Windscreen motor gear replacement parts and introduction.

Hello,
I'm new here and to the ST 1300, I've been on bikes pretty much my whole life riding and wrenching. I've read a few posts re: the issues of the windscreen mechanism and now that mine is all apart and awaiting repair I'm reaching out for parts.

Also being I'm the FNG I can't PM anyone so if SupraSabre could send me a PM re if the he is still making gears that would be great.

2MnB

SupraSabre could send me a PM re if the he is still making gears that would be great.
SupraSabre does not make the gears. He acquires them from damaged windshield mechanisms he buys- mostly off of Ebay.

The only source for new replacement gears that I am aware of can be found in this ST-1300 windshield GEAR thread but I don't know if he is still making them either.
You will have to contact him to find out.

Let us know what he responds.

Yep, I let him know the bad news already...

I wished I could say that there is money in rebuilding those things, but by the time you buy two or three of them, pull them apart and rebuild them, you already have $200 or more into them. Then you sell it for what, $250? and have to buy more to make another one? I think you get my drift! Even selling parts, there just isn't any money in them...

@Obo thanks for the tip!

Everyone else thanks for the info and I sent @PANik an email as well.

I picked up some silicon bronze .045” tig rod and I’m gonna practice a bit then try to fill some gaps in the helical gear area because at this point I’ve got nothing to lose.

Attachments

• A1BFA472-24F8-49A7-9385-E9D14152EC3A.jpeg
    A1BFA472-24F8-49A7-9385-E9D14152EC3A.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 103
I sent PANik an email a while back and got no response. Good luck and report back if you hear anything.

@Obo thanks for the tip!

Everyone else thanks for the info and I sent @PANik an email as well.

I picked up some silicon bronze .045” tig rod and I’m gonna practice a bit then try to fill some gaps in the helical gear area because at this point I’ve got nothing to lose.

Yep, looks like your gear took it in the shorts! :eek:

One trick I have heard of, but I have not tried or seen it myself, is to get a washer to fit under the gear (just where, I don't know...), so the location where the cable contacts the gear has changed, allows the cable to have a new area to move against. Couldn't hurt to try....

Or you could try some jb weld and a small die grinder, although having it welded might be a better option..

Does anyone know for sure what material was used in the OEM gear? I've heard pot metal (castable zinc/aluminum alloy), and sintered steel. Regardless, it is fairly soft from the frequent failures of the gear and not the cables. My guess is that Tig'ing it might melt it and grinding away the excess weld metal in the grooves is worthy of a skilled dentist.

As the kidz would say– I think it's shady to make the gear die before the cables with the latter being easier to replace. And not having the gear replaceable separately (at least at once upon a time) is just short of a criminal act.

It'll take some very skilled welding and some 'post processing' to make that gear viable without destroying the cables. Best of luck to you @2mnb.

Is the gear press-fit to the shaft or is that all one machined piece? it would be great if it could be flipped 180º and make use of the unused bit.

Or maybe a replacement base and shaft machined and the gear drilled out and interference fit or welded to the new base/shaft unit. Or maybe red-Loctite or similar so that the gear doesn't explode trying for an IF.

Unubtainium :rofl1:
I may be able to source a unit for you, I'll check, and get back at you in a couple days.

Is the gear press-fit to the shaft or is that all one machined piece? it would be great if it could be flipped 180º and make use of the unused bit.
The gear is pictured in post #6. The whole unit is one piece and is probably not solid steel, or it would chew up the cables as it was wearing. Cutting it off and doing what you suggested would probably cost about half or more of the price of a new complete windshield mechanism - assuming the old gear can be welded. IIRC, the base has some machining that was not done on a lathe alone (meaning CNC or milling or some other process) which means multiple machine setups for a one off project.

In my experience a skilled welder (not me) can weld just about anything metal with a quality TIG machine.

This is one of these scenarios where if you had access to the equipment and the skilled people (or were so skilled yourself) this could probably be welded and machined back to the dimensions of the base metal quite readily. Unfortunately, if you have to pay for any part of that process it becomes cost prohibitive.

The gear is pictured in post #6.
You mean the pic 5 posts above mine on the same page? Yes I saw it. That's why I asked. It looked like an assembly of two pieces.

Or maybe a replacement base and shaft machined and the gear drilled out and interference fit or welded to the new base/shaft unit. Or maybe red-Loctite or similar so that the gear doesn't explode trying for an IF.
I think something like this might be a better path than trying to weld and shape the teeth. Drill the shaft out from top to bottom. Cut the gear off at the base. Machine a new shaft flip the gear 180º and interference fit it to the gear and base. Or the red Loctite if it's as strong as everybody says it is.

You'd have to have access to a drill press or mill and maybe a bandsaw (but a hacksaw would probably be good enough.

This is one of these scenarios where if you had access to the equipment and the skilled people (or were so skilled yourself)...
I think less skill would be required to flip the gear than to weld and dress it. Certainly walking in to a good shop cold and saying 'Can you do this...' would be expensive. A lot of people know people and might work a friends and family discount. If it were me I'd certainly investigate that cost before buying a whole new mechanism or trying the ebay crapshoot to salvage something usable. A competent machinist could carry out my idea but it would take an TIG artist and post production to equal the task.

I don't know that we'll ever see replacement gears that hold up like the factory gear (though it could use some work too).

A competent machinist could carry out my idea but it would take an TIG artist and post production to equal the task.
Another case of anything can be repaired if a person is willing to spend enough money to accomplish it.

I am confident beyond the shadow of a doubt, based on personal experience with both welding and machining processes for many years, that that gear can be welded and machined back to the original dimensions. It is not a highly technical repair in my opinion. It is pretty routine welding and machining that is not beyond all but the most talented. Any TIG welder who is competent enough to actually possess a welding license should be able to build this metal up and any machinist worthy of the title who has access to the proper machinery can easily machine the repaired area to the dimensions of the surrounding base metal.

Unfortunately, I also know that if it was not being done as some variant of a G-job or someone doing it on their own time the cost would be beyond what most people would accept to pay.

Back
Top Bottom