Where do I buy the feeler gauge and micrometer?

RCS

I've seen the one hour valve adjustment video - great by the way - and read almost all of the threads on the valve adjustment subject as well as the Service Manual.

Where can I find the right feeler gauge and micrometer to do the ST1300 valve check/adjustment?

The feeler gauge ideally will have the following measures with "tails" at both ends:

mm: .13, .14, .15, .16, .17, .18, .19 (for the intake valves)
mm: .22, .23, .24, .25, .26, .27, .28 (for the exhaust valves)

The micrometer will ideally measure tolerances in the .025mm range.

(I figure if my valves need new shims I can order them from Honda in .025mm increments)

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Bob, I have a full kit for doing valve checks and adjustments that I loan out to people as long as they cover the postage. It's on the way back as we speak, and if you want to use it, drop me a line with your address and I'll put it in the mail when it gets here.

--Mark

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Feeler guages are avail from any auto supply store.
I found those bent ones that I noted above (tappet gauges) very hard to find. I went all over Houston trying to find the blasted things. The store I finally saw them at was about 25 miles away!

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

I bought mine years ago at NAPA Auto Parts. Looks like they still have it online. It's called a tappet feeler gauge:

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=SER&PartNumber=170&Description=Feeler+Gauge

Don't have a micrometer, have never needed it. All 3 ST1100's I've owned have always been in spec.
Thanks for the link to Napa. I checked out that tappet feeler gauge and it won't be as precise as I'll want. I'll want to have feeler gauges in increments of 1/100th of a mm for the range .11 to .30mm. The particular gauge referenced jumps 2-3/100ths of a mm at at time. I thought there might be a special supplier for this precision feeler gauge.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Bob, I have a full kit for doing valve checks and adjustments that I loan out to people as long as they cover the postage. It's on the way back as we speak, and if you want to use it, drop me a line with your address and I'll put it in the mail when it gets here.

--Mark
Thanks for the offer. The tools seem relatively inexpensive, if I can find them, and I don't need a valve inspection for a few months. I'm going to try to purchase a precision set since I'll need it at least 5 times. My plan is to also opt for the Honda shims that jump in .025mm increments, if needed.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
My plan is to also opt for the Honda shims that jump in .025mm increments, if needed.
Before you opt for that route, check to see if your local dealer will swap shims.
The Honda shims run $5.00 each, come in 69 sizes, and you won't know which ones you need ahead of time. The HotCams and Sudco kits are both under $100 and will give you one size guaranteed to bring you into spec.

BTW: The feeler gauge set in my kt is a Craftsman model 40802. The KD Tools KDS2424 is also a suitable set. Both are available online from Sears for around $12; the Craftsman set is occasionally available in their stores.

--Mark

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Before you opt for that route, check to see if your local dealer will swap shims.
The Honda shims run $5.00 each, come in 69 sizes, and you won't know which ones you need ahead of time. The HotCams and Sudco kits are both under $100 and will give you one size guaranteed to bring you into spec.

BTW: The feeler gauge set in my kt is a Craftsman model 40802. The KD Tools KDS2424 is also a suitable set. Both are available online from Sears for around $12; the Craftsman set is occasionally available in their stores.

--Mark
Thanks Mark. I'm going to head down to Sears this morning. Going through the garage at my weekend place I found my old feeler gauges, spark plug wrenches, impact screwdrivers, etc. Let's just say they sat a few summers too many without use in a humid garage. Can you say rusted beyond all recognition (RBAR). Regarding the feeler gauge I realize I may need to use two feeler bars to get increments of 1/100th of a mm, but that is okay as I'd rather have the precision.

After watching that great 1 hour ST1100 valve adjustment video it seemed very easy to get caught up in the process and lose focus on the actual precise valve clearance measurements. I want to make sure I have the right tools for the job.

Regarding the shims, I can leave the plastic off my bike for a few weeks in my garage if I need to order shims. That isn't a problem.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Forgot to reply to this before:

I'll want to have feeler gauges in increments of 1/100th of a mm for the range .11 to .30mm. The particular gauge referenced jumps 2-3/100ths of a mm at at time.
Most of the sets you find in the U.S. are inches in 0.001" increments. If you convert that to metric, you'll find it's 0.0254 mm, or the 0.02-0.03 you saw.

You'll be hard pressed to find a set of metric gauges for sale in the U.S. that covers the right range in the right increments. You'll be even harder pressed to find a set that's offset, and you really want offset feelers for this job. I've looked high and low and couldn't find a set without ordering a custom set from a gauge manufacturer.

Fortunately, Honda specifies the clearances in inches and millimeters, so you can work in either. I do mine in inches, and if I ever need to twiddle the shims, I'll convert the measurements to metric.

--Mark

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I buy most of my machine tools from MSC, they have some calipers and Mics on sale now.
http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhmw Click the "sales flyers" on the right.
You don't really need a quality micrometer or even a cheap one for a valve adjust, a low-range digital caliper will be accurate enough and prove useful for many other jobs, plus it switches from standard to metric with a button.
You probably need something like this for the clearance check, http://www.toolsource.com/feeler-gauge-valvetappet-p-71056.html

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the link to Napa. I checked out that tappet feeler gauge and it won't be as precise as I'll want. I'll want to have feeler gauges in increments of 1/100th of a mm for the range .11 to .30mm. The particular gauge referenced jumps 2-3/100ths of a mm at at time. I thought there might be a special supplier for this precision feeler gauge.
Please post where you got it - if you find one.

Thanks!

-Geo

okotokssteve

Steve Crowe
Bike
2004 ST1300
I just bought a used Metric Starrett micrometer on Ebay. My landed cost to my door was under $40. The imperial micrometers are a really pain when everything is in metric and I found my cheap micrometer isn't as nice to use as this tool makers grade unit. If you look on Ebay.ca, most of the vendors will ship. I agree with Mark on the Hot Shims, I think you will be running back and forth to the dealer and the Hot Shims will do the trick.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Forgot to reply to this before:

Most of the sets you find in the U.S. are inches in 0.001" increments. If you convert that to metric, you'll find it's 0.0254 mm, or the 0.02-0.03 you saw.

You'll be hard pressed to find a set of metric gauges for sale in the U.S. that covers the right range in the right increments. You'll be even harder pressed to find a set that's offset, and you really want offset feelers for this job. I've looked high and low and couldn't find a set without ordering a custom set from a gauge manufacturer.

Fortunately, Honda specifies the clearances in inches and millimeters, so you can work in either. I do mine in inches, and if I ever need to twiddle the shims, I'll convert the measurements to metric.

--Mark

You are right about the feeler gauges. I searched in the US and can find what I want but will have to use two feeler gauge strips to make it work in 1/100ths of a mm increments. I want to use mm because I can get a plus or minus 3 increments around the ideal valve clearance measure instead of just one increment using inches. This will help someone like me more easily ensure that I"m in the acceptable clearance range.

As you suggest, when in need of metric go to the land of metric. I'll search the internet for tool shops in the UK.

Although, I did pick up some neat tools at Sears yesterday. I got a 12 inch echer/pick to clean the bugs out of my radiator, a set of 10 craftsman metric hex keys with T handles for only $14, a 17mm socket for the valve inspection, a feeler gauge, and a spark plug gap measurement/adjustment tool.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Please post where you got it - if you find one.

Thanks!

-Geo

I found a machine shop here in CT that can custom make a set of feeler strips for me. I asked them to put together a quote for a custom set that would work for the ST1300 - .13 mm to .28mm in 1/100th mm jumps or 16 feeler strips 4 inches long each. They will quote me a price for a quantity of 1, 10, and 25 units. If there is enough interest, maybe we can do a group buy. I'll have the estimate Tuesday.

http://www.easterngage.com/custom-feeler-gage-sets.asp

I did find a neat digimatic Micrometer from Mitutoyo. It is model MDC-S metric no. 293-821. It is digital down to .001mm accurate and only costs $115 new. I'm going to hold off buying one since my valve inspection has an 80 percent chance of not requiring shims - according to a recent survey on this site! If I have to re-shim, I'll absolutely splurge for the micrometer. Cross my fingers.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I went with the 293-344. Metric and Inch pushbutton origin, zero offset, hold and 2x accuraracy. $140 amazon. The large thimbal is a friction ratchet that is good for casual use.

I found a machine shop here in CT that can custom make a set of feeler strips for me. I asked them to put together a quote for a custom set that would work for the ST1300 - .13 mm to .28mm in 1/100th mm jumps or 16 feeler strips 4 inches long each. They will quote me a price for a quantity of 1, 10, and 25 units. If there is enough interest, maybe we can do a group buy. I'll have the estimate Tuesday.

I did find a neat digimatic Micrometer from Mitutoyo. It is model MDC-S metric no. 293-821. It is digital down to .001mm accurate and only costs $115 new. I'm going to hold off buying one since my valve inspection has an 80 percent chance of not requiring shims - according to a recent survey on this site! If I have to re-shim, I'll absolutely splurge for the micrometer. Cross my fingers.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #

I am interested in purchasing a set comprised of blades in the 0.13 - 0.28 mm range. Preferably tapered blades. A metric set allows more resolution regarding the actual clearance of the valves as compared to an English set graduated in 0.001" increments.

I currently have a tapered set that has 0.03 to 0.09 mm (0.01 increments), and 0.10 to 1.00 mm (0.05 increments) manufactured in Germany. It would be nice to have a set comprised of the exact values used in the ST for time savings sake.

I too use a Mitutoyo micrometer with an accuracy of ?0.00005" (?0.00127 mm) which is quite handy for many purposes including checking the actual thickness of feeler gauge blades. Feeler gauges have an uncertainty...and some of the 'cheap' ones can vary by as much as half the stated value depending on size.

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I havent looked up the specs, but i assume like most bucket/shim systems there is an acceptable tolerance range of about .004 inches? Splitting hairs beyond what is required would be fruitless.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

I havent looked up the specs, but i assume like most bucket/shim systems there is an acceptable tolerance range of about .004 inches? Splitting hairs beyond what is required would be fruitless.
I agree that splitting hairs beyond the required tolerances is fruitless.

What I'm looking for is certainty in each valve clearance measure. If I have several different feeler sticks for a .25 mm measure (for example .21, .22, .23, .24, .25, .26, .27, .28) I can be more certain that the measure I make for each valve clearance is correct.

For me, there is no point in taking off all the plastic and valve covers if I can't get a very good and fast measurement of the clearances.

The machine shop guy hasn't called me back yet. If he doesn't call today, I call him Thursday.

Once I have the estimate, I'll post the offering in the Group Buy section of this site. He threw some very rough numbers by me the other day. He said set-up is the big expense and then as you run off units the expense goes down. I'm guessing that for a 10 unit run they will cost about $35 each plus shipping. I will let you know when I know.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Sorry, Bob, I don't know why I had it in my head that you were going to try and measure everything down to five decimal places. :nuts1:

--Mark

Top Bottom