2003 ST 1300 as first bike?

Hello all!

I am new to the forum. I got my endorsement about 6 years ago and have done some riding here and there on friends bikes but nothing more than 250ccs. Now I am serious about buying a bike. I took a look at the dealership yesterday and looked at some bikes in the 500cc range such as the CB500x and Z400. My grandpa found out I was in the market and offered to hand me down his '03 ST1300 with 43,000 miles for about half of what he was planning on selling it for.

Question is, would this be reasonable for an inexperienced rider like me? Financially, it is really my best option. I don't have to worry about financing and insurance isn't too bad because the bike is almost 20 years old. However, I am concerned that it is a pretty bug bike for a guy like me with not much experience. I am about 200lbs and 5'11"

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Not a deal breaker. We put our middle son on an st1100 while he was driving to school on his learner permit (both of us were unavailable to get him to a 7am honors class).

The freeways move a bit fast and we've got some beemer drivers who think they own them (weave through traffic); so, I'd wait until you have more situational awareness.

I'd ride it on surface streets for 6 months (really 6 whole months) and by the end of that you'll be proficient.

Good luck!

Sheriff41

Chuck
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
It's a big bike that gets smaller once moving. However, I wouldn't recommend it for a first bike. It has a lot of performance that can bite you pretty quickly if you are short on skill. It mostly depends on your ability and how responsible a rider you are.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It really comes down to the person sitting in the seat and twisting the throttle. Yes, it is a big bike but if you take the time to learn where the clutch starts to bite or how twitchy the throttle can be in first gear while in a parking lot or on surface streets you should be fine.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome to the forum.

I would buy it from him for that kind of a price. But then I would go pick up a smaller/really cheap bike. Ride that smaller bike for a few months, until you feel comfortable on it, then start slowly on the ST1300.

I say that because, once you start riding a smaller bike, you'll find that you will out grow it within a very short period of time, and you'll be kicking yourself for not getting the ST1300.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Welcome to the forum!

I suggest a blended plan if there's any way you can make it work:

1. Do whatever it takes to reserve the ST, whether it's making payments, doing chores and running errands for Grandpa, etc. Don't let it get away; it's barely broken in. Tell Grandpa "YES!"

2. Buy an inexpensive bike, in the 500-to-750 range, and ride it until you hone your riding skills, which takes much time and many miles, so you don't do any damage to the ST.

Reasoning: It's hard enough to ride until your skills become instinctive without also learning how to handle a bike big and heavy enough to challenge us seasoned riders.

Added: Well, it looks like SS shares my sentiments. :thumb: A Nighthawk 750 is a good interim bike.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Well yes it is not a beginers bike but with time and patience you can handle it. In my case I went from a 250 (I wasted my money) to a 550cc to an 1100cc. My thing is not so much the power is the weight difference. A 250cc might be 300lbs vs a 700 lbs fully fueled motorcycle. If it was me I'd do practicing on private property or the fair grounds and slowly build up you skill/confidence. As far as power goes once you get use to it it will become mundane. I use to think that 1100/1300 cc's were power monsters. Well I guess they are if you are a moped rider.

Bike
VStrom 650
Buy it, why wouldn't ya.
Fit rear tip over bars BEFORE riding it. That's BEFORE.
Get some good advanced training, not only will it be a very good idea regardless but you can build your confidence nice and slowly. All this with the money that's left over.
Oh yes, buy grandpa a bottle of whisky.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
It's a big bike that gets smaller once moving. However, I wouldn't recommend it for a first bike. It has a lot of performance that can bite you pretty quickly if you are short on skill. It mostly depends on your ability and how responsible a rider you are.
Well, I definitely do not intend to go over the speed limit much. The reason I have waited so long to get a bike is I am nervous of the safety level of riding a motorcycle with other drivers not paying attention. Last thing I want is to increase that risk. My commute would be about a 12 mile commute each way daily. I go in the opposite direction of traffic due to my office location.

I could not afford to have the insurance on both bikes. Though I could store the bigger bike where it currently is an have it uninsured. They want let me borrow it for a few weeks and see how I like it. They seem to be preferring me to get the ST1300 rather then purchase a different bike.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
My commute would be about a 12 mile commute each way daily. I go in the opposite direction of traffic due to my office location.
Perfect.
And you can go the 'long way' home to build a bit more 'comfort' riding the bike.

OP
OP
Perfect.
And you can go the 'long way' home to build a bit more 'comfort' riding the bike.

I do worry it could be too big to start out. .But many reviews say that the bike doesn't ride like it is as heavy as it is.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I agree with SupraSabre and Larry Fine.

Secure the ST (buy it or reserve it but don't let it get away) but buy a cheap, used 500-750cc bike that has maybe been dropped once or twice because chances are, you may drop it a couple times too. Then, when you feel completely comfortable with your first bike, try taking the ST out for a ride. Only then will you be in a position to notice the difference that a large, heavy, powerful sport touring bike brings. If you feel good at that point then sell the small bike and have at it on the ST. If not, continue on the smaller bike until you are ready for the ST. :)

Bike
2000 ST1100
Well, I definitely do not intend to go over the speed limit much. The reason I have waited so long to get a bike is I am nervous of the safety level of riding a motorcycle with other driverwayss not paying attention. Last thing I want is to increase that risk. My commute would be about a 12 mile commute each way daily. I go in the opposite direction of traffic due to my office location.

I could not afford to have the insurance on both bikes. Though I could store the bigger bike where it currently is an have it uninsured. They want let me borrow it for a few weeks and see how I like it. They seem to be preferring me to get the ST1300 rather then purchase a different bike.
You hit the nail right on the head. The #1 thing you have to look out for are other drivers in cars and trucks. Because i am not trying to scare you cars and trucks are probably the biggest cause of fatalities on motorcycles. Experience motorcyclist are always riding defense,always on the look out. Always aware.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Well, I definitely do not intend to go over the speed limit much.
The biggest concern is when you're stopping, not when you're going. You must pass through "slow" every time you start or stop.

I could not afford to have the insurance on both bikes. Though I could store the bigger bike where it currently is an have it uninsured.
That's what you should do.

They want let me borrow it for a few weeks and see how I like it. They seem to be preferring me to get the ST1300 rather then purchase a different bike.
In the long run, yes, but you don't want to return it damaged. We're telling you these things because we want you to have good experiences, not to scare you.

I'm 6'3" and 235 lbs, I've been riding for 47 years, and my ST1100 is a handful. Have you even sat on it and leaned it while stopped? Be sure you're not alone when you try it.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I do worry it could be too big to start out. .But many reviews say that the bike doesn't ride like it is as heavy as it is.
I say that, too, now. How many of those reviews are by riders with your level of experience?

Until you really learn well on a smaller bike, and learn things like limits of traction, how to counter-steer, etc., there's the risk that you'll run off of the road the first time you take a sharp curve at speed. It happens to experienced riders, too.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Learn how to right the bike if you drop it. I would recommend taking a blanket and laying the bike down so that you can get a feel for how heavy it is. I am 5' 7" 160lbs and don't remember how many times I have picked mine up, alone. There is video somewhere that demonstrates how and another that demonstrates proper technique for placing on the center stand as well.

OP
OP
The biggest concern is when you're stopping, not when you're going. You must pass through "slow" every time you start or stop.

That's what you should do.

In the long run, yes, but you don't want to return it damaged. We're telling you these things because we want you to have good experiences, not to scare you.

I'm 6'3" and 235 lbs, I've been riding for 47 years, and my ST1100 is a handful. Have you even sat on it and leaned it while stopped? Be sure you're not alone when you try it.
I have say on it while stopped. It is quite heavy. I am surprised that my grandpa, at 80, is fine riding it. He is finally clocking out.

Don't worry. you all are not scaring me. The reason I found a forum specifically from ST1300 owners is because I want the feedback. I am taking into account all of the advice. And, it is why I am asking. It seems like a great deal, but again, I have the same reservations that most of you all are advising.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
You came to the forum for advise. Some really good points have been made. In the long run, it will be up to you, but remember, those here HAVE experience on the ST1300. We know what it will do. It is not a beginner's bike, although a few have managed to start there.

Whatever you do, "Choose Wisely"! :think1:

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
STacy was my first bike. Only experience I had was the 2 day get your endorsement school. That was 6 years ago. I could die tomorrow or live until I'm 110yo. War (OIF I) and being a Survivor of Suicide (6.13.2014) taught me this...there's no promises for tomorrow and yes I live for the moment now. "They'll" tell you, "you have to gradually move up because that's what they did." That thinking is like a new Harley owner not riding while he's waiting on his custom embroidered jacket to arrive. Do what YOU WANT because it's YOUR LIFE...LIVE IT. Flame on!:box1:

and yes, I do wear a face mask in public now. I'm crazy, not stupid...

Top Bottom