Zumo 550 vs Zumo 396

I recently "upgraded" from a Zumo 550 to a Zumo 396. Trying to navigate a route I created on Basecamp has opened up a can of worms. Has anyone here mastered this beast? I'm guessing I need to do things differently in Basecamp to make it all work.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I route with Base camp and a 396. Depending on how long of a route. You will need more than a start point and an end point to make the 396 take you the same as what you create on BC or was created with BC. I use multiple shaping points. I did one Saturday from home to a point 90 miles away. With only start and end. The two routes were way different. Way points / shaping points will help with getting there as seen on BC.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a Zumo 550 on the RT and a 396 on the GL1800. I guess I do not understand the question.

The routes I create have many via points in order to stay on the roads I choose and they always work the way I create them in Mapsource or Basecamp. Of course Mapsource does not recognize the 396 so I have to save or convert routes created in Mapsource to GPX then load them into Basecamp in order to send them to the 396. There are others here more adept at Basecamp but I still use both.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I recently "upgraded" from a Zumo 550 to a Zumo 396. Trying to navigate a route I created on Basecamp has opened up a can of worms.
The problem might be caused by having a different version of the map on your computer than what is on your 396. Garmin releases map updates for the 550 & 396 twice a year (updates are released 4 times a year for newer models). Check the version of the North America map that is on your computer against the version on your two GPS devices, and make sure you have the same map version on all three devices - for example, "Garmin City Navigator North America 2021_20". If you need to update the map on any of the devices, you can accomplish that using Garmin Express. If the map on your computer needs to be updated, you will need to press "Map Details" and then "Map Options" on Garmin Express, then choose "Install to Computer" from the drop-down menu.

Once you have updated the map on your computer, go to the "Programs & Features" control panel of Windows, and un-install any older map versions that may be present on your computer. This will avoid the risk of you inadvertently selecting an older, out of date map when you use BaseCamp or MapSource. It will also free up a lot of space on your computer.

Michael

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
What Michael said plus check that preferences in Basecamp and the GPS device are the same. For example if one has quickest route and the other shortest route the calculations will give different results. The other thing is the avoidances are set the same like gravel roads, toll roads, freeways etc. Even if all is the same the machines seem to give different results and more shaping points are better than fewer in my experience. My GPS allows you select a curvy road option which seems to be total rubbish unless you enjoy riding through subdivisions.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The Trip Planner App on the later Zumos is a different beast from the 550. The routing points behave differently and confusingly, terms that you may have used for the 550 now seem to have a different meaning.

For example, a Waypoint is NOT a point in a route. It is a point that is created and saved so that it can be used in a route at some point in the future - perhaps immediately, perhaps next week or next year.

A route consists of a combination of Via Points and Shaping Points. These do the same thing, but behave slightly differently when navigating. Typically i will use maybe 5 Via Points in a route which coincide approximately with stopping places. Start, finish, morning, lunch and afternoon breaks. I use a load of shaping points in between to pin the route onto particular roads.

If you use. Waypoints in a route, they then become either a Via Point or a Shaping Point. by default they are added to a route as Via Points, but It is up to you to choose - The Zumo will announce as you approach and arrive at Via Points, but the satnav insists that you visit them. Shaping points are a little more forgiving.

But Via Points are regarded by the Zumo as key points or destinations, so it will display the Via Points when starting a route, and you can display information about Via Points at the side of the screen eg ETA, distance, how long before arriving at a Via etc.

One advantage of using predefined Waypoints in your route is that the name is transferred to the Zumo from Basecamp. For points created in any other way, the Zumo tends to ignore the name allocated by Basecamp.

Knowing how these behave is key to plotting a route in Basecamp.

I tore my hair out with this when I switched from having used a 550 and 660. But eventually worked out how to get the best from it.

It is all documented in the document in the link below. It has lots of illustrations, examples, explanations and suggestions as to my preferred method of planning a route. It is probably much more than you will ever want to know, but if you are planning long trips, the Zumo is quite capable of taking you on a completely different route if you don't know at least some of this stuff.

It is written specifically for the 590 and the 595 when used with Basecamp. Much of the first three sections will apply to the 396 as well. Never having had my hands on a 396, You will have to check one or two things out, but from discussions with others it seems to be similar, perhaps tending more towards the 595.

But first, get the maps on Basecamp and the Zumo to be exactly the same versions. And don't update the map in your Zumo without updating the map on your computer at the same time.

If using an old route, make sure it is recalculated for the new map before transferring it to the Zumo.

The pdf is attached to post #1. For your use only. Please observe the copyright notice.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Trip Planner App on the later Zumos is a different beast from the 550. The routing points behave differently and confusingly, terms that you may have used for the 550 now seem to have a different meaning.

For example, a Waypoint is NOT a point in a route. It is a point that is created and saved so that it can be used in a route at some point in the future - perhaps immediately, perhaps next week or next year.

A route consists of a combination of Via Points and Shaping Points. These do the same thing, but behave slightly differently when navigating. Typically i will use maybe 5 Via Points in a route which coincide approximately with stopping places. Start, finish, morning, lunch and afternoon breaks. I use a load of shaping points in between to pin the route onto particular roads.

If you use. Waypoints in a route, they then become either a Via Point or a Shaping Point. by default they are added to a route as Via Points, but It is up to you to choose - The Zumo will announce as you approach and arrive at Via Points, but the satnav insists that you visit them. Shaping points are a little more forgiving.

But Via Points are regarded by the Zumo as key points or destinations, so it will display the Via Points when starting a route, and you can display information about Via Points at the side of the screen eg ETA, distance, how long before arriving at a Via etc.

One advantage of using predefined Waypoints in your route is that the name is transferred to the Zumo from Basecamp. For points created in any other way, the Zumo tends to ignore the name allocated by Basecamp.

Knowing how these behave is key to plotting a route in Basecamp.

I tore my hair out with this when I switched from having used a 550 and 660. But eventually worked out how to get the best from it.

It is all documented in the document in the link below. It has lots of illustrations, examples, explanations and suggestions as to my preferred methid of planning a route. It is probably much more than you will ever want to know, but if you are planning long trips, the Zumo is quite capable of taking you on a completely different route if you don't know at least some of this stuff.

It is written specifically for the 590 and the 595 when used with Basecamp. Much of the first three sections will apply to the 396 as well. Never having had my hands on a 396, You will have to check one or two things out, but from discussions with others it seems to be similar, perhaps tending more towards the 595.

But first, get the maps on Basecamp and the Zumo to be exactly the same versions. And dint update the map in your Zumo without updating the map on your computer at the same time.

If using an old route, make sure it is recalculated for the new map before transferring it to the Zumo.

The pdf is attached to post #1. For your use only. Please observe the copyright notice.

Hope this helps.
This document is going to be incredibly helpful. Thank you very much for the link and the tips. Now I have to digest it all. I have made many of the mistakes that you describe in your scenarios, and I think as a result, your explanations of what happens and why are all starting to make sense to me. Thanks for taking the time to put this all together.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
You are welcome.

I have made many of the mistakes that you describe in your scenarios.
Me too. Thats how I know about them ! With no help, it was a very steep learning curve. As soon as I realised that I had to discard everything I knew about the 550 and the 660, it became much easier.

It would be extremely useful to me and to other 396 owners if you were to feed back any information if you spot anything where your 396 does not match either the 595 or 590 information, please.

Im working on a similar document for the XT. Much of it also applies to that, but that has its own behaviours. Some of the statements I make about when and how the satnav recalculates a route are different for the XT - so there may be some thing that don't ring true for your 396. Im not sure when the 396 first came out.

example. I say that the 590 only ever recalculates to the next route point. This is true. But for the XT, it is not. There are times when it recalculates all of the sections between route points.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
In my experience, my 396 works pretty much like the 590 series, only the screen size and resolution are different. Less problems if you have sufficient via/shaping points. I wish Garmin would consult us when designing software...... I loved the simplicity of the 550 and MapSource. But, they're just trying to keep up with the cool kids I guess.... gotta have that latest tech.
Thanks for all your work, John, I find your comments very useful.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Footnote to my post #7

There are a couple of issues that I have come across recently that I mention in passing in the pdf document, but which you may miss when dipping into an individual section.

1 Basecamp allows you to change the names that are given to any routing point. Unfortunately, when the Zumo receives the information it ignores many of the given names and uses the names that it knows from the road or the coordinates. The only reliable way I have discovered of forcing the Zumo to use the names that you have given a point in Basecamp is to create Waypoints first, name them and add those to the route (or rename them as an edit afterwards). Waypoints can be changed into shaping points or via points In Basecamp. The Zumo will always (so far) use the name that you have given to a Waypoint.

2. The Zumo 595 and the Zumo XT seem to have a 'bug' in the route editing software. If you use the Zumo to convert a Via Point to a Shaping Point in a saved route, the Zumo has been observed to relocate the point and rename it. It does this even with your named Waypoints. It also alters the saved route, not just the one currently active. The fault has been reported to Garmin, and they have managed to reproduce it - and I assume that they will fix it at some point.
The Zumo 590 does not do this. I guess the 396 may well have the same issue as the 595.

3. When Skip is used on the 590, it recalculates just the section of route from where you are up to the next route point. If you do this on the 595 or the XT, it recalculates the entire route, always visiting each of the shaping points and via points, but may choose a different route between them. I can only guess that the 396 may behave like the 595.

Top Bottom