Your Best Safety Tips!

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I am going to be making some YouTube videos on my best motorcycle riding safety tips that have kept me safe for almost 50 years.

Please share with me a few of your best safety tips that have kept you safe, wheels down and head up...

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I'm a fan of covering the front brake with a finger or two.
Leave enough room in front of you when stopping to allow you an out if the person behind you can't stop in time.... goes along with make sure you know what's behind you when stopped.
When you see one deer run across the road there are often more that may be following.

There really are so many tips and tricks.

You have to know them, and then practice them to keep them like muscle memory.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
expect to crash on every ride, because you just never know when it might happen. Even if you're extra careful, sometimes things happen that you just can't predict. If you aren't prepared to crash on every ride, don't ride.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Practice, practice, and practice! Find a parking lot that you can work on slow and medium speed maneuvers.

Practicing PANIC BRAKING, even when riding 2 up! You want your pillion to know just how hard you can brake when needed!

And it goes without saying: ATGATT!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
One thing I have always done (in the car as well), is, when approaching an intersection, I glance at the front wheel of the vehicle at 90 degrees to me (so when the other driver is to stop at a light or stop sign). If that wheel isn’t slowing down (rotation is not slowing), they’re likely to run to stop sign or red light, so I’m ready to act in that event. Never trust the other driver to do the right thing (many aren’t paying attention).

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
One thing I have always done (in the car as well), is, when approaching an intersection, I glance at the front wheel of the vehicle at 90 degrees to me (so when the other driver is to stop at a light or stop sign). If that wheel isn’t slowing down (rotation is not slowing), they’re likely to run to stop sign or red light, so I’m ready to act in that event. Never trust the other driver to do the right thing (many aren’t paying attention).
Same here. Parked cars pulling out, too. It's easier to see rotation than linear motion.

Bike
2006 ST 1300
At stop lights and stop signs, Never stop in the "grease strip" in the center of the lane. Also, I see this time and again. Riders at stop lights in addition to tail gating. They leave the bike in neutral which totally negates their escape rout capability!! Then the light changes they slam the bike in gear....till the next light.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Watch your mirrors when stopped or stopping.

I don’t ride behind a truck or trailer with a sketchy load or anything with a bike on a bike rack for very long.

I try not to ride beside vehicles especially big trucks on the interstate. If I pass I get it done quickly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom