Using I-Pass on a motorcycle

Bike
2000 BMW K1200
Did a little online research before I left for OH-STOC on where to mount the I-Pass transponder on a motorcycle so that I could use it on my way back home on the Tri-State Tollway around Chicago. Found everything from $50 handlebar mounts to home made mounts to hiding them under fairings so you don't have to have the thing hanging on the windshield. Went with the simple approach, put it in the front map pocket on my mesh jacket. Got home, went online to my I-Pass account, it worked at all 4 toll stations. There was no rain, otherwise I was going to put the transponder inside a ziplock bag in my pocket. Just an FYI.

Last edited:
There's some useful information on how to mount the Mark IV transponder (which is what I-Pass and others use) here: CLICKY. (Hard to believe I wrote that a decade ago!)

--Mark

I've been using one for a little over a year now, I will add paying a toll to go to work isn't cool.

I have tried a lot of positions with no reliability. Left front cubby, right jacket pocket, upper left jacket pocket, on the windshield (not stuck to it), even holding it up.

At this point i dont give a crap. If it reads it reads, i did my part, I payed for it and I have it on the vehicle. They need to make one for a motorcycle.

When in use, I've put mine on the top of the left fairing pocket. Had to use some super glue to hold the mounting strips in place on the lid but with that done I have had no issues. Rode all the way from Chicago to western MD using the Tri-State Tollway, Indiana Toll Road, Ohio Turnpike, and parts of the PA Turnpike system without a hitch.

I have three transponders: an older model that's a largish rectangle, and two newer models that are narrower, thicker, and contoured on the top. The one for the bike is one of the newer ones, and when it arrived it had a hand-inscribed "Motorcycle" on it. According to other threads there's no difference in toll rates between cars, bikes, and pickup trucks (the three vehicles among which I might rotate transponders) so I'm not sure why the issuing authority felt a need to specifically target one of the units as being for the bike but since they did that's the one I use there.

Most of the time (i.e. when I'm not riding on a toll road) it is out of sight inside the locked pocket.

Last edited:
For the Illinois Tollways, I keep my I-Pass transponder in a drawer at home! If you have an account with the Toll Authority, they will take a pix and automatically reduce the balance in your account.

For the Illinois Tollways, I keep my I-Pass transponder in a drawer at home! If you have an account with the Toll Authority, they will take a pix and automatically reduce the balance in your account.

I should add that you need to register your license plate number(s) on their website.

Ray

That's how it is here too (VA). It just takes longer for the transactions to go through.

Mine is wrapped in an old sock and always in the Givi top case. If it fails to work at a toll plaza, doesn't matter. My license plate number on the ST is registered with the tollway authority. Incidentally, I don't know about other localities, but the EZ tags sold here by the Harris County (TX) Toll Road Authority are assigned to a specific vehicle and can't be moved between vehicles. The tags for cars/trucks are similar to a decal that is stuck on the inside of the windshield, except that it has a tiny transponder in the center of it.

I keep my iPass inside my top box held to the top cover. I use it almost every day, I take the toll way to work. Been that way for 5-6 years, never have to worry about it.

Our local band of thieves (I mean the toll road company) waives the need for a transponder for a motorcycle. You do pay the transponder annual fee of course and they save $$ on not sending you one........, but your plate is linked to your account so you don't get charged the video toll fee non-account holders have to pay.

You may want to rethink that practice. I passed through two tolls yesterday and noticed that I didn't get the "Blue Light of Approval". When I went to check if my I-Pass registered, I discovered it hadn't (it was in the locked glove box). Concerned about the repercussions, I found this. Three years after your post, the Illinois Tollway Authority wants more money The last line is the concerning one:

[FONT=&amp]"Occasionally tolls do not post to your account at the time of the transaction. This is usually due to a missing, improperly mounted or inactive transponder with a dead battery. These unsuccessful transactions are digitally recorded and we then try to match those digital recordings to the license plate on your I-PASS account. If a match between the image and the license plate on your I-PASS account is successful, the toll is then posted to your account. This match is attempted as a courtesy to help I-PASS customers avoid violations.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]These digitally recorded tolls are called video tolls. If your transponder is properly mounted and video tolls are occuring on your account, please test the transponder battery to be sure it is functioning properly. You will see video toll appear next to the transaction when you review your account records. Tolls that are successfully deducted at the time of transaction are labeled "toll."[/FONT]
Excessive Vtolls[FONT=&amp]: Starting in 2018, if any vehicle registered to your account records more than five (5) Vtolls in one month, you may be charged the cash rate for the toll. Still have a question regarding Vtolls?"[/FONT]

Last edited:
I ride with an SW-Motech tank bag and usually with their (big clumsy) map pocket attachment thingy that has a clear top. When I go on the Hwy 406 electronic toll road in Toronto, I just stick the transponder in the tank bag map pocket and it seems to work fine.

I also installed the super-duper HD velcro strips on my dash top panel and have used it there. That also worked fine, but I worried that it might fall off and go down into the bowels of the bike or onto the road.

Pete

Thanks, Illinois! Way to figure out ways to confiscate more of our money....
I don't think "confiscate" is the right word or are you being politically correct?Its amazing what ideas a steal first policy will come up with.

Not to steal this thread, but for those of us oldies going to lighter bikes, please be aware that the automatic lanes on the Indiana and Ohio turnpikes do not constantly scan for a transponder. Wires embedded in the road trigger the device to scan for a transponder and lighter bikes, like my previous Wee, may not trigger it. Play it safe and go through a gate that has an attendant. Your transponder will still work and they can activate the scanner so you don’t sit there for a looooong time in the automatic lane. DAMHIK.

Greg

Not to steal this thread, but for those of us oldies going to lighter bikes, please be aware that the automatic lanes on the Indiana and Ohio turnpikes do not constantly scan for a transponder. Wires embedded in the road trigger the device to scan for a transponder and lighter bikes, like my previous Wee, may not trigger it. Play it safe and go through a gate that has an attendant. Your transponder will still work and they can activate the scanner so you don't sit there for a looooong time in the automatic lane. DAMHIK.

Greg

That explains my experience last year. Even the ST may miss the sweet spot. I do not recall exactly how I finally cleared the gate. May have simply skirted it.

Back
Top Bottom