Article Zumo 550 crazy screen: $25 repair (w/ photos)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
oddly enough, my 4-5 year old zumo just started acting crazy this weekend.... it would start pushing buttons I didn't intend to be pushed... I was afraid it was about to die.

So, I'll give this a shot.. also, getting static in my left ear so I'll clean all the contacts but the cradle may be going out again..

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
oddly enough, my 4-5 year old zumo just started acting crazy this weekend.... it would start pushing buttons I didn't intend to be pushed... I was afraid it was about to die.

So, I'll give this a shot.. also, getting static in my left ear so I'll clean all the contacts but the cradle may be going out again..
My screen issued are almost cured after I took it a part and cleaned it all around the gasket area and along the bottom. I had an issue once or twice since, but seemed to be OK after a reboot. Spare digitizer now in stock for when I really need it, although I probably should just change it.

Contact cleaner and be sure to work the pins up and down.....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
My screen issued are almost cured after I took it a part and cleaned it all around the gasket area and along the bottom. I had an issue once or twice since, but seemed to be OK after a reboot. Spare digitizer now in stock for when I really need it, although I probably should just change it.

Contact cleaner and be sure to work the pins up and down.....
I will try that first, thanks!

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Should have bought it a couple weeks ago since they went up 11 bucks! Oh well, still cheaper than sending the unit into Garmin.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Thanks for this article! Great work.

I wish I would've known about this $300 ago.... ;-)

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I have been trying to stretch out the digitizer life, having issues and knowing it is going to fail at some point. It crapped out the other day in the heat and damp at OHSTOC, working poorly. The performance has been sluggish and frequent screen lockups with a "button" stuck on. The cleaning I did a while ago bought me quite a while, but............

Today, I replaced it with the new digitizer. The only change I would make to the procedure is to remove the large ribbon and completely free up the screen for working on a solid surface. Other than that, make sure the gasket is clean on both sides. It was easy peasy really, and I did a preventative maintenance cleaning/lube with contact cleaner on the battery and cradle. It took me a bit more than a half hour, but I easily could have done it in 20 minutes or less.

Fired up the Zumo and it was like a new machine. Screen was crisper and reacted to touches much more quickly and accurately. I didn't recalibrate the screen, it works like new. Wow. Should have done it sooner.

Thanks again, Dennis for the article.... just saved me $150. Going to order another digitizer so I can put it away and wonder where the heck it is two or three years from now........

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hey, you are welcome.

Now if everyone will please send 50% of what they saved to my Paypal account...

:crackup
That's just wrong...

Remember 50% of that goes to the site for providing the free advertising.. :nanner1:

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Thanks! Just got mine switched on the 450. Works like new now and much cheaper than sending it back to garmin or getting a new GPS. Think I will pick up some screen protectors though.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Thanks! Just got mine switched on the 450. Works like new now and much cheaper than sending it back to garmin or getting a new GPS. Think I will pick up some screen protectors though.
I've never used a screen protector in 3 years, I just don't poke sharp sticks at it. I have cleaned up scuff marks with Novus #2. Screen protector just adds another layer you have to push through, I had tried one, didn't like it. Just me. YMMV.

Lost Dutchman

Joe M.
STOC #
Landon,
Did you use the same 550 digitizer on your 450?

I am finding that the new one (550) is slightly smaller than the old one (450)

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Landon,
Did you use the same 550 digitizer on your 450?

I am finding that the new one (550) is slightly smaller than the old one (450)
Mine was a touch smaller, but not much. But, I fear they have shrunk yet again.... a buddy and I replaced his digitizer yesterday, and we noticed the glass is now significantly smaller (than mine or yours probably). It barely makes contact all around the raised portion of the rubber seal on the front bezel, and we don't know if it will be waterproof. Of course, we had no choice but to install it, carefully placed, with emphasis on sealing at the bottom.

I have been inquiring with a vendor in Hong Kong, and he says yes, original size is no longer available (from anybody), and all the new ones are smaller. IMHO, undersize to the point of questionable waterproof seal. He informs me that I should buy the whole assembly of LCD screen and digitizer........ I am still in contact with him to see if he will give me actual measurements.

Here is what we found.... OEM digitizer 3.125" x 2.55" (79.4 x 64.8 mm). The latest ones from Hong Kong are 3.05" x 2.49" (77.5 x 63.2 mm). I would not recommend ordering one at this point.

I will update as soon as I get answers from the vendors I am in touch with.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Well, it appears they were once only slightly smaller than OEM, and now they are what I reported earlier. No stock left of the previous version from any supplier. So, I'm just going to make noise with all the ebay suppliers to check, and inform them that sealing may be compromised due to undersized glass. You should too and maybe they'll start making them the right size. I'm sure they never considered this was a critical feature.

THE GOOD NEWS, apparently is that the LCD screen & digitizer ASSEMBLIES have the OEM size glass, and I had one guy physically measure to be sure..... So, I ordered one and it should be in my hands in two weeks..... will let you know.

Next question, what happens when that supply runs out and they make new ones?

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
...a buddy and I replaced his digitizer yesterday, and we noticed the glass is now significantly smaller (than mine or yours probably). It barely makes contact all around the raised portion of the rubber seal on the front bezel, and we don't know if it will be waterproof. Of course, we had no choice but to install it, carefully placed, with emphasis on sealing at the bottom.
Did the Zumo function OK even though the digitizer is slightly smaller?

THE GOOD NEWS, apparently is that the LCD screen & digitizer ASSEMBLIES have the OEM size glass, and I had one guy physically measure to be sure..... So, I ordered one and it should be in my hands in two weeks..... will let you know.
Who did you order this from?

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Thanks to the OP for the article. :cool:

I completed the process yesterday. The price is now $30.68 delivered from Hong Kong. It took 10 calendar days to receive the part from the day it was ordered. It is slightly smaller than the original.

I used it today in my truck. It worked flawlessly. It seems a bit more sensitive now. Is it more sensitive than original? Not sure. The old digitizer has aged over the last few years and was obviously in bad shape.

Is it still water proof with the smaller dimensioned digitizer? Not sure. Tomorrow I plan on placing the zumo on a table horizontally and pour some water on the face. Then dry it off and open it to see if it's still water tight.

Lowe's was no help in finding the right size torx tool. Home Depot had a very nice kit for $5.97 that came with 8 sizes of the small torx that worked perfect.

The zumo functions perfectly even though the new digitizer is slightly smaller.

I purchased mine on ebay from goodsupply0889.

Ray

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Brilliant! Can you fix my Magellan? I miss it.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #

There is no concern about function, just if it's a waterproof seal to the front cover.

There is no concern about function, just if it's a waterproof seal to the front cover. The digitizer only is definitely a bit small. The LCD & digitzer assembly is what I bought this time.

Got mine from goodsupply too..... mine is still in the mail, usually takes up to 2 weeks........ I want to see what the dimensions are.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
My digitizer & LCD assembly arrived today. The digitizer is the OEM size, so no worries. But, if you order one, ask the seller to measure anyway just to be sure. Measurements are in a previous post above.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
My digitizer & LCD assembly arrived today. The digitizer is the OEM size, so no worries. But, if you order one, ask the seller to measure anyway just to be sure. Measurements are in a previous post above.
Ray, where did you order from?

Top Bottom