Progressive 465 oddity

Bike
Vstrom 650
My install went very well, no problems. The only issue was it took 2 full weeks to get it. :mad:
2 weeks!! I wish mine had come that quick,I have been waiting over a month now for mine,it's not wilbers fault,their agent in Ireland has had it in stock since last Friday,and he still hasn't sent it to me,I will be communicating somehow with Wilbers in Germany to tell them so,this may be of help in the future to anyone ordering from vmtech in Cork,my advice, DON'T,
I have never seen worse customer service, doesn't answer emails, makes nonsense of my idea of ordering from an Irish supplier,
in future I would deal directly with Wilbers in Germany,or their agents in the UK.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
If you are considering an upgrade to this shock from biker trends, don't expect it to come very quickly. It's getting close to the 2 week mark.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Shock came today, Roanoke, VA to Indianapolis, 14 days. I figured out how it took so long. They walked it here. Hard to argue for free shipping. In all, it was 357.00. I found one other company that had a cheaper price, for the 21.00 shipping it would be 4 dollars more. If you have the time to wait, Bikertrends.com is your source for the cheapest price for this excellent, rebuildable replacement shock.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
IMG_3929.JPGIMG_3931.JPG
Bike on center stand.
Remove seat, right side case and cover.
What you will see is an image of the first picture.
The bolts for removing the shock were obvious.
In the second picture is shows a plank of wood that has been helpful in rolling the car tire on before I put the bike on the center stand.
It was also useful to use this piece of wood to find the right amount of leverage on the wheel to take stress off of the lower bolt.
I did not remove anything else to switch shocks. I was able to flex the muffler out about 1/4 inch to pull the bolt out of the way on the lower portion.
Having removed the lower bolt, I released the leverage on the tire and it rested on the ground, pulling away from the shock.
14mm socket on the top bolt and pull the shock out, it's that easy.

For installation I decided it would be easier to assemble the top bolt first to hold the shock in place.
I used the crescent wrench that you see under the plank to help leverage the tire up to a point the lower bolt could be placed.
Since the muffler is obviously in the way, I slipped a flat screwdriver over the muffler to be able to tap the head of the bolt to move into place and begin threading it in.
We'll see how it rides tomorrow, I'm expecting great things.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I installed a 465 also a few years ago. How did the mounting bolts look ? One of mine was worn, so I replaced it to be on the safe side. I didn't want it to fracture while riding. Better safe than sorry, eh ? Actually, I replaced both of them.

What make/size CT is That ???? I have a GL1600 rear wheel and have been thinking of going over to the Darkside, but I thought my tire size options were limited on a ST1100. How much clearance do you have with that tire ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom