more sense or be less boring but just me driving... yuk...
This is where I am... still. Almost 69 and prefer to enjoy the ride to/from as well as the ride while there. My wife doesn't ride with me any more so I'm always solo. Now, to figure out what I'll put in the Uni-Go trailer to get SOME weight in it so it will ride better.

I have towed my bikes a total of twice. Both times were for maintenance. Once was for an electrical breakdown (Gold Wing) and the other time was simply to have a ride home when I left it at the dealer 125 miles away for a warranty part that took 3 days to get (AK 550).

No.. I sold the Miata... I would have liked to keep it but the post pandemic used car prices for miatas actually spiked and I unloaded it for a small profit... I also didn't like having to move 2 vehicles out of the garage in order to take the bike for a ride and then repeat to get everything stuffed back in and no room to work on any of them without doing the same.
I'm right with you here too. We have 2 vehicles in addition to my wife's scooter and mine. I figured out how to park everything so I don't have to pull out the bigger vehicles to get my bike out of the garage for a ride (I can angle it in/out on the side next to one of them). But no way to work on the bike without pulling out the Rav4 or Legacy. Usually, about mid April, we park one of those in the driveway out of the garage so my wife can make a mess in that half of the garage doing garden planting and potting. That sometimes leaves me with just enough room to work on the bike but sometimes I have to clean up the bags of peat, mulch, and garden or potting soil to do it.

My wife hasn't wanted to sell her scooter just yet but didn't ride it last year or in all of 2021, and rode it very little in 2022.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
All these bikes on trailers....It's too early for the Sturgis "bike" rally. Must be Daytona "bike" week.

I just got 2 road bikes and now I'm supposed to trailer?

I'm so confused. Russ!!! help me.

Reactions: Tor

ardykay54

Russ "NeonMan" Knock
Bike
22 Kaw Z900rs 50 ann
2024 Miles
STOC #
All these bikes on trailers....It's too early for the Sturgis "bike" rally. Must be Daytona "bike" week.

Calm down Raymond!....Take deep breaths!....Don't panic!......The only thing that should confuse you is......do I take this bike or this bike today!!?? :biggrin: I wish I had your problem...Dr. Russ.(That will be $100 please!):cool:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #

Or you can take BOTH!
1710787071401.png
This one folds so it takes up less space.
Many years ago my neighbor had the non-folding version of this trailer and that is what he and I used to haul my GW back home to fix the electrical problem. He usually would haul his HD and his wife's HD (they each had one) to Sturgis and other events.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't expect sport trailer touring to be the norm for me just yet but trailering the Goldwing to destination riding at BRG two years ago was the gateway drug. My wife is just not able to do 500 mile days anymore and I admit we had an easier time packing and for trips to town to provision or eat there's no need to gear up.
My solution was a bit different. I ride the bike and I bought her one of these to tag along in. Then the only problem was she set a hard limit of 650 miles per day. Since I was always collecting bonuses for the Big Money Rally or a grand tour it became a straight line 600 for her and a very crooked route of 8-900 for me.

1710790266488.png

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Hello Dave, Pam and I were trailering the bike for a while now And she loves it. We can travel faster and more comfortable then just taking the bike and trailer combo. Whatever makes the wife happy I’m there with her, it’s a hobby we love to do together. :thumb:

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I remember my dad got these metal hoop-things that clamped on the bumper of our 1973 Ford LTD Truckster sedan. We then lifted the 300 lb Honda scrambler 175 up and dropped the wheels into the things.
First car was a 1968 Buick Wildcat convertible that I purchased well used in 1974. Rust bucket due to Montreal winters and millions of tons of salt used on the streets. I had the same type of carrier on my bumper I used for my Honda TL125 trials bike. Worked well, but actually cracked the frame member the bumper was attached to. Bike was < 200lbs I'm sure.

I've no issue trailering a bike (or bikes) to good roads too far away. Time is precious and limited and I'd rather slab it somewhere than not go at all.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Starting to look like we have a lot of closet Harley riders now :rofl1:
Nothing wrong with being comfortable.
I’m thinking about a trailer hitch on my element, just to get a ramp type rack for my new ct125.

Oh yes, ALL OF MY ST1300s are Garage/Trailer Queens! :rofl1:

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
I also have gotten quite accustomed to having a wee bit more comfort for destination riding. I might be going over the top a little, but it’s really hard to beat the comfort of the toy hauler.

1710776779138.jpeg

Isn't that what everyone uses to tow their motorcycle? :biggrin: My current motorcycle trailer is a KZ 270THLE with a 1400 lb wd hitch.

Top Bottom