Article Zumo 550 crazy screen: $25 repair (w/ photos)

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I recently ordered a new digitizer for my 550. It did not require the slicing off with a knife procedure. The digitizer was mounted on the aluminum fitting that fits into the housing for the screen. I simply used a small flat bladed screwdriver to ease out the old digitizer, aluminum fitting and all. (one fitting side fits into the opposite fitting piece and has small bumps that hold the two parts together) A backing lens and shims will want to fall out when you divide the two halves. Take care to not get the backing screen w/shims out of order. They are keyed in the sandwich between LCD and digitizer. Easy to see....in good light. I was messing with this in a bad location and got the shims/lens in a bit off. When I put it all back together, the pressure against the digitizer caused the screen to not respond properly. Easy to fix in good light. My several year old...well over 100,000 miles of hard use Zumo 550 is working at 100% again.
One suggestion...when putting things back together, be sure to clean the rubber gasket carefully. I used a very, very small amount of silicone grease (from my dive kit) to just make the gasket shine. NO more...if you use too much grease...the gasket will leak.
Thanks pretbek and RaYzerman for the links and information. I even ordered a second backup screen for the future. Easy and very cheap fix!!

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Since yours was exactly the correct size, where did you get it from?
Shuey

I recently ordered a new digitizer for my 550. It did not require the slicing off with a knife procedure. The digitizer was mounted on the aluminum fitting that fits into the housing for the screen. I simply used a small flat bladed screwdriver to ease out the old digitizer, aluminum fitting and all. (one fitting side fits into the opposite fitting piece and has small bumps that hold the two parts together) A backing lens and shims will want to fall out when you divide the two halves. Take care to not get the backing screen w/shims out of order. They are keyed in the sandwich between LCD and digitizer. Easy to see....in good light. I was messing with this in a bad location and got the shims/lens in a bit off. When I put it all back together, the pressure against the digitizer caused the screen to not respond properly. Easy to fix in good light. My several year old...well over 100,000 miles of hard use Zumo 550 is working at 100% again.
One suggestion...when putting things back together, be sure to clean the rubber gasket carefully. I used a very, very small amount of silicone grease (from my dive kit) to just make the gasket shine. NO more...if you use too much grease...the gasket will leak.
Thanks pretbek and RaYzerman for the links and information. I even ordered a second backup screen for the future. Easy and very cheap fix!!

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Shuey, I used the link given by RaYzerman. It had expired...but others were available just like that link. The item I purchased was in the $25 range. Just be sure it's the 79 mm by size....I'll find the link. LCD Touch Screen Digitizer GARMIN ZUMO 550 79mmx 64.5mm The image in the eBay link shows the whole framework clearly.

The current purchase link here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-GARMIN-ZUMO-550-79mmx-64-5mm_W0QQitemZ270673021189QQcategoryZ20336QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo=SIC&its=I%2BC&itu=UCI%2BIA%2BUA%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=10&pmod=190442053480&ps=63&clkid=5649413273924592646

It seems to change almost daily...but the same LCD/Screen always seem available. They say 10/25 days to recieve the product....but I got mine in four days from Hong Kong.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The easy way to do it is buy the digitizer and LCD assembly, no muss no fuss, just install it. They seem to come in the right size 79x65. Digitizers only are a touch cheaper, and if they don't specify the size, best to ask. I think some are posting dimensions now because of all the noise we made about the undersized ones, which hopefully have disappeared.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Shuey, I used the link given by RaYzerman. It had expired...but others were available just like that link. The item I purchased was in the $25 range. Just be sure it's the 79 mm by size....I'll find the link. LCD Touch Screen Digitizer GARMIN ZUMO 550 79mmx 64.5mm The image in the eBay link shows the whole framework clearly.

The current purchase link here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-GARMIN-ZUMO-550-79mmx-64-5mm_W0QQitemZ270673021189QQcategoryZ20336QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo=SIC&its=I%2BC&itu=UCI%2BIA%2BUA%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=10&pmod=190442053480&ps=63&clkid=5649413273924592646

It seems to change almost daily...but the same LCD/Screen always seem available. They say 10/25 days to recieve the product....but I got mine in four days from Hong Kong.
Thanks, just ordered 2. $22.99 each plus shipping, total = $62.97.
That's a lot cheaper than one Garmin refurb swap!

Thanks to Ray also for getting us all going on this.
Shuey

Bike
04 ST1300A
I ran into the same situation with my Zumo at the end of September this year.
I did all the research on this board (thanks guys AGAIN) and ended up ordering 2 digitizers from ebay. I verified the dimensions and here's a clip of the correspondence and the ebay user I purchased it from
-------
Dear Customer:
yes, we determine the late-inch is 79.3mm x 64.77mm.
This item costs are very high, we can only make transportation costs.
You can click to buy. Transport costs we can not supply you high discount.
If you are willing to directly pay to my paypal account, 2pcs?40USD we can supply to you.
My paypal account address is: mingxing898@163.com
Please specify details of payment items that the recipient name and parcel number.

Thank you

- mingxing200808
---------
I received the two digitizers in the mail in a few days but digitizers had an aluminum backing glued to them. Here's a picture.

I tried to bend the aluminum to make it fit over the screen and that didn't work. I then tried to cut the aluminum in an attempt to fit it over the LCD. In doing so I cracked one of the digitizers - as you can see:

Finally. I used a heat gun (my wife's blow-dryer) and heated up the digitizer. Once the glue softened up I was easily able to pry he digitizer off.

Once i freed the digitizer, I followed the instruction and re-assembly was a snap. The instructions on this site were spot on.

I'm sharing my experience so if anyone gets digitizers with backing, here's the no-brainer way to get them off. Hopefully it'll save someone destroying a new digitizer!

Once again, thank you all for contributing to this thread and helping us find a low cost solution to a very common problem.

If anyone has any questions on the process, feel free to send me a PM and I'll talk you through it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Just a little research to add, the screen being sold is:

Casio 3.5-inch digital LCD screen models: A68-035BA402D
or
Casio 3.5-inch LCD touch screen models: 7I35CWX540459

Might come in handy..

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
My screen went haywire last night, I left it on the bike in the garage during a extremely cold stretch. Possible cause? Anyway I ordered a screen and digitizer from Goodsupply, crossing my fingers. Thanks so much for the write up and info. Hopefully I can get it all working for Moonshine.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
My screen went haywire last night, I left it on the bike in the garage during a extremely cold stretch. Possible cause? Anyway I ordered a screen and digitizer from Goodsupply, crossing my fingers. Thanks so much for the write up and info. Hopefully I can get it all working for Moonshine.
Bummer Nick...its those midnight tagging runs. I keep wondering when my 550 is gonna brick. Hope this new screen works for you.

Bike
04 ST1300A
If you have any questions or are having trouble with the screen swap do not hesitate to ask.
Cheers,
Steven

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Hi Guys
My Zumo 500 or 550(?) not sure witch, started the "ghost pushing the button" thing a short while ago.
It's actually "bleeding" now...
I have been to the local Garmin supplier here in South Africa and they quoted me a very "interesting" price on a service exchange for a Zumo 660.
I am not sure that I like the 660, but now you guys have saved the day.
I want to get hold of a digitizer and fit it to see first.
Just not to sure about how to get one here in SA...

Thanks

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Ok I received the parts Friday, decided to give her a go this morning. Only one thing that wasnt covered above, or if it was I missed it. The first post shows how to remove the smaller wire strap(?) but not the wider one. It has a brown strap that holds it very much the same as the small one. Otherwise it is a very straight forward swap. I needed a magnifying glass to see and good lighting. It took 30 minutes which included gathering my tools and re reading the first post here.

Thanks so much for everything, I would never have attempted this before. Best thing is I have my Zumo back...

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
As I said ....
Just not sure how to get one here to South Africa...
No mailing to South Africa
Think I need to find him directly...?
How???

Rich R

GLMC-127 TS-671 IBA-37479
Bike
K1600 GTLE
STOC #
I have just completed the install of the screen and digitizer combo.
Thanks!!!! Works like new again.
Rich

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Well I got hold of the guy on e-bay and sent my money and he said that they don't send to South Africa normally so it would take about 40~60days...
20 days later my Garmin screen arrived.
I assembled it and it is fixed and on the bike and I am smiling big time!!!
And at a fraction of the price of a service exchange with the new 660 unit (which I don't like).
I would like to thank pretbek for the thread. Thank you.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Has anyone done this to a 2720? My screen started doing the ghost button push thing a couple rides ago, and its getting really bad now. The rest of the GPS is good, this is it's only issue.

I want to upgrade to a 665, but I don't have the funds yet, and I would still like to fix this one to use as a 2nd unit on long trips.

Jim

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
The digitizer comes with a glue line along the perimeter and a protective backer on it.
The new digitizer I purchased did not have a glue strip or protective coating on it. So, I just reused the old glue. It seemed really sticky and besides, I figured the four little screws would hold it. (I am still rationalizing this and would appreciate everyone just giving me a "pass" on it.)
I am in the middle of this procedure. The new digitizer I bought doesn't have glue on it either. There is not enough glue residue to 'reuse' the old glue. Anybody know if it is necessary to use glue with the new one? If so, what would a recommended adhesive be?

OP
OP
pretbek

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
I am in the middle of this procedure. The new digitizer I bought doesn't have glue on it either. There is not enough glue residue to 'reuse' the old glue. Anybody know if it is necessary to use glue with the new one? If so, what would a recommended adhesive be?
I would use a glue that does not harden or is somewhat easy to take off later. The sticky gooey stuff that is used to keep temporary labels on boxes would be great, but I have no idea what kind of glue that is.
Perhaps you could use a thin double-sided tape, like double-sided scotch tape. "Goop" might work too, but that is really thick and unwieldy to put on in such a narrow area.

You won't need adhesive on the full perimeter; it is just to make sure the digitizer does not move relative to the screen. Since the digitizer and screen are clamped together with those four screws, a thin strip of friction material like rubber might even be enough.

Sorry to sound so wishy-washy, but my idea of the situation does not reach much futher than "something to hold it in place, but not for eternity". :eek::

Top Bottom