Woo Hoo - the bird flies! (don't need no stinking conveyer belt....)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Dace, all the lighting wiring is similar to the 11 (same colors anyway) and John Oo has a link to large full color wiring diagram for it. Send him a note.

Good to see ya doing work on it. And I'll parrot Adam's question: how's the bread truck?

I was gonna go look for the naked stree fighter pics, ya beat me to it. :D

Keep us poSTed.

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
The bread truck is coming along slowly but it's coming along. I picked up a Coleman multifuel camp stove and a small fridge so now have kitchen capabilities. I haven't quite decided what I want it to be so don't want to put too much into it until I decide. My big dilemma is between toy hauler (bike(s) inside) versus bike(s) outside. So, the bread truck is still pretty bare-bones on the inside.

Also, found the nice color wiring diagram that Anna's Dad posted (and I've also PM'd Anna's Dad since he really has a handle on electrical!).

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
I'm feeling a bit inspired by the Moto Guzzi Stelvio..... Especially since my headlight/dash pod survived....

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
The bread truck is coming along slowly but it's coming along. .....I haven't quite decided what I want it to be so don't want to put too much into it until I decide. My big dilemma is between toy hauler (bike(s) inside) versus bike(s) outside. So, the bread truck is still pretty bare-bones on the inside.....
What you're doing is something I gave a lot of thought to. I would suggest picking up a small box trailer to pull behind the bread truck. You can keep the bike, gear, and tools locked up in there and not occupy added space inside the bread truck. Keeping the bike inside the bread truck looks great on paper until the one day you're working on it and need to leave it in pieces overnight for some reason. The inside of the bread truck isn't that big so you'd be crawling over parts. Best to have living quarters and bike quarters separated.

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Okay, got the wiring sussed out. The big chunk branching off just before the ECU is definitely to the ABS module (which, on my bike is now somewhere in small, busted-up bits in NM). I've not yet taken a photo but all those exposed ends are now neatly taped.

The rear brake light is now working (along with the tail running light). The culprit was the 15 amp HORN fuse (in one of the left side under-seat fuse boxes) which also gets power to the brake light. Hmmm, wonder why that fuse blew? :D

We now have headlights, brake light, tail light, and horn! Bought some cheap cut to shape mirror stuff at Autozone and also have mirrors (okay, they definitely have a fun house waviness to them but....).

I can actually take it in and tag it now!

BTW, those with ABS may like to know, the brakes work fine without the ABS module plugged in. They, obviously, don't have the ABS function but do stop the bike as brakes are normally expected to do.

Attachments

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I had wondered about 'emergency ABS' usage, when the module fails or McGyver needs it to control the reactor. Good to know that the brakes function normally.

Not, you understand, that I have an ABS bike. I probably will, some day...

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
ABS is a failsafe design. If the fuse blows or the pump dies, the pressure goes through. As Yankees will tell you if it goes out, you slide sideways into the accident instead of straight in ;)
I've pulled the fuse on my P/U as it is an early gen two channel ABS and one wheel on slick will keep me from stopping where without the other three wheels stop me fine.

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
@ dana - the ECU was chewed up in the crash but I at least found the pieces of it. The ABS module seems to have been trashed enough that no pieces were recovered (and, obviously, the plugs were demolished, too). I'm guessing that the ECU was stacked ON TOP of the ABS module so the ABS module shielded the ECU a little from the shredding tire while taking the brunt of the abuse. The ECU in the photo is one I got off of ebay to replace the chewed up one. I totally spaced that there was also an ABS module. To add to the confusion, I'd purchased the ECU and a wiring harness from the same folks (wrecking yard) on ebay and both were SUPPOSED to be from an ABS model. The ECU plastic case is embossed with ABS but the wiring harness they sent me is actually a standard wiring harness (they'd stuck a tag on it saying ABS). So, I have a wiring harness that doesn't have that bunch of wires branching off just before the ECU laying on the floor as a reference and the one on my bike had all this extra stuff which made for about a day's worth of confusion.

Anyway, I'll end up putting the standard wiring harness back for sale on ebay (since I'd bought it not only as a reference harness but also to salvage new plugs off of) and see if I can manage to pick up an ABS wiring harness (there's one on ebay right now that also has the ABS module with it - keeping fingers crossed).

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
So, here's the latest that got done on Monday.

Cut off the damaged rear fender and started making an aluminum "tray" to take it's place. Disassembled the dash and fabbed a couple of mounting brackets. I'm looking at removing the headlight fairing and using just the headlight bucket to mount the headlight higher and give a couple more inches of front fork travel.

Not a lot but moving along....

Attachments

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Could someone with an ABS bike take a look at their GREY ECU plug and let me know the order of the wires? I'm in the process of replacing my busted ECU plugs and want to be sure that the wires are plugged into it in the correct order. I think I may have accidentally switched the two pale green wires (one has a white line and one doesn't).

I'll need someone with 2007 or older ST to check the wire order (apparently, in 2008 Honda CHANGED the ECU to a smaller one with different plugs as I discovered when I bought a 2008 wiring harness of ebay the the ABS unit was the same but the ECU unit is different).

STOC #
Could someone with an ABS bike take a look at their GREY ECU plug and let me know the order of the wires? I'm in the process of replacing my busted ECU plugs and want to be sure that the wires are plugged into it in the correct order. I think I may have accidentally switched the two pale green wires (one has a white line and one doesn't).

I'll need someone with 2007 or older ST to check the wire order (apparently, in 2008 Honda CHANGED the ECU to a smaller one with different plugs as I discovered when I bought a 2008 wiring harness of ebay the the ABS unit was the same but the ECU unit is different).
I can look at this tomorrow for you Dace...but have you looked at the 2007 Schematic?

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Thanks Larry - the 2007 and 2006 have the same part number. Part number changes in 2008.

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Yes, the schematic is wonderful but doesn't show exact placement of wires in plugs.

Thanks for the photos!

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
So, got the ECU plugged in. Got a new/used rear rim to replace the really chewed up rim. Got the horn and lights all working. Got some after-market mirrors mounted. Mounted up an old night-vision goggles box as a top box. Picked up a car battery box for $11 and made rear fender/box to hold electrics. Mounted a tag and some after-market turn signals.

Took her out for a 150 mile twisty road run on Sunday and then another 260 miles of expressway.

Runs out strong and smooth.

Amazingly, without the fairing or windshield there is surprisingly little buffeting. I was wearing a Shoei Hornet dual-sport helmet and didn't experience a lot of helmet pull. I did notice more wind when doing head-checks.

I haven't refilled with gas since the 260 mile expressway run but, at least on the trip computer, the gas mileage seemed higher than previously. I'll fill up with gas today and do a quick calculation to see what the mpg was.

So far here are some more pictures.

Eventually, I'd like to raise the headlight, trim the front fender (and possibly add a beak), and play with some lexan to make "mini" fairings.

Attachments

Top Bottom