which cruise control?

Bike
05 ST1300
A friend and I are up gradeing my 05 ST1300 and decided to put on cruise control.
I looked through several articles on the Rostra and auto vox systems but did"t know which would be best.
I couldn't find a model number on the Rostra unit so wondered if one model was better then any other.
I would be grateful for any information.
Thanks Gofstrtad

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
If you're looking to go a little less $ and installation work...I have a BrakeAway throttle lock. Excellent product. Probably not what you're looking for, but thought I'd give them a plug. https://brakeawayproducts.com/

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The Rosta is electronic and doesn’t require vacuum like the audiovox system. The Rosta is slightly more money. Both do a good job

Bike
05 ST
Installed MC Cruise On my 2005 ST when I got it in 05, now it’s 19 years young and has not missed a beat in 110,000 miles. it cost more than the others, but was worth it for me.......

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I've a big fan of the MCCruise out of Australia. They are more expensive (a lot depends on the exchange rate) but it is an excellent unit designed for a motorcycle and they provide excellent support.
+1 from me for the MC Cruise from Australia. Not cheap, but it works perfectly, the equipment they supply is top notch, and the installation instructions are very well written.

Michael

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
+1 from me for the MC Cruise from Australia. Not cheap, but it works perfectly, the equipment they supply is top notch, and the installation instructions are very well written.
Michael
I did a Skype a few weeks ago with Tony down there on installing an upgrade to one of my older units. You can't beat the support that they provide.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
The new unit for the ST1100 require the purchase of a new electronic servo module. Has anyone installed this new module on an ST1100? I was wondering where it would fit. Honestly, the servo instructions have scared me off.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The new unit for the ST1100 require the purchase of a new electronic servo module. Has anyone installed this new module on an ST1100? I was wondering where it would fit. Honestly, the servo instructions have scared me off.
Don't be sceered. It's not than fifficult. I haven't put a CC on my ST1100 yet, but I will this spring. As I said, I put one on my Nighthawk 750, and the 1100 will be almost identical, as both have mechanical speedometers, requiring magnets and a pickup coil.

I used to install car stereos back in the days of 8-tracks, and cruise controls were a second thing we did, so I've probably installed 15 to 20 over the years. The Rostra all-electronic unit I recommended is much easier than the vacuum-operated units to install.

I am still debating whether to use the same Trailtech 8500RS 3-button switch (see below) I used on the Nighthawk or the Goldwing right-hand switch housing that many other cruise-control installers have opted for.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Don't be sceered. It's not than fifficult. I haven't put a CC on my ST1100 yet, but I will this spring. As I said, I put one on my Nighthawk 750, and the 1100 will be almost identical, as both have mechanical speedometers, requiring magnets and a pickup coil.

I used to install car stereos back in the days of 8-tracks, and cruise controls were a second thing we did, so I've probably installed 15 to 20 over the years. The Rostra all-electronic unit I recommended is much easier than the vacuum-operated units to install.

I am still debating whether to use the same Trailtech 8500RS 3-button switch (see below) I used on the Nighthawk or the Goldwing right-hand switch housing that many other cruise-control installers have opted for.

You don’t need magnets for the 1100 if you use the audiovox, you just tap into the coil. Supposedly you can do the same with the Rosta , that’s what I’m hoping

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The trick with cruise on the ST1100 is getting the throttle cable connection correct. If you don't use the MCCruise CIU, then you usually end up drilling a hole(s) in the double bell crank for attaching an arm or a chain. If you mess it up, the crank is braided onto the carbs so you get to replace your carbs. The CIU integrates the cables without messing with all of that in a very clever way. That in itself was worth the price of admission for me. I don't know if they still sell the CIU separately or not.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I don't know if they still sell the CIU separately or not.
I just crawled all over their site. I found the CIU for both single- and dual-spool versions, something to do with the cable arrangement, like splitting into two. I'm guessing the ST1100 would take the single spool type. Their 1100 kit comes with a speed sensor coil and wheel magnets, so it doesn't read ignition pulses, unless that's something new.

Their vacuum servos, which are probably Audiovox units, are being superseded by electrical ones, which are not duplicates of Rostra units. Their servo is cylindrical, while the Rostra servo is a rectangular box. They do have bike-specific speed sensor coil brackets, not a big deal to me; the one on my Nighthawk would be unnoticeable if I painted it black.

On my Nighthawk, I didn't need anything but the thin wire loop that I put the barrel of the pull cable through, so it shares the pulley wheel. I've read that the ST wheel is solid and can't fit the loop without machining, and that a popular DIY interface is an arm screwed to the wheel. That also gives the servo more leverage and probably smoother operation.

To me, the greatest plus about their kits is the control panel, which is clearly made for bikes, is also sold separately, but requires a separate mounting bracket and, if it matters to you, a separate back seal. For the ST1100, there's this: THE ELECTRIC SERVO UPGRADE KIT MUST BE PURCHASED WITH THIS PRODUCT, which tells me the price is going to break US$1K for everything.

In my opinion, as a DIYer, that is just too steep compared to a Rostra kit at around $200, plus a coil kit and the handle-bar switch I posted earlier. The switch has up (acc/res) and down (dec/set) arrow buttons, and a bar on the center button I wired as a cancel with a tiny relay to ground the clutch-switch wire. A resistor dimly lights the kickstand light when set.

My servo is in an empty space behind the transmission, above the swing-arm pivot and below the airbox. The throttle cable points to the right and curves up, toward the front, and then down, the outer tube clamped to the bike's pull-cable's outer tube. With the above-mentioned wire loop around the cable barrel end, secured with a baby nylon wire tie.

I used four magnets, attached to the chain side of the rear wheel hub with a long wire tie made from four, and the coil is mounted to the tip of the swing-arm with the bracket bent in an L so the coil bolt head actually faces the front of the bike. Cars use one magnet for a rear-drive drive shaft or two for a FWD axle; I used four for greater "resolution" reading speed.

About the ignition connection: according to the Rostra instructions, this signal is used to prevent the engine from over-revving in case you bump an auto tranny into neutral, but not for maintaining speed. Since I connected the neutral safety wire to the bike's neutral light, and I connected to both the brake-light and clutch switches, I didn't worry about the tach wire.

It took me one long day to get it in and wired, and about six attempts to get the DIP switch settings just right. It works just as well as a factory-installed cruise control in a car, as long as I keep the engine RPM from dropping too low up a hill. It maintains speed on the highway like it outta. Instructions (for cars) here: http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1223Form4565G.pdf

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ST1100 is a dual spool - two cables around the carb pull. Their Vacuum servo was not a Audiovox because their manufacturer cracked the mold and could not make any more so they went with the new electronic servo. Their kits come complete down to the tie wraps and with excellent instructions, plus the ability to easily make many electronic adjustments for fine tuning. Everything pigtails in so you could pull it off one bike and install it on another. Their switch is waterproof and comes with the proper mounting bracket - mine have been through more frog drownings than I care to think about. I've got three of their units so I am very familiar with them. "I've read that the ST wheel is solid and can't fit the loop without machining, and that a popular DIY interface is an arm screwed to the wheel. That also gives the servo more leverage and probably smoother operation - that is correct as I stated earlier and one of the reasons I like the MCCruise CIU. Drilling the bellcrank - unless you want to pull the carbs so you can get to it - is a royal pain. Their price has a lot to do with the exchange rate - when I got mine they were around $550. So when I looked at the price of the Rostra, all the extra bits and pieces I was going to have to buy plus pulling the carbs (BTDT more than once), the MCCruise was a no brainer for me. It's your nickels so you get to spend them however you want. :biggrin: For controls for the Rostra, there is a write up somewhere that uses the ST1100 Police switch - which is weather proof - to control the Rostra. Reg Siemens was the first to do that and it makes a really nice setup (the 1-2-3 part of the switch). A lot of folks go with the Audiovox because it is so much cheaper and just seal up the control to try to make it weatherproof. Good luck on whatever you chose to use.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Cruise control–curious I sent an email to MC Cruise requesting the Installation Manual and got a pleasant reply in return. Along with the manual were some additional hints regarding the installation.

A bit that impressed me was the customer support. It said that if there's a problem 'don't waste time' with the diagnostic routine — just get in touch and they could 'almost certainly' get you sorted straightaway. How often does a company want you to talk to them about any problems?

They are a little pricey but do it once and the cost is forgotten. I'm just not sure I'm up to the installation task. But the idea of an actual CC is growing on me.

At the risk of starting a best oil–type highjack — what are the thoughts of the MCC switch set — under or over? I'm thinking under but I see myself hitting the horn more than I'd like.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I know I'm not up to it. I inquired about an install at the garage event in Indiana this Spring, He was willing, but I've got a feeling it may be too much for a one day event, although I believe there would be a great deal of interest in an install. My regular mechanic is becoming more successful and probably won't have time to fool with this.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Robert - My first one on the ST1100 took pretty much all day as I went very slowly. The second took about 4-5 hours. On the first one I was having problems getting the CIU adjusted properly. I sent them an email and a few hours later my phone rang. It was one of the owners in Australia to help me get it figured out. They also came up with a 'replacement' brain that retros into the wiring of my old units and will allow me to switch to the electric servo if I decide or need to. I don't know how the install goes on the ST1300 as it's a different electronic animal. IIRC, there's one connection that's a it fussy to get to.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I know I'm not up to it. I inquired about an install at the garage event in Indiana this Spring, He was willing, but I've got a feeling it may be too much for a one day event, although I believe there would be a great deal of interest in an install. My regular mechanic is becoming more successful and probably won't have time to fool with this.
It can be done in a day, it’s all in the prep. Having said that, I’m currently upgrading from a audiovox to a Rostra. I thought I could install the Rostra servo in the same spot as the Audiovox by the left tip over bar. The Rostra unit being a rectangle instead of a cylinder makes that impossible. ( the Vox is 3.5” in diameter, the Rosta is 4”x5”x2.5”) I have an ABS model and there’s no room in the fairing to put the servo so it has to go in the tail section. It fits in there, however I now have to extend the cable to reach the throttle. A visit to a bicycle shop has allowed me to McGiver an extension. The wiring is relatively easy, the caveat being I don’t have LED’s in the brake light system, so I don’t need to install a relay. Murphs kits sells an adapter to get the speed pulse off of the coil for the Rostra unit. Unfortunately it doesn’t fit the 1100, but all it is, is a twofer to tap into the coil wire, so I just tapped into the coil wire directly. I also opted for a GW1500 RH control switch. That took me some time to sort the wiring and shorten the harnes coming from the switch.
If the pulse from the coil doesn’t work to maintain my speed on the Rostra unit, I do have the magnet sensor that came with my Audiovox unit. (It wasn’t needed when I first installed the vacuum cruise control.)
I used the “drill a hole and tap a screw”in the bell housing method without an arm. I got my mechanic to do that part. The rest I did myself.
Now I have to wait till the middle of April to test and tweak the system.

Top Bottom