ST1100 Air Filter

Likewise on the CA351. Used round 1/2" foam insulation rope and contact cement to grove in top of filter for a gasket and left air box cover o-ring in place. The air box cover pressed nicely into the foam and I could clearly see the indentation each time I replaced the filter. Renewed the foam rope with each filter change.

Jim

I used the CA351 for many years without issue until last year. Went to Colorado and when I was above 7000 feet it ran terrible and couldn't get above 40mph. Replaced it with a K&N.

Phil, I read a few years ago that the OEM were so durable that you can treat them as if they were a K&N. You can get the clean/oil kits with out buying the filter.
Spray the cleaner on it, let it sit a bit, wash with cold water from the inside and dry. When dry apply a LIGHT coat of the spray on oil.
I have two or three and I always had one ready to go in so i didn't have to wait for it to dry.
The first time I did it I had a white shop rag in the sink to see if any of the fibers were being washed out with the dirt. I saw nothing to indicate it was a bad practice.

I used to wash the OEM filter in my VTR, CBR and VFR's. Remove the filter, tap it a couple of times to dislodge the wildlife, then a quick vacuum.

Next, drop it in a sink full of warm water with some liquid laundry soap. Let soak an hour, a gentle pass with a soft brush if necessary, followed by a warm water rinse.

Air dry and Bob's your uncle :) Never oiled mine as I found the filtering performance was top shelf. M2C

Phil,it doesn't take much of either. Even if you over use both the cleaner and oil, you still have enough in the small cans to do several filters. I would guess you could do 5 or 6. You reall don't use much oil. The first time I did it I went overboard and I had red oil pooled in the bottom of the holder. Even if you only did all three filters twice,, what would you have spent on new OEM units?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-99-5000...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c70ca7e18&vxp=mtr
This looks like the set I have. $15,,,,even if you only try it once it doesn't hurt much.

Mark - That's what I needed. Thanks a bunch!

Top Bottom