“Best” front and back dash cam for motorcycles?

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
If you want the DVR visible, what do you want to see, the view behind you?
Speaking strictly for myself... Yes.

There's lots of occasions where I push my bike backwards through tight spaces (usually only a few mm to spare as the mirrors come past). Much easier to do on the bike, and would be nice to see behind for those times.

Can I cope without a dash mounted DVR? I seem to have done for the last 12 months...

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Speaking strictly for myself... Yes.

There's lots of occasions where I push my bike backwards through tight spaces (usually only a few mm to spare as the mirrors come past). Much easier to do on the bike, and would be nice to see behind for those times.

Can I cope without a dash mounted DVR? I seem to have done for the last 12 months...
Most, if not all of these devices have an associated app. The app can show the camera real time, so you can mount your phone and see the front or rear camera.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Most, if not all of these devices have an associated app. The app can show the camera real time, so you can mount your phone and see the front or rear camera.
My phone is already mounted to the dash, and in an IP67 rated case. It's an option I had already considered.

No decisions made, I'm not in a rush, just watching with interest.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ad.hom said:
it'd have to be IP67 minimum.
One if not two of the cams mentioned in the threads is/are 1P67 rated. I don't know if you'll find a higher rated cam. Even the zümo 595LM is rated at IPX7. I don't know that IPX8 would offer any significant increase in protection. But there's always a GLAD sandwich bag. :D

Since some of these cam BT to a phone and allow you to see what a cam sees I'd consider using an iPad mini BT's to the DVR. To use it in heavy rain or any rain it'd need a water proof case of which there are many.

I'm considering using mine as my sat nav with Scenic so BT'ing it to a DVR wouldn't be a stretch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
My iPhone mounted on a Ram is already displaying other info. Don’t want to have to mess with it to view the dash cam view (rear). So a dedicated rear view would be nice, but not a necessity. The mirrors do an “OK” job, but not purely rear view.

Any experience with the MotoWolf that is similar to the Halo M1?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My cell phone is planted firmly in my jacket, inside breast pocket, so I have it after I get knocked off my bike. I don't want to be separated from it!

I'm thinking of taking my old cell phone and using it's wifi for a rear camera. Mount it on top of my tank bag or something.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
My iPhone mounted on a Ram is already displaying other info. Don’t want to have to mess with it to view the dash cam view (rear). So a dedicated rear view would be nice, but not a necessity.
Exactly my thinking. Though I wouldn't want an iPhone if you paid me. :nanner1:

My phone, in a RAM X-Grip mounted to the middle of the bar riser, serves duty as media centre (podcasts/music/phone) and satnav. It'd be a faff to switch to a camera app & back again, but entirely possible (both my summer & winter gloves are capacitive touch).

I have a RAM ball mounted on top of the dash, right in the middle. So if I see the right hardware, it could be a decent setup. If I don't, it's no real loss. My other thought for that RAM ball is a divers board, so I have a backup for satnav on longer journeys. They cope with water pretty well apparently...

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I don't know that IPX8 would offer any significant increase in protection.
Me either, but I know that IP67 works for moderate rain with my phone case, which is why it's my minimum requirement.

The right unit (for me) will probably need to be easily removable too, meaning water proofed connections into the DVR.

The other option I'm mulling over for the reverse camera is waiting for the summer, going to a bike show & taking a close look at whatever smart helmets are there, and passing my current helmet on to the wife.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Take it from a guy with multiple displays on the bike...

- keep them up as high and forward looking as possible
- only look at it 1 second and while going straight and clear of vehicles
So are you looking more for a dash camera system that allows bonus live rear view, or really primarily want a rear view option with a bonus DVR & front camera?

It's hard to have both in a stand alone system (as I'm sure you know.)

Looking at it from a rear view "mirror" standpoint only:

There are gadgets out there that work (or have been adapted to work) similar to backup cameras for cars - shoot the rear video feed and send it to a display for you to use as a rear view mirror - without DVR ability.

There are also a few helmets, (some out for a while and others coming out Feb 2020) that have either an integrated camera like the CrossHelmet x1 or mirror system like Reevu MSX-1, that gives rear view inside the helmet - no external screens required. Allows you to see what's behind you regardless of how you move your head. Pricey though!

Reevu

CrossHelmet

It all adds to more tech on your bike that could distract - and there's already a lot on a police bike (looking at your pics)

There's also another DIY type option that would involve splicing into the rear camera feed and splitting it. Send it to the DVR and to a dedicated dash screen. I'm sure it's doable. No WiFi or Bluetooth etc. needed. Dedicated screen. Downside is the tinkering to get it wired, and the extra screen on the dash/handlebars.

For now I simply am adding a convex mirror on the dash (better rear wide side view - not great for directly behind me) and will keep on with the shoulder checks, while continuing to wait and see what comes up as new tech / options in the upcoming months and years. <shrug>

Bike
2005 st1300
Other than maybe the instance that ad.hom mentioned about backing up, im struggling to understand why someone needs a live view behind them, when we have enough distractions in front of us these days. I have 2 live views mounted on all my vehicles... mirrors.
I will now go don my flame-retardent clothing and add...

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Primarily, the goal is to replace the front and back mounted GoPros with an always on and looping cam set.
Secondarily, would like a live rear view, not so much as I’m riding than as I’m sitting at lights or getting ready to get into traffic. Getting myself turned all the way around to check behind around mirror blind spots is dicey and into traffic as you know.

Theres other things I want to get before a smart helmet with a HUD or rear view display, such as:
- front tire
- front/rear dash camera
- air bag vest
- quality full face or modular helmet (someday maybe with an electronic air cooler)

Last edited:
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
My solution for improving rear vision (for traffic) is this a curved mirror attached in the middle of the windscreen, just below my eye level. That, combined with the spots, means that the only thing stopping 360degree vision without moving my head, is the fact I'm sat on the bike.

A rear camera being mounted lower would be helpful though.

And, @AV8R - I doubt you have space for an extra mirror. I've seen your pics. :rofl1: Also wouldn't help with evidence being that a mirror would struggle to achieve 1080p@60fps.

Bike
2005 st1300
Not sure what phone/OS you are using but you could get a cam with no screen and use your phone for live view and have the camera app open with other apps and you could cycle through the apps as you need them. You could have the rear camera front and center when stopped and when you get moving, switch to your nav or other app you want to view. Now this is straight forward stuff for any phone, but the reason I mentioned type of phone is because if you have an android, you could run an app called Tasker, where you could automate the process.

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
My solution for improving rear vision (for traffic) is this a curved mirror attached in the middle of the windscreen, just below my eye level. That, combined with the spots, means that the only thing stopping 360degree vision without moving my head, is the fact I'm sat on the bike.

A rear camera being mounted lower would be helpful though.

And, @AV8R - I doubt you have space for an extra mirror. I've seen your pics. :rofl1: Also wouldn't help with evidence being that a mirror would struggle to achieve 1080p@60fps.
they asked Rockefeller how much or many dollars was enough, he responded:
”One more”

Last edited:
Top Bottom