Your Best Safety Tips!

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have another one- when stopping more abruptly (due to a red light turning red), look in the rear view mirror before a full stop in case you have to launch it through the light because someone isn’t aware you stopped. Also, it’s generally a good idea to have a 3rd brake light flasher (on a car) or a tail light flasher on a bike that is on rapid 4 flashes and decaying to full on- make the other drivers alert (hopefully).

Mary-Anne

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
STOC #
When in front of a large truck / bus, don't ride in line with their headlight. I had a friend tell me he almost pulled out in front of me. He saw the school bus and 2 headlights. At first, he didn't notice that 1 of those headlights was me!

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I watch the driver ahead of me, watching for subtle moves of the shoulder or head. A shoulder movement can indicate they may turn left or right and may or may not use their indicators. Movements of the head may indicate whether they are texting, wether they use their mirrors, paying attention, drinking coffee, eating or any other distractions.
Making eye contact with other drivers at intersections. Never assume drivers know the protocols at a four way stop when you all arrive at the intersection at the same time.
always look for an escape route. Try and stay off multilane highways and if you must use them, keep out of the centre lane as much as possible.
Take a break, stretch your legs, keep hydrated. Being too hot or too cold affects response time wear appropriate gear.
use a traffic app when approaching congested areas so you can get info on alternate routes.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
1 The throttle works BOTH ways. 2 When approaching unknown bends, in slow out fast or in fast and out feet first. 3 There are old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists - but there are no old, bold motorcyclists.
Indeed, proper braking starts with proper use of the accelerator... ;)
Too keen on the first will make the second very hard to accomplish...

Watch your mental state...
personal problems/crisis, arguments at the job, frustration, etc... can impair your focus...
hence don't let other road users provoke you, whacking the throttle in anger equals having one leg already in the wooden chest...

Bike
2010 ST1300
Again - ATGATT. No cutting corners here - how often have I wanted to go for a short ride to the store in sneakers and regular pants? As @dwalby said, if you are not prepped to crash, don't ride.

This is not for everyone, but I now wear a Turtle 2 airbag vest - and I feel like I left something off if I get on the bike without it.

HDub

A Few VFRs. A SuperHawk.
Bike
03 ST1300
Every year around this time I pull my copy of Practical Motorcycling from the shelf and spend some time before bed paging through it. There's an awful lot of good information in there, and I find that bringing it forward in my mind after a winter of 4wd and airbags is very useful.

Bike
2014 ST1300
Watch your mental state...
personal problems/crisis, arguments at the job, frustration, etc... can impair your focus...
hence don't let other road users provoke you, whacking the throttle in anger equals having one leg already in the wooden chest...
This part resonates. Focus is an issue with my ADHD. One trick is to just be running a constant narrative out loud as to what is going on around you.

My rules to a Safe ride.
Number One , We are invisible on a Motorcycle!!!
Number Two ,Am I Mentally and phyically fit to Ride?
Number Three ,Is my Bike fit to Ride?
Number Four , Take the cage if you have to get somewhere in a "Hurry" or if you are breaking rule 2 or 3 .
Been adding this one after watching to many Youtube video's , You don't own the blanking ROAD , be ready to stop and let the cager make his left turn!
Post your Video here when its done ,cheers

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Again - ATGATT. No cutting corners here - how often have I wanted to go for a short ride to the store in sneakers and regular pants? As @dwalby said, if you are not prepped to crash, don't ride.

This is not for everyone, but I now wear a Turtle 2 airbag vest - and I feel like I left something off if I get on the bike without it.
This, exactly…I won’t ride without my vest.

OP
OP
Jay51
Bike
2006 ST1300A
My rules to a Safe ride.
Number One , We are invisible on a Motorcycle!!!
Number Two ,Am I Mentally and phyically fit to Ride?
Number Three ,Is my Bike fit to Ride?
Number Four , Take the cage if you have to get somewhere in a "Hurry" or if you are breaking rule 2 or 3 .
Been adding this one after watching to many Youtube video's , You don't own the blanking ROAD , be ready to stop and let the cager make his left turn!
Post your Video here when its done ,cheers
Yes, I will post the safety videos here. Each safety tip will be it's own video.

OP
OP
Jay51
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I live in California, where lane splitting is a daily event on the freeways during rush hour traffic. I have many tips to share about lane splitting. But, would like to hear yours too... Please post them...

Top Bottom