ST1100 Air Filter

Bike
2002 ST 1100
STOC #
Likewise on the CA351. Used round 1/2" foam insulation rope and contact cement to grove in top of filter for a gasket and left air box cover o-ring in place. The air box cover pressed nicely into the foam and I could clearly see the indentation each time I replaced the filter. Renewed the foam rope with each filter change.

Jim
I used the CA351 for many years without issue until last year. Went to Colorado and when I was above 7000 feet it ran terrible and couldn't get above 40mph. Replaced it with a K&N.

Bike
'05 ST1300
Phil, I read a few years ago that the OEM were so durable that you can treat them as if they were a K&N. You can get the clean/oil kits with out buying the filter.
Spray the cleaner on it, let it sit a bit, wash with cold water from the inside and dry. When dry apply a LIGHT coat of the spray on oil.
I have two or three and I always had one ready to go in so i didn't have to wait for it to dry.
The first time I did it I had a white shop rag in the sink to see if any of the fibers were being washed out with the dirt. I saw nothing to indicate it was a bad practice.
I used to wash the OEM filter in my VTR, CBR and VFR's. Remove the filter, tap it a couple of times to dislodge the wildlife, then a quick vacuum.

Next, drop it in a sink full of warm water with some liquid laundry soap. Let soak an hour, a gentle pass with a soft brush if necessary, followed by a warm water rinse.

Air dry and Bob's your uncle :) Never oiled mine as I found the filtering performance was top shelf. M2C

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Phil,it doesn't take much of either. Even if you over use both the cleaner and oil, you still have enough in the small cans to do several filters. I would guess you could do 5 or 6. You reall don't use much oil. The first time I did it I went overboard and I had red oil pooled in the bottom of the holder. Even if you only did all three filters twice,, what would you have spent on new OEM units?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-99-5000-Air-Filter-Cleaner-Oil-Recharger-Kit-Red-/190870879768?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c70ca7e18&vxp=mtr
This looks like the set I have. $15,,,,even if you only try it once it doesn't hurt much.
Mark - That's what I needed. Thanks a bunch!

Top Bottom