H4 LED - 2018 Evitek, F2 replaces G6

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Larry, I thought they were all the same. If you are in a hurry, get one of amazon. If not Ali Express. I've ordered 5 pairs and they have all been in the same yellow box. I had one in my ST, have one in my Versys, have 2 in my motor home, ordered 1 for the Wing but it didn't fit and had to return it.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
There's a definite brighter hot spot in the Prius' lights that isn't there on the Aukee lights.
The Aukee leds have two circuit boards mounted ON an aluminum heat sink.
The F2 leds have one circuit board mounted IN an aluminum heat sink.

This small detail gets the back to back leds closer to the focus point, which makes a brighter hot spot.

There are other mini LED bulbs that now use this same construction and that is what you need to look for if the F2 does not fit your ride.

Ledcut1.jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So if you had to choose between staying with the G6's or getting a set of F2's what would you pick?
If starting from scratch I'd go with the F2s. Based on what spiderman said about the G6s vs the F2s, I'll stay with the G6s until replacement time. He said the F2s had a bit of an edge (maybe earlier in this thread) over the G6s but there was no need to upgrade to the F2s.

I know this thread is long but I do believe it's somewhere here where he gives a bit more detail than I have.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
may be what you were looking for is here.

Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
Is there a "fan less" design out there? I installed the Safego F2 LEDs from Amazon in Sept of 18. At the end of 2019 one of the fans is now screaming when I hit 35 mph. I'd love to replace just the fan, but I doubt that will work out. I'm out of warranty so I'm hosed from the vendor. For now I just lower the shield a little and listen to the wind instead of the rrrrrrrrroowwwwrrrroooowwww of the fan. Anyone else have an issue with cheapo fans?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Anyone else have an issue with cheapo fans?
Yes,,, my fans complain a bit when I first cold start the bike up. But by the time I ride away with 2 bars showing,,, the sound is either gone,, or I just can't hear it. By the time I shut it off,,, even if it is must within 5 minutes or less,,, the fans are running normally. My area is a sandy/dusty beach community,, so I am not surprised. However,,, I did purchase a spare set of F2's,,, to have on hand as backups,,, in case I burn out a fan or a bulb before a trip. The delivery on these F2's is pretty long,, and I did not want to have to go back to H4's. But they are hanging in,,, after nearly 2 full seasons. The price I payed for both sets beats the price of the a set of Bosch H4's that I could buy just up the street,,, and they have longer life and far superior light. I have not burned either the bulbs or fans out yet. Someone posted a fan cleaning and lube procedure not long ago. But I am not concerned enough about my fan noise to be bothered with that yet,,, cheers,, CAt'

Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
I reached under the fairing and pulled the offender out. Two little screws hold what is barely a fan in place. One leg of the fan frame acts to hold the cable from popping free of the bulb. My intention was to remove the fan entirely. What I ended up doing was to unsolder and heat shrink the wires from the fan and put the fan back in place.
Spiderman302 replied to me expressing concern about a 36 watt fan less design being less than ideal for heat. With that said, I plan on attempting to clean the bearing and see where it goes. The attached photo of the fan is courtesy of Spiderman302. F2fan1.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
Looking at Amazon I found these guys... made by "beamtech". They are a little lower in lumen output than the F2 but.... in reality, does the F2 emit 6000 lumens? I'm reminded of the stereo booster amplifiers of the 80's that advertised 1000watts of power with a 4 amp fuse... It was 1000 watts output for .0003 seconds (until the fuse popped! I may just go the fan less route.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I'm reminded of the stereo booster amplifiers of the 80's that advertised 1000watts of power with a 4 amp fuse... It was 1000 watts output for .0003 seconds (until the fuse popped!
If you ever find yourself in VA, look me up, and I'll show you my home theater.

2,200 watts RMS, and not on a 4a fuse; more like three 15a circuits.

Teaser: http://www.fineelectricco.com/Stack1lg.jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm reminded of the stereo booster amplifiers of the 80's that advertised 1000watts of power with a 4 amp fuse...
I remember car stereo amps with outputs rated at Gigawatts yet could seemingly blast all day on a measly fuse. The stated rate was always something like 1.21GW IMP (Imaginary Music Power) or 6Wx2 RMS.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I remember car stereo amps with outputs rated at Gigawatts yet could seemingly blast all day on a measly fuse. The stated rate was always something like 1.21GW IMP (Imaginary Music Power) or 6Wx2 RMS.
Gigawatts is a term of how many watts you normally pump out when you play a gig. ;)

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
RMS continuous is the real gig you're looking for....... LOL.
I have no doubt the F2's a kicking out 6000 lumens... 5000 would be plenty..... I think a fan is preferable over a fanless heat sink, just my opinion... airflow needed. F2 actually has both and I have never actually heard the fans..... you guys must have good hearing, or maybe I have lost mine.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Larry:

Nice Christmas tree that you have hiding in a dark corner. 2.2 KW rms in a small room is a lot.
I would guess that you have a good expander to liven up compressed caned music.
I still have a rack with 7.5 KW rms that I use to use to drive a stack of speakers on an outdoor stage set at the end of a football field for my local Church fiesta.
I loved the live sound from clean linear DC amplifiers.

Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
Well I pulled the offender back out this afternoon. I think more of it came apart than was supposed to cause the picture is a little different than Spiderman302's pic. I shot the base with D5 Deoxit and the armature too. Putting back together had me thinking, this aint gonna work. It did go back and I powered it up on the bench with 8 volts. The thing spun up without a complaint! I shot a video of the right side fan at the turn of the key. The video is on Youtube here. Back to a happy clam but I'm buying a backup set tonight! Safego offered me a 30% discount on a replacement set due to me being out of warranty. Amazon has the set for $50 so a 30% discount works for me.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Nice Christmas tree that you have hiding in a dark corner. 2.2 KW rms in a small room is a lot.
Actually, the room is 16'w x 25'd, so it's more medium size. Here's the stack with the lights on:

There have been a couple of changes; the main one being that my pre/pro is now a Fosgate FAP-T1+

I would guess that you have a good expander to liven up compressed caned music.
No, but then, I don't really have that much that's compressed, and the system is not lacking in dynamic range.

Years ago, I had a stand-alone compander. I have a couple of cassette decks with dbx, my fave is the Teac V-909RX

I loved the live sound from clean linear DC amplifiers.
My amps are a Sunfire Stereo and a Sunfire Cinema Grand. I don't know if you're familiar with them, but they're pretty clean.

Why do I have the feeling we're derailing this thread? :well1:

Reactions: Obo

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Gear is nice but ultimately is speakers that make or break a system. Care to tell?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Gear is nice but ultimately is speakers that make or break a system. Care to tell?
I was wondering when you'd ask. :biggrin: Old-school original Definitive Technology:
L & R: BP2000
Ctr: CLR2000
Sides: BPX
Rears: BP20

Wait until you ask about the image. :cool:

Top Bottom