Your new car is collecting data about how you drive...and sharing it w/ insurance co.'s

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Most, if not all, newer vehicles are GPS equipped whether or not the vehicle is equipped to allow the occupants to interface with it or even know that if is there.

The EU has mandated that all new vehicles as of a certain year be GPS equipped and that it always be active. It must also display to the driver the current speed limit based on the vehicles current location on any road where that information is available.

How long will it be before people will be getting speeding tickets sent to them by their own vehicle?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
They also want to be able to disable a car in the event of a police chase or other reasons.
That has existed for quite a while already. On-Star has existed for a long time and it has always been something that can be done on any vehicle equipped with it.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Most, if not all, newer vehicles are GPS equipped whether or not the vehicle is equipped to allow the occupants to interface with it or even know that if is there.

The EU has mandated that all new vehicles as of a certain year be GPS equipped and that it always be active. It must also display to the driver the current speed limit based on the vehicles current location on any road where that information is available.

How long will it be before people will be getting speeding tickets sent to them by their own vehicle?
About 15-yrs ago, car-rental agencies were automatically adding fines to their fees when their cars detected violations. That didn't last long because they weren't govnt operation with law-enforcement abilities.

Hopefully this time around, enough people will complain that it won't happen again. Similar to automatic traffic cameras here, enough people clogged up courts with disputes that they got rid of cameras on motorways in AZ. It was based upon constitutional right to cross-examine your accuser. For each ticket contested, they had to drag in cameras, their radar-calibrations and video footages along with some human handler responsible for that particular camera.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
Which is why I keep my old 24 year old motorcycle and 19 year old car and my antiquated flip cellphone:rofl1:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
You also have to be using the paid sevice.
According to a report that I saw the only thing that being a subscriber does is allow the user to access the features of the system. Whether the subscription is active or not has no bearing on OnStar's ability to communicate with the car, it is always accessible to them. If the module is still connected and not defective they can do this regardless of whether there is a subscribtion or not.

I have no reason to doubt this based on the experience with my wife's car, which is equipped with OnStar. We have never subscribed to or paid for the service since the day that she bought the car. It is five years old now. The dealer does not do the oil changes, I do. Despite that we still get messages from the dealer that it was purchased from advising us that the life remaining on the engine oil is down to 15%, 10%, 3%, whatever it may be, and suggesting that we call them to schedule an appointment for an oil change. If I check the on-board oil life system it matches the percentage that they quoted. The only way that they could know this is if the system is sending this data to OnStar, who is sending it to GM, who is forwarding it on to the dealer. The fact that we do not pay for or have an active subscription obviously does not prevent communication between our car and OnStar.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
My news vehicle is a 2008, my oldest a 1967 so I think I will be O.K.
Nope. When they go to "15 Minute Cities", they'll be able to control your ability to put gas in them.

What'll really bother me, is when they decide I can't buy any more meat at the grocer because I bought a couple hamburgers earlier in the month. But my credit will be able to purchase fake meat or bugs.

I shouldn't really concern myself with this. I'm sure I'm on a terrorism watch list by now. I'm a white male, conservative, and Christian. Obviously a threat. And if they are tracking purchases of bullets and guns, I'm sure they are tracking purchases of Bibles of which I have a few.

Chris

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Whether the subscription is active or not has no bearing on OnStar's ability to communicate with the car, it is always accessible to them.
My information comes only from the article, and it said that OnStar (and other programs) had to be turned on. It also mentioned that some salesmen turned it on when the car was sold in order to get a commission, and I think there was often a free trial period. Since GM makes money on your data, you are paying for the service one way or another. Did you peruse (and I use the word explicitly) all of the documents you signed when you purchased the car? Did you read their privacy policy? Many of these require the user to opt OUT, the snooping is default. Facebook did this kind of thing for years (and may still do it - I know very little about FB except what I read here and in other news articles.

Bike
2005 ST-1300
Nope. When they go to "15 Minute Cities", they'll be able to control your ability to put gas in them.

What'll really bother me, is when they decide I can't buy any more meat at the grocer because I bought a couple hamburgers earlier in the month. But my credit will be able to purchase fake meat or bugs.

I shouldn't really concern myself with this. I'm sure I'm on a terrorism watch list by now. I'm a white male, conservative, and Christian. Obviously a threat. And if they are tracking purchases of bullets and guns, I'm sure they are tracking purchases of Bibles of which I have a few.

Chris
I buy all my guns third party and all my ammo with cash. The crap show looks like it will get worse as time goes on so I am trying to get all my bucket list rides in before they shut down the economy.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I buy all my guns third party and all my ammo with cash. The crap show looks like it will get worse as time goes on so I am trying to get all my bucket list rides in before they shut down the economy.
I've had that same feeling.

But in the meantime...

Here's how it is shaping up.
  • COG Bun Cooler - Idaho - May 17-19 (hopefully)
  • Longest Day Ride - June 22
  • Curves to Coast (Oregon) - July 13-14
  • Volcano Ride - August 9-11. (Probably not. Conflicts with WeSTOC travel time.)
  • WeSTOC (Billings, MT) - August 12-15
  • Ride the Ribbon - Central Oregon - August 30-September 1
Plan for 10 years in the future, and live like you'll only live for today.

Chris

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
According to a report that I saw the only thing that being a subscriber does is allow the user to access the features of the system. Whether the subscription is active or not has no bearing on OnStar's ability to communicate with the car, it is always accessible to them. If the module is still connected and not defective they can do this regardless of whether there is a subscribtion or not.

I have no reason to doubt this based on the experience with my wife's car, which is equipped with OnStar. We have never subscribed to or paid for the service since the day that she bought the car. It is five years old now. The dealer does not do the oil changes, I do. Despite that we still get messages from the dealer that it was purchased from advising us that the life remaining on the engine oil is down to 15%, 10%, 3%, whatever it may be, and suggesting that we call them to schedule an appointment for an oil change. If I check the on-board oil life system it matches the percentage that they quoted. The only way that they could know this is if the system is sending this data to OnStar, who is sending it to GM, who is forwarding it on to the dealer. The fact that we do not pay for or have an active subscription obviously does not prevent communication between our car and OnStar.
OnStar is owned by GM. Ever wonder why it's not offered on other vehicle brands, unless they have a GM agreement? *The old OnStar FMV units excluded*

Of interesting note in the above wiki...

"
In September 2011, OnStar has changed its terms and conditions to allow sale of vehicle location and speeds to interested third parties including law enforcement agencies, which has been criticized in the comp.risks forum.[25]

Use as surveillance device
OnStar is theoretically susceptible to remote activation by malicious third parties or government agencies. This activation would enable third parties to track the location of the car, along with the ability to listen to the contents of any conversations carried on by the occupants within the car without their consent. However, the FBI has denied the ability to use this as it disables OnStar's safety features, as determined by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.[26] In its document of privacy practices, OnStar states that it is not possible for them to listen to or monitor conversations in a car without the knowledge of the occupant. The hardware is designed so that when an advisor calls into a car, a light flashes, a ring tone is heard, and the radio will mute.[27]

In 2011, OnStar said that it would start retaining all the information collected by the GPS and internal system so that it could be sold to third parties (possibly insurance companies).[28] Although this data is supposed to be "anonymized", exactly what OnStar means by anonymizing GPS data remains unclear, and it may be impossible to make the data actually anonymous.[29] A few weeks later, after outcry from subscribers and privacy advocate groups,[30] OnStar reversed the decision[31] to continue collecting information from unsubscribed units.

A 2019 experiment hacking into the data collected by a 2017 Chevrolet Volt revealed that the car stored logs of calls made from the user's cell phone, as well as location and driving data, which could then be sold to third parties.[32]
"

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Did you peruse (and I use the word explicitly) all of the documents you signed when you purchased the car? Did you read their privacy policy? Many of these require the user to opt OUT, the snooping is default.
No idea, wife bought the car not me. I neither read nor signed anything.
What I do know is that she has no subscription, has never bought one, will never buy one (she told them to bloody well stop calling her trying to get her to buy one), and it doesn't work, at least the SiriusXM doesn't. They obviously still can see and retrieve the oil life data just the same.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It chilling that paranoia is so rampant. Ironically I hear many complaints that government can't do anything right and is pretty much useless to them then there's all this hand wringing that the government is coming to take all that is dear to them.

Just vote for the guys that do nothing but cut taxes and government will be able to do even less.

Top Bottom