Using I-Pass on a motorcycle

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Not to steal this thread, but for those of us oldies going to lighter bikes, please be aware that the automatic lanes on the Indiana and Ohio turnpikes do not constantly scan for a transponder. Wires embedded in the road trigger the device to scan for a transponder and lighter bikes, like my previous Wee, may not trigger it. Play it safe and go through a gate that has an attendant. Your transponder will still work and they can activate the scanner so you don’t sit there for a looooong time in the automatic lane. DAMHIK.

Greg

You would think that lines of other vehicles and their irate drivers would form behind the sitting motorcycles - and perhaps the toll authorities would be moved to rectify the lack of scanning.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
STraymond said:
Thanks, Illinois! Way to figure out ways to confiscate more of our money....
What IL should do is just raise the toll by $2. That way everybody who puts the transponder where it should be and doesn't incur >5 Vtolls can subsidize the cost of looking up accounts of those who can't be bothered.

Or just go back to collecting cash from every vehicle. Or cancel the account of laggards.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
You would think that lines of other vehicles and their irate drivers would form behind the sitting motorcycles - and perhaps the toll authorities would be moved to rectify the lack of scanning.
I don’t think they care. The attendant who finally came out to assist me explained the process. When I asked him what I could do, he said buy a heavier bike or eat a lot. Funny man.

Greg

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Back to the original thread now that my dander is up. The IL Tollway Commission is rolling in dough and a bunch of crooks. The cost of linking a plate to an account and charging the account is minimal to what they charge. Before I-294 was built, there was no toll on I-80. These folks said, well I-294 doesn’t end at I-80, it joins it for about 5 miles, even though there was no change except buying new signs that have both road numbers on them. So they charge every vehicle traveling on I-80 a toll because they say it is also I-294 which magically ends at the Indiana border. Crooks.

Greg

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Before I-294 was built, there was no toll on I-80. These folks said, well I-294 doesn't end at I-80, it joins it for about 5 miles, even though there was no change except buying new signs that have both road numbers on them. So they charge every vehicle traveling on I-80 a toll because they say it is also I-294 which magically ends at the Indiana border. Crooks. Greg
I have always wondered how a state (IL) can slap a toll on a federal highway there (I-80). Any legal minds want to weigh in on that ?
How many folks driving along I-80, from out of state, get tickets in the mail and have no clue what happened to them ?
The original promise, when the Tollways were built 30+ years ago, was to eliminate the tolls "when the roads were paid for". Yea, right.
Crooks, indeed....

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Back to the original thread now that my dander is up. The IL Tollway Commission is rolling in dough and a bunch of crooks. The cost of linking a plate to an account and charging the account is minimal to what they charge. Before I-294 was built, there was no toll on I-80. These folks said, well I-294 doesn’t end at I-80, it joins it for about 5 miles, even though there was no change except buying new signs that have both road numbers on them. So they charge every vehicle traveling on I-80 a toll because they say it is also I-294 which magically ends at the Indiana border. Crooks.

Greg
The portion of the Borman Expressway that was completed from Gary westward and the Kingery Expressway were originally designated as I-80, I-90, and I-294 from shortly after the Interstate Highway program was enacted until about 1965, when the connection between the Borman and the Indiana Toll Road was completed, and I-90 was swapped with I-94 west of that junction (and east of where those routes share the same road in Chicago), cutting back I-294 to its current south terminus (eliminating the Indiana part of I-294).

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Apart from whether or not the tolls should be collected, why not just convert to "toll by plate" as is done on some tollways in Florida and Ontario? No transponder required.

Top Bottom