Old Enough To Remember?

144 pages and I'm sure this has been said BUT...remember when your parents told you to go out and play, no further instructions, and your only real rule was that you had to come in when the street lights turned on, and you were eight years old?

And another thing...we had AWESOME childhoods when our only things were a bike, baseball glove, tennis racket, hockey stick, basketball, whiffle ball, and skateboard. There didn't seem to be any issue what gender you were, you heard of autism, kind of, but didn't know anyone like that, bicycle helmets didn't exist, you loved riding in the back of the station wagon, and when it was dinnertime your mom would ring a cowbell out of the kitchen door. God, those were the days.
 
I have tried to forget when the thing my dad and friends used to think was funny was to go out on a friday night or any time on the weekend and the manly thing to do was get in a bar fight. Or even better find a couple of "long hairs" beat them up and cut their hair, it always seemed to take a couple of those tough guys.
I have tried to forget Viet Nam when veterans were insulted horribly and I was looking forward to being drafted like my older brother to be sent to a war that was based on a lie as well as nobody wanting to just call it quits. (Which I believe the cancer that killed him came from the stuff they were spraying the jungle with).
I have tried to forget the rioting and the beatings that happened during protests. I have forgotten the friends I knew that were "disciplined" with black eyes a bruises and everyone kept quiet. (to you Jay sorry ). I knew too many girls that were abused and it got blown off as just guys being guys.
It doesn't take much to pull out the stuff that was happening then too. Did we forget Mcarthy? Did we forget about the common lynching? I think the biggest problem is we want to return to a time that wasn't there if you look closely, but because we grew up there it was just the way things were.
It may not have been fun and roses but as a child it was normal to us, I just wish we could learn the from the bad and make it better, as well as learn to hang on to the best.
The lines today are just as blurry as then, we just look at them from a different age.

Enough of my soapbox, please let my observations die a peaceful death here and don't respond to this, I just had to throw it in
 
Who had one of these?
1760278571898.jpeg
My brother had one, and I got it as a hand-me-down. The original fat tire bike. I think it weighed about half a ton
 
Back
Top Bottom