Rear tire leak

LOL :rofl1: I had a new rear tire picked up a HUGE nail that was smacking my fender. tire shop was two blocks away so I made it there. the manager said He would not touch a motorcycle tire repair with a ten-foot pole! then he dropped glue can, gummy worms plugging tools and pressure gauges on floor beside my rear tire and walked away! I fixed the tire and rode it about 2000 miles before replacing. I still smile when I think about that "Grumpy Service Manager" He wouldn't let me pay him for his supplies either, said he didn't want anything to do with repairing motorcycle tires!
I can understand that. He has no control over what the repair will do and if it fails after he has 'fixed' it, my guess is that he could be liable.

There's also a speed limit on roadside repaired tyres. This is partly because the cetrifugal(?) forces act on the plug as well as on the tyre and in theory it could work its way out. The tyre will flatten much more quickly than the original puncture if that happens. I guess that behaviour is less likely with mushroom style plugs. I don't know.

Slime. I used to use it a lot, but it is water based and it eats away at the wheel rim from the inside. So much so that my rims, where the tyre seats, have that rough surface corrosion on them and the new tyre does not seat properly and needs to be blown up twice a day - which is annoying. Each time I had a new tyre fitted I had it cleaned up and rim sealant applied - and that worked quite well.
 
I can understand that. He has no control over what the repair will do and if it fails after he has 'fixed' it, my guess is that he could be liable.
My guess is he could still be liable. He made the material and access available and apparently allowed the repair to be made on his premises. A lot like leaving a gun on a table or otherwise unsecured where someone who shouldn't have access gets a hold of it and injures or kills someone. Not that that's ever actually happened.

His thinking may have been that as long as diferg wasn't a paying customer he was in the clear. And by setting the gear down and walking away differ (or his survivors) would believe there was no wrongful death recourse. I can understand him thinking that. It would depend on state laws of course.

The reality is that if some catastrophic failure had occurred in an above situation severely injuring or killing someone– who'd know? If someone survived it would most likely be a he said/he said situation.

Anyway he got another 2000mi out of the tire. Moral and lesson learned: maybe carrying a plug it isn't a bad idea. If the tire otherwise has a lot of life left it might be worth it to also patch it from the inside. Doing it yourself might be the only option if doing it yourself is an option.

I've got a plug kit and I'm not afraid to use it. Even if someone uses it solely to get to the shops to for a new tire it's most likely a good idea. Plus there's the concept of investing in prevention for an event that never occurs. A win-win in disguise.
 
Back
Top Bottom