When does the rear shock go?

I'll be looking for a used ST1300 after tax refund next year. Currently I have a 99 Concours with 79,000mi that I commute on and take vacation tours on with my wife. I weighed us and everything else we carry including the loaded bags, gear, etc and it came to 460lbs.

My question about the ST1300's rear shock and spring is does it handle that load fine, or should I plan on installing one of the after market units with more spring with my initial acquisition? Seems I've read on this or another ST forum that some felt the stock rear spring wasn't rated high enough for 2up and loaded.

Thanks for any opinions/advice.

Robert Holmes, Little Rock, Ark.

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'll bet that 99% of the ST1300s on this board are still running the stock shock, this tells you about the ability of the stock shock to carry the load.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'll bet that 99% of the ST1300s on this board are still running the stock shock, this tells you about the ability of the stock shock to carry the load.
Just because it can does not mean it's giving optimal performance. My shock was toast after 26,000. There was no external sign of failure, no fluid leak, nada. Handling went to hell in a hand basket.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Just because it can does not mean it's giving optimal performance. My shock was toast after 26,000. There was no external sign of failure, no fluid leak, nada. Handling went to hell in a hand basket.
Mine failed the same way it just lasted a little longer.

Curt

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'll be looking for a used ST1300 after tax refund next year. Currently I have a 99 Concours with 79,000mi that I commute on and take vacation tours on with my wife. I weighed us and everything else we carry including the loaded bags, gear, etc and it came to 460lbs.

My question about the ST1300's rear shock and spring is does it handle that load fine, or should I plan on installing one of the after market units with more spring with my initial acquisition? Seems I've read on this or another ST forum that some felt the stock rear spring wasn't rated high enough for 2up and loaded.

Thanks for any opinions/advice.

Robert Holmes, Little Rock, Ark.
The maximum payload on a fully fueled bike at the curb is 401 lbs. so you have to decide if 60 lbs over maximum gross weight is too much for your comfort zone. It's not just the shock you might worry about the load on the tires, in particular the rear tire.

Payload isn't one of the 1300's strong points.

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
It's not just the shock you might worry about the load on the tires, in particular the rear tire.
I believe you are correct, I have read that it is actually the tire on any vehicle that determines the load. The stronger the tire, the more you can load on. Of course a really strong tire won't flex as much and would probably give a stiff ride. Tradeoffs.

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
I have over 74k miles on the stock shock with no noticeable ill effects. Maybe I just don't ride hard enough.

Only 40k miles? Why not get it replaced under warranty? That would give you a backup if you wanted to go with an aftermarket shock.

Ray
My ST has over 52,000 mi. and I also have not given a thought to the shock or spring. Reading posts like this makes me think I'm missing something or don't know what I'm missing, :D . Isn't there a good way to decide if the shock or the spring needs replacing. Are you all replacing the spring and the shock or just the shock and keeping the OEM spring?

JDP

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
My ST1300's rear shock appears to be working fine at 52,600 miles. No signs of a leak and there no excess pogo-ing motions when traversing bumps, rises, dips, etc. I have not felt it bottom or top out either. In contrast, my '93 ST1100's shock was toast at 35K. The thing lost all semblance of damping capability rather suddenly on a return trip from Laguna Seca, allowing the back end to pogo up and down continuously. No damping action at all! There were no leaks or any other obvious signs of failure and the damping adjustment screw had no effect.

Later when Ed Lee cut the thing open he said there was still gas pressure in there and it was still full of oil as well. Examining the internals, neither of us could see anything obviously broken or wrong with the internal bits. At this point I figure the shock's damping oil must have sheared/degraded down to a critical viscosity level that was just too low to be effective any longer.

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Has anyone successfully had their STealership replace the rear shock under warranty? If so, how did you convince the service manager that it was bad?

Top Bottom