OP
OP
W0QNX

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
That's good long ride to test your capabilities for sure. I'm glad to hear you're healing up good and out and about again.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Was a very nice day today. Near 60F and sunny but VERY windy. 25+ mph constant wind with higher gusts. Only went for a short ride. 1.5 miles to go to the UPS office to return an Amazon item but forgot they closed 20 minutes before I got there. Then I took the long way home resulting in over 16 miles riding today. I pulled the trailer again for this ride only it was empty so I could see how it went with no load other than the weight of the trailer itself (70 lbs). The trailer bounced a bit more when going over bumps and bigger cracks in the road but otherwise stayed smooth rolling.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
WAS supposed to be raining today so expected to sit at home and watch the WBB championship game. But it clear off enough by lunch time I decided to go out on the roads. Needed gas so rode 1.3 miles to the station to fill up. Then went the long way home for a total of 18 miles. I would have gone a lot farther but the rain returned so I turned right instead of left and came back home. This time I did not take the trailer since I feel good about where I am with that.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
A bright sunny day... for most of the day. Not a cloud in sight at least. A bit windy though. So I went for a ride. I combined parts of a few different routes I usually like to take and ended up with about 94 miles today. I'm calling this ride my Eclipse Ride since I was still riding when the eclipse was starting in my area.\

I made a viewing board to see the eclipse since I didn't have solar glasses. I poked a 1/8 inch hole in one side of a large box, put some masking tape over it and used a sewing pin to poke a very small hole in the center of that. This made for a much cleaner hole for light to pass through. Aiming that hole at the sun during the eclipse revealed an image of the sun and moon on the opposite side of the inside of the box. I was able to see a very clear image and at maximum eclipse for my area the sun was reduced to a very narrow sliver like a slim crescent. That crescent started out on one side and gradually moved to the other side as the moon moved past. Who says you don't remember stuff from elementary school? During the eclipse it looked really strange outside. The sky was clear and the sun was out but it was a subdued light. And inside the house it seemed like a very overcast day.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Last week I told my wife that I'd be able to take my bike and trailer and pick up more stuff at the grocery store. She replied that it's not likely I'd ever want to do that.

Today she wanted me to take all the soda cans in to the redemption center at the grocery store and pick up a few things while there. You guessed it... I took the trailer to go grocery shopping.
I only had the trailer 3/4 filled with the empty cans (we had been collecting through the winter) going to the store and the groceries barely filled up 1/4 the storage of the trailer. Other than the 24 pack of water I bought I could have fit it all in the under seat storage box. The store is about 1.5 miles away from home but the round trip took about 24 miles to complete. :biggrin:

I filled the gas tank while I was out and calculated that the bike is getting 56+ mpg, mostly without the trailer behind. I had calculated on the earlier tank closer to 51 mpg but there was a wicked head wind in addition to the trailer behind me. But still about as expected.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Last week I told my wife that I'd be able to take my bike and trailer and pick up more stuff at the grocery store. She replied that it's not likely I'd ever want to do that.
I agree with your extremely reasonable wife. Your rationalization for both a ride and a trailer sucks... even if it's true. :rofl1:

Of course, she ment you need a bigger trailer if you want to go to the grocery store to get beer and ice for other riders. :thumb:

Tom

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nothing wrong with pulling a little trailer like this one... if I really don't even know it's there most of the time. This trailer is plenty big enough for 3-4 big bags of ice and several cases... If I don't have it packed with anything else. 140+ L for the current model of this trailer. The original company said 166+ L.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Down to Midland, TX and back today. 550 miles but no pretty scenery to show for it unless you like oil wells.
If you ever fly over Midland you cannot believe all the well sites visible from the air and at night all the tank battery flares burning. Love those oil wells and natural gas plants that have allowed a retirement that keeps me on two wheels. Managed to work in that area for many years and not suck up any H2S so still here and kicking.

Drill baby drill!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another sunny day up to 74F. We were told to expect lots of clouds to block out the sun but there were very few clouds instead.
My wife has been trying to buy a new swimsuit and with Amazon you know that means ordering a lot and returning a lot... especially in this case. So today was another trip to the UPS store to return a half dozen items. 2 miles to the store, and another 36 miles home for a total of 38 miles today. My wife decided to stop wondering why it took me so long to get home from 2 miles away so SHE went shopping... again.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another bright sunny day with temps up to 86+F. I usually don't open the vents on my riding gear until 86 and I was just about to stop and do just that... but I didn't so it was a warm ride today. I did take out all the wind liners from the gear at least. We expect one more day of this heat wave and then rain Tuesday and temps dropping to mid 50s F after that for several days. So enjoying it while it's here.

I needed to finally take my used oil to drop off at Walmart. 3 jugs have been sitting in my garage for a long time. Since my wife insists I use the JD riding lawn mower at least every other time I mow the lawn I also needed to fill the 5 gallon jug with gas. But I decided to go "old school" and strap everything on the back seat instead of using the trailer. I didn't want to get oil and gas all inside the trailer. I know, I could have put in a plastic sheet to keep it clean but the smell...

I didn't take everything at once since it all really didn't fit at once. So I strapped on an old milk crate to take the oil jugs first and dropped those off. Then came home and strapped on the gas jug and went to fill that up. Then came home to drop off the gas jug and took off on a little ride just because I felt like it. I do feel like there have been several months that I haven't gone for a ride as often as I would like so now I feel like I can get back to that... now that certain projects are done. And, no, the cold months didn't slow me down as much as usual since I ride in cold weather anyway as some of you know.

Today I rode a total of only 30+ miles.

Here are the oil jugs strapped on... Yep, old school style...

Here is the gas can...

And here is a very popular newer playground we took our grandkids to once and they loved it. A lot of stuff you can't see below the fence. The entire playground area is sitting on a very soft rubber cushion. Those are 4 towers, 3 of them are 3 stories high and the taller one is 4 stories high. No adult other than a stick figure can get into that one since the access is just WAY too small for a normal person. My youngest granddaughter made it up to the 3rd floor of that one and couldn't get down and I couldn't get up to help her so another kid assisted. Good on her. Passed this on my ride today.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Went to a friends house 12 miles away from home to check out helping them mount a deck umbrella. Took me 65 miles to get there however. :biggrin:
It was another bright sunny cloudless day with temps ranging from 75F up to 80F by the end of the ride. Expecting thunder storms to start around midnight and continuing all day and into the next morning after that. And with temps dropping into the mid 50sF for several days after that. I did the same route last year once but today I did it in reverse. A lot of riding 55 mph roads with a little bit of everything else from 20 mph school zone up to 70(+) mph Interstate. The AK performed flawlessly as usual. Stopped to fill the tank and put 2.67 gallons in the 3.85 gallon tank. Calculated this tank gave me about 57.7+ mpg. Total miles today ended up being almost 82 miles all the way around. :D

Top Bottom