"Taint" comfortable... LD Undergarments

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have been using LDComfort undergarments regularly for over 5 years. I learned about the brand from fellow IBA members, who swear by them. As do I. Coming from the desert southwest, I ride in the heat often, and for that my LDComforts are the best I've ever used. I have also used the garments on longer rides, such as my 10,000 miles in 10 days last year, and for every rally I ride. I have ridden 3 consecutive 20 hour days in the same pair without issues. For hot weather riding, I wear the long sleeved undershirt and wet it at fuel stops, for nice evaporative cooling. In cooler weather the garments provide comfortable warmth. The garments have no seams anywhere that would cause comfort issues. They last a long time, I still use the first pair I ever bought. I personally prefer to buy mine one size larger than normal, as they are very stretchy and I find the regular sized ones a bit snug. In any case, Highly recommended.

Garry
Gilbert, AZ

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hi Mick. LD Comfort shorts since '01, 125K ago. Below freezing to 115F. Highly recommended.

Edit: forgot to say the "Roo fly" is simply brilliant!!

Regards, John

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Someone mentioned washing and using dryer sheets you should never was anything that is moisture wicking with a fabric softner as it will destroy the wicking propertiers of the material. Another great feature of the LD comfort stuff is you can wash it in a sink with soap or shampoo rinse it and wrap it in a towel for a while then hang it and it will be dry in the morning

I'm blaming undergarments for the problem but maybe it's just that my aging skin is becoming more sensitive to heat and moisture??? Whatever it is, I've got to find a solution because it's making for miserable riding during the hot summer months.
Mick, I lived in Houston 30 years and I truly believe the humidity is your problem. I also have a pair of the LD shorts and have found them great in cold weather, and hot, DRY weather. Unfortunately, my experience in hot, HUMID weather has not been good. The reason for this, IMO, is that when the humidity is high the shorts will not wick moisture away from the skin which then causes problems. So if I'm going to be riding in hot humid weather I switch to cotton shorts and Gold Bond, plus install my sheepskin to improve air flow. And no, there is no seam in the LD Comfort shorts.

I now ride on an Airhawk R cushion 95% of the time. Is relieves pressure on butt, has improved air flow where it counts and just works well to extend my saddle time.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Thanks for all the input guys :bow1: .
I ordered a pair of LD Comfort underpants last night. Should be here by the end of the week. Keeping my fingers crossed that they work for me... :please1: .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Gold Bond,
Yeah, I've tried powder as well (Zeasorb) but after an hour or so, it's as if nothing is there because the moisture just overwhelms the stuff.

I lived in Houston 30 years
Congrats on escaping Houston. I originally intended to leave this place when I retired but when push came to shove, I realized we would be giving up a lot more than just the heat, humidity & traffic if we left. Friends, doctors, a paid off house in a good neighborhood, lots to do, etc.; all these things kept us tethered to Houston.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Without reading through the whole thread again, I believe the last thing you should do with LD garments is use powder as it clogs the garments wicking abillities.....

I tried some baby powder last week when it was exceptionally hot over here and it worked for a while, but my sports underwear and the goretex just couldn't cope with the levels of heat/sweat.... having a plastic motorcycle seat isn't the best option for hot weather.....

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Got the LD underpants today. I noticed that there is a large, flat seam right down the middle of the taint area. The seam is flat so maybe it won't bother me. The other thing that struck me is how thick the material is.

I've got the ST torn apart doing a slew of maintenance right now so it will be a few days before I can give the underpants a real world test.

I will say that these pants appear to be VERY well made. Just hope they work for me and solve my problem.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Got the LD underpants today. I noticed that there is a large, flat seam right down the middle of the taint area. The seam is flat so maybe it won't bother me. The other thing that struck me is how thick the material is.

I've got the ST torn apart doing a slew of maintenance right now so it will be a few days before I can give the underpants a real world test.

I will say that these pants appear to be VERY well made. Just hope they work for me and solve my problem.
That flat seam down the middle is what caused me so much discomfort with the LD shorts. Felt like my private parts were being sawed in half. The material is also thick and I found them to be very hot. The thinner biking type shorts are very much cooler for me.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I mentioned that seam in post #16
Yes I saw mention of it. Others reported no problem with it but when I saw the actual size of the seam, I started hurting just thinking about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
That flat seam down the middle is what caused me so much discomfort with the LD shorts. Felt like my private parts were being sawed in half. The material is also thick and I found them to be very hot. The thinner biking type shorts are very much cooler for me.
Looks like the shorts were the way I should have gone. As mentioned, I was a bit taken aback when I saw how thick the material was. They look like they'd be hot. My current spandex pants are full length and are what I use both in summer and winter. I ordered the LD Comfort pants to get something similar.

I just emailed LD comfort about their shorts asking if they also have that mongo seam. If not, I might try exchanging them rather than returning the pants. Unfortunately, since I opened up the package, they charge 25% for exchanges or returns.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Didn't read the whole thread but do have a pair of LD shorts. Have only worn them a couple times. Didn't seem to do me any good. I have however found boxers and a Bead Rider to be the hot (cool) ticket. Like having and air conditioned booty. Sorry if this has been covered already.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Most people like the LD comfort shorts but they did not work for me at all. After about 30 minutes the pain would begin down under (flat seam up the middle was very irritating) and became absolutely unbearable.
This is an old thread but as the OP, I thought I'd update it. Short story is that the LD Comfort pants did no good. For the long story, read on.

After receiving the LD Comfort pants, I used them in late July of 2014 on what was going to be a relatively short trip... Houston to Fort Worth with a stop for lunch about 80 miles from my starting point. At about the 30 minute mark I could start feeling that big flat seam in the taint area. By the time I got to the lunch spot, it was getting uncomfortable so I took them off and put my normal riding undergarment on (took it along just in case). After lunch I took off but didn't get even 100 miles when the discomfort became so bad I turned around and went back to Houston. Because of the pain, it was a LONG ride home, a ride in which I spent a lot of time standing up on the pegs. So, obviously the original problem wasn't the undergarment, it's just that the LD comfort pants with its huge seam just made things worse.

The discomfort after the above ride acted different this time because it took a week to go away completely. I couldn't explore a cause or solution any further because just a few weeks after my ride, I had shoulder surgery which meant no riding for about 6 months.

Flash forward to October or November of 2014 when it finally occurred to me to go see a Doc. When I saw him, I could tell he was stumped but finally he blurted out that it was XYZ and prescribed cortizone cream. He did this probably because he didn't want to look unknowledgeable to his little interns who were following him around. Turned out to be a BAD call. That stuff made things orders of magnitude worse and the discomfort didn't go away for at least a month!

I finally found out exactly what was going on when I went to a dermatologist. Within 5 minutes he knew what it was. He sent me to another doc who verified what was going on. The condition has a tongue twisting, $10 word that describes it, but the upshot is that it's a somewhat rare neurological condition that has an unknown cause and no known cure. Basically, if I'm riding in hot weather, the nerves down there start sending false messages to my brain that I've got a burn blister down there about the size of a quarter... problem is, there is no blister, no rash, no abnormality of any kind. Despite the fact that it's not real, it hurts like the dickens after about 45 minutes or an hour.

This "condition" has caused me money! When I bought the bike in the dead of summer, 2012, I rode it 600 miles home in one sitting in temps as high as 108 degrees. I had no problem with sitting that long. A couple of months later on a day ride, I noticed that the seat seemed to be uncomfortable, unlike what it had been when I rode it home in hot weather. On subsequent rides I started noticing the discomfort more and more, and remember feeling my seat at gas stops to see if the ST's legendary heat might be raising the temperature of the seat but it wasn't. Later I had my seat Spencerized. That didn't seem to do much so I bit the bullet and bought a Sargent. At first, it seemed to be better (probably my wishful thinking). As time progressed however, even the Sargent wasn't making things any better and as a matter of fact, the discomfort was growing worse and was coming on quicker each time I rode.

Because of all this, I've had to make a final, painful decision about riding, one that I really didn't want to have to make. I'm selling my ST and giving up two wheels. I could probably get away with riding in the dead of winter but I don't want to risk making things worse and/or permanent because my wife and I have a lot of 4-wheeled travel plans made for the next few years of retirement.

I've been trying to get back to normal riding since 2009 when I had my first shoulder operation. Since then my body has thrown roadblocks in the way of motorcycling. First it was my shoulders which required 4 surgeries, then while that was going on, my neck began bothering me a lot which turned out to be arthritis, and now this new thing that has stopped my riding dead in it's tracks. 'Taint fair :).

So, what next as someone on another forum asked? Well, below is a picture of what's next. It's not a motorcycle but it's fun in it's own right. If it gives me just 10% of the joy that all my ST's and other motorcycles over the last 16 years have given me, I'll be happy. I can already tell you that it's a blast in the corners. That thing is amazingly stable and sticks to the road in the curves like glue!

Meet my new to me, 2010 Miata w/ just 19k miles, power retractable hard top, 6speed Auto-Manual transmission (has paddle shifters for manual mode), 2 liter engine, Dynamic Stability Control with TCS, and ABS disk brakes all around:

fayetteville1_zpsoukzbae4[1].jpg

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
As a former runner with lots of "wicking" clothing I found that some of them would lose their wicking ability after repeated washings and using dryer sheets/softeners.
You are not supposed to use any type of fabric softener with wicking clothing it will stop the wicking process.

Top Bottom