"Taint" comfortable... LD Undergarments

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Does anyone have experience with underpants from this outfit:

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

I currently have a pair of 8 year old, long legged spandex pants made by Kaos that I wear underneath my Darien pants to help wick moisture form my skin and aid the cooling process, but in the last year or so, they seem to be causing more problems than they cure. Specifically they seem to be trapping heat and moisture in the perineum area (aka taint) causing a burning sensation from irritation. At first I thought it was the ST's engine heat but I've felt the seat and tank area with my bare hands while going down the road and it doesn't feel unusually warm. Then I thought maybe it was the Sargent saddle itself but then I remembered having the same problem with the stock saddle.

Some questions for you hot weather riders:

1. If you've used pants from LD Comfort, how to did they work out in terms of all day comfort.

2. Is there a seam in the crotch area that could also cause discomfort in the perineum area?

I'm blaming undergarments for the problem but maybe it's just that my aging skin is becoming more sensitive to heat and moisture??? Whatever it is, I've got to find a solution because it's making for miserable riding during the hot summer months.

Last edited:

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
I've been using them for a couple of years and have been very happy with them. No "taint" issues for me....

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
+1 great stuff will keep you warm in the cold and in the hot weather you can wet the shirt and it will keep you very nice and cool. No discomfort while wearing these I have long and shorts.

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I bought a pair of LD Comfort shorts in 2012....I have been very happy with them.

I have a pair of bicycling shorts and, while they work for padding, they don't wick and keep you dry like the LD Comfort shorts do.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
[QUOTE;1770104] i have a taint issue but only if I don't remember to use the cream and applicator! [/QUOTE]

What cream are you referring to?

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Been using the shorts for several years and definitely love them. I would be wary of using powders or creams because they mention how they may clog the pores of the clothing.
Recently purchased a long sleeve shirt for cooling after talking with SteveST1300 but have not used it yet.

Skip

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
You gotta try it Skip it works great I used mine again going home from the Forksville RTE 85+ degrees wearing my KLIM jacket with all the vents open and still very comfortable.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Yeah it's incredible how the LDComfort shorts will feel cool on your skin when you put them on, and keep you warm because they don't retain humidity when it's cold. They are the absolute best.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
As a former runner with lots of "wicking" clothing I found that some of them would lose their wicking ability after repeated washings and using dryer sheets/softeners.

There are products for washing them clean of this "residue" that can interfere with their wicking capability. Just a thought as a possible solution or something to try.

Maybe it 'taint worth a try, but it couldn't hurt :burnout.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
For those who have the LDcomfort.com pants, does it have a seam in the taint area? My Kaos pair has one and I'm thinking that it may be adding to my discomfort.

There is a central, front to back, seam there on mine. I've never noticed it being a discomfort issue. I have worn them for very long days without issue, and I am pretty 'sensitive' about that issue.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I bought a pair last month to try and help with the dreaded burning sensation when wearing normal underwear on the bike. Having just finished a 3000 mile trip to Greece via France/Switzerland and Italy in temps up to 38C I can only concur with the others posts... excellent piece of kit.
BTW I also stopped for a break every 90-120 mins for liquid intake to avoid dehydration in the high temps, and that would also help avoid the problems.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I have a couple pair of the LD shorts but wound up trying a pair of Starter compression shorts from Walmart during my 6700 mile ride and was very impressed with them for $10. I wore the Walmart ones on a 892 mile ride home the last day with no complaints at all from Big Jim and the Twins. Otherwise, I'll use old bicycle shorts as well. Whatever works.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I bought a pair last month to try and help with the dreaded burning sensation when wearing normal underwear on the bike.

I've always worn normal cotton underwear then spandex over that thinking the spandex would wick moisture from the cotton. Did you wear just the spandex (generic term I'm using for wicking undergarments) alone?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Most people like the LD comfort shorts but they did not work for me at all. After about 30 minutes the pain would begin down under (flat seam up the middle was very irritating) and became absolutely unbearable. The last time I wore them I stopped after an hour and removed them and never wore them again. I gave them to an ST-Owner on this site. I tried them several times with powder etc. - no luck. The Owner of LD products (Mario?) sent me a pair with a different cut. These were better but I could not call them comfortable. I also found the material very hot to wear. Since that time I have used padded bicycle shorts with the Coolmax pad and stretch Lycra type material. I can ride all day without any issues at all - wicks the moisture away and are so much cooler to wear. You can also find these kind of shorts on Ebay for about a third of the price of the LD shorts. No doubt the LD shorts are well made and for many are top notch but they just were not for me.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I've worn out of couple of pairs of LD shorts. I bought 2 more pairs plus a pair of long johns and a shirt w/ long sleeves & high neck that is almost better in the heat than it is in the cold.

Maybe some of this would help for the chafing etc ... They also sell a lotion

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Certainly a wide distribution of experiences . . . . . . . .

Unable to report "taints" here - just pure comfort.

Been using them for years without a "problem" or "incident" of any kind.

Replaced two years ago, and still going strong.

Thank you,
-Elliot

Top Bottom