Smaller air pump?

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I have a slime that i bought when i was touring and my old pump went. Its a bit too big.
So, i am asking for suggestions on a pump that shows the pressure and will plug into my cig lighter socket.
I really dont want one that has its own battery. That was my first one (oasser) and the battery lasted little more than a year.
Thanks in advance!

I got this the other day.
Portable Air Compressor Tire Inflator: 12V DC Auto Tire Pump Car Tire Inflator with Digital Pressure Gauge, Fast Inflation, Auto Tire Pump for Car Tires,Motorcycles https://a.co/d/49dYWeV

It is only powered via a cigarette lighter outlet. It measured the pressure of the tires and inflated a couple of psi without issue. It is cheap and made in China so I don't know how long it will last.

I got this the other day.
Portable Air Compressor Tire Inflator: 12V DC Auto Tire Pump Car Tire Inflator with Digital Pressure Gauge, Fast Inflation, Auto Tire Pump for Car Tires,Motorcycles https://a.co/d/49dYWeV

It is only powered via a cigarette lighter outlet. It measured the pressure of the tires and inflated a couple of psi without issue. It is cheap and made in China so I don't know how long it will last.
Thanks! Just looked it up on amazon Over 500 sold and decent ratings.
I'm set up already w the cig lighter, so this might b a fit!

I have one of these -

Nice! I showed this to my CFO and she managed to get it for nada. Should have it Sunday. Happy fathers day!

If you have a good tire gauge and don’t have to have a compressor with an integral gauge get a small Slime and remove the plastic case. It gets 66% smaller and fits in a very small, perhaps unused, space. One of mine is over 10 years old and has been used many times on the road.Air Compressor1.jpg

Air Compressor2.jpg

Last edited:

Always take some caution with reviews. Some are of the degree of flash the product has when the box is first opened. I always read a few when I'm agonizing over this one or that one.

After you get your new pump, I strongly suggest you test it out. Remove the valve core from your rear tire and allow all the air to escape. Replace it, hook up your new compressor, start your bike (don't want to run the battery down and not be able to start it later) and reinflate the tire. You will learn if there are any problems with this device, and if yours arrived defective.

Here’s a few more options

I also carry a slime model around in case but find it too bulky. It was also suggested to me to “strip it down” which I will tackle at some point. Results too follow…

Lots of good options and advice offered above. My old Campbell Hausfeld unit stripped from its case is still going strong. I prefer a separate pressure gage.

I’ll add - make sure your connection to battery power is fused (10amp) and the wiring is up to the high amp draw. Engine running.

John

Lots of good options and advice offered above. My old Campbell Hausfeld unit stripped from its case is still going strong. I prefer a separate pressure gage.

I’ll add - make sure your connection to battery power is fused (10amp) and the wiring is up to the high amp draw. Engine running.

John
Thanks! I do keep the engine running and I do carry a separate gauge.

Here’s the Slime unit I use. Large enough 7”x 2” and bulky. 155C763F-80DD-4F4E-AEDB-96AD1F9BE16D.jpeg

I stripped it down (thanks for that suggestion @RaYzerman) and reduced it to this: a little over 5.5” x 1.5” but way more packable into a tight spot like under the pillion seat

87B4C261-6A25-4359-9DB8-CCE430E1FB0D.jpeg

So you lose some size and weight and obvious protection for the components but now have the potential to stuff it into a nook that wasn’t available before. The dial gauge is optional as I carry a manual one.

Thoughts?

Here’s the Slime unit I use. Large enough 7”x 2” and bulky. 155C763F-80DD-4F4E-AEDB-96AD1F9BE16D.jpeg

I stripped it down (thanks for that suggestion @RaYzerman) and reduced it to this: a little over 5.5” x 1.5” but way more packable into a tight spot like under the pillion seat

87B4C261-6A25-4359-9DB8-CCE430E1FB0D.jpeg

So you lose some size and weight and obvious protection for the components but now have the potential to stuff it into a nook that wasn’t available before. The dial gauge is optional as I carry a manual one.

Thoughts?
That is the exact one I have, unreduced, which is why I'm looking for something smaller. The size makes it a pain, even tho it is a good pump. I was a bit frustrated last tour with my bulk, and am looking at ways to reduce it.

Back
Top Bottom