2003 ST 1300 as first bike?

OP
OP
Not a deal breaker. We put our middle son on an st1100 while he was driving to school on his learner permit (both of us were unavailable to get him to a 7am honors class).

The freeways move a bit fast and we've got some beemer drivers who think they own them (weave through traffic); so, I'd wait until you have more situational awareness.

I'd ride it on surface streets for 6 months (really 6 whole months) and by the end of that you'll be proficient.

Good luck!

Just noticed you are nearby. My daily commute would mostly be North on the I17 to about carefree Highway from Northern in the morning. Then back south in the evening. Against the traffif because everyone else is going the opposite direction during those times.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Scariest and worst part of the big bike is how ti reacts when you forget it. Say coming to a stop and you are leaning over in a corner. While moving the weight is balanced by the centrifigual force moving outwards, but you come to a stop leaned over, you are dropping it. Slow turns in a parking lot, same thing. If you are rolling at some speed there is not much difference between big and small, just how much pressure you have to apply, and then how fast it reacts to brakes.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Hello all!

I am new to the forum. I got my endorsement about 6 years ago and have done some riding here and there on friends bikes but nothing more than 250ccs. Now I am serious about buying a bike. I took a look at the dealership yesterday and looked at some bikes in the 500cc range such as the CB500x and Z400. My grandpa found out I was in the market and offered to hand me down his '03 ST1300 with 43,000 miles for about half of what he was planning on selling it for.

Question is, would this be reasonable for an inexperienced rider like me? Financially, it is really my best option. I don't have to worry about financing and insurance isn't too bad because the bike is almost 20 years old. However, I am concerned that it is a pretty bug bike for a guy like me with not much experience. I am about 200lbs and 5'11"

I went 40 years not riding and bought a 1100. Its so powerful and heavy, i cant ever forget to respect it. First day, i dropped it and had to pick it up. That bike is heavy. Wicked fast, wicked acceleration, wicked heavy, but definitely wicked fun!
Im gonna take a refresher course as soon as this corona thing is dealt with.
I bought the bike for xcountry touring. Here in boston, the roads are rough and generally take any short around town trips into sore ass ville. I would think something like a bonneville or something like that size would be better for short commutes or around the city. 72996C4E-A0FE-4EB4-9281-863D83905467.jpeg
Well, I definitely do not intend to go over the speed limit much. The reason I have waited so long to get a bike is I am nervous of the safety level of riding a motorcycle with other drivers not paying attention. Last thing I want is to increase that risk. My commute would be about a 12 mile commute each way daily. I go in the opposite direction of traffic due to my office location.

I could not afford to have the insurance on both bikes. Though I could store the bigger bike where it currently is an have it uninsured. They want let me borrow it for a few weeks and see how I like it. They seem to be preferring me to get the ST1300 rather then purchase a different bike.

The insurance for my 1100 in mass is $137. I dont think collision insurance matters because the ins co would total it before they fixed it.

Bike
2000 ST1100
One more thing for the OP to consider is We as motorcycle riders except the risk. We know that anytime we leave home on our bikes we may not be coming back. We bike riders have made the calculations and risks and have decided it is worth it to us. We accept it. For me it was after that first ride 46 years ago I was hooked worse than drugs. I've since then always kept a bike in my garage and will always till I can't lift my leg up over the saddle anymore.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I would definitely get the ST and use some of the money I saved to go on a training course. Best advice given to me was "remember that the throttle works both ways".
When i picked mine up, i gunned the throttle and my hands almost came off! Scared the bajesus out of me! Then i dropped it trying to get it into a parking slot, and then my timing of all sorts stunk. The list of things i needed to improve was long! Thankfully, the list has shortened!

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
That is what I did. First bike owned was a big bike. You do not have to start small.
My boss (who sold me the bike) told me just be REAL easy on the throttle and give yourself a lot of room to stop.
You always have to look out for the other guy no matter what you ride/drive.
There is a correct way to pick up the bike when you drop it, grandpa will show you or look for videos...
(your back to the bike, butt on the seat, use only your legs to lift.)
Go easy and you will be fine.
Go easy and you will be fine. ( You will be spoiled starting with the best..... )

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Welcome to the ST-Owners forum.
I'd say buy it.
Both Mark and I live in the Phx area.
Wise council to avoid the freeways until your confidence/abilities are honed.
An MSF course would stand you in good steed.
Ill second you on the course!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
While moving the weight is balanced by the centrifigual force moving outwards, but you come to a stop leaned over, you are dropping it. Slow turns in a parking lot, same thing.
That's where counter-steering comes into play at low speeds. You have to steer the tires back under the mass before you stop.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
As others have said, buy it. It sounds like a good deal.

You will drop it. There's no doubt about it. The idea of getting some rear bars for protection in case of a drop is good. It'll save those panniers on the rear.

My first bike when I came back to riding was a Kymco scooter. All of 340 lbs. It started to lean over when I was doing something with it in the garage, and I thought "no sweat". Well, it went down all the way. As small as that bike was, once it got past a certain point, there was no stopping it from falling over.

When riding at faster speeds, it'll be totally different than when you're coming to a stop or starting out. Parking lots are both a good place to learn...and an excellent opportunity to dump it. If you hit your front brake with the wheel turned...you're going over. It's physics. So respect it. Read up on all you can to make up for the lack of skills.

Chris

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
First, go sit on your grandfathers bike. Are your legs long enough for your feet to touch the ground on both sides? If yes, go for it.

Wanted a bike as I turned 60 years old and bought a 2007 new ST because it looked sexy. I had gone to the MSF beginners course 2 weeks prior riding their 125cc bike to learn to ride and was a bit nervous when I picked up my new ST. Rode it around some little back roads behind the dealership then rode the 30 minute ride home . . . awesome. Until I stopped in my driveway and the bike fell over. Bad news was that there were a few scratches on the tip-over wing. The good news was . . . there were scratches on the tip-over wing and the worry about the bike falling over was gone. After that, my riding skills improved as I rode more and more, as yours will.

If you end up getting it, you'll have all the help you need here on this forum and from it's members. If you get something else . . . you may still want to stick with us on this forum as we're a really friendly group with lots of expertise on lots of bike models and a great community to be a part of.

Welcome to the st-owners forum.

Shuey

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Just noticed you are nearby. My daily commute would mostly be North on the I17 to about carefree Highway from Northern in the morning. Then back south in the evening. Against the traffif because everyone else is going the opposite direction during those times.
Even against the traffic I'd avoid the all the freeways until you are *very* comfortable with the bike.
It would take you longer; but, I'm sure you can find a route on surface streets.
This gives you practice: starting, stopping, slow turns.
It will help you master the bike.

However... Go for it! :D

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Not counting 7 weeks on my father's Yamaha 500 40 years ago when I was 18, my ST1300 was, so far, the only bike I've ever owned or ridden for any amount of time. I bought it in 2014 and sadly lost it in an accident last year.

As others have recommended:
  1. Take the MSF Basic Rider's Course or an equivalent.
  2. Start with short, slow trips on neighborhood streets. Get used to the bike. Get used to scanning driveways and curbsides for cars emerging. Get used to having your head on a swivel, all the time.
  3. Do figure-eights and other skill-building exercises in an empty parking lot. There are lots of those around, right now.
  4. Respect the brute between your legs. It's a big heavy bike but has scads of power, available nearly instantly, and at anything over about 5 mph it is incredibly well balanced and agile. That takes some getting used to. Go EASY on that throttle!
  5. DON'T tip it very far off vertical if you are not moving very fast, or you will quickly learn how to pick it up.
  6. As with any motorcycle, knowing how to make full-lock low-speed maneuvers without applying the brake is a hard-learned skill. Hit the brake, and you'll hit the deck.
  7. Do not expect to jump on and ride like your favorite MotoGP hero. Not only should you not expect to be able to do so, you should avoid trying.
  8. I went weeks without even getting on the larger secondary roads in my area. I went more months before venturing onto a (mostly empty) freeway for even as much as one exit.
  9. Build up your confidence, and more importantly your SKILLS and good habits, before tangling with heavy freeway traffic in rush hour.
With that in mind, and if you are sensible and sane about your approach, the ST1300 *can* be a fine first bike.

Unrelated to actual riding: take the time to get familiar with the maintenance procedures and basic upkeep tasks. You'll soon find that you develop a real appreciation for the bike, just by taking care of it properly. You'll also be better positioned to help yourself instead of relying on someone else, when it really matters.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
That's where counter-steering comes into play at low speeds. You have to steer the tires back under the mass before you stop.
Not sure I understand how counter steering figures into this equation, especially since there are so many definitions of countersteer. Countersteer in a skid/drift or countersteer by push left to go left?

Hving the tires back under the center of mass before stopping can be more easily described as not coming to a stop while leaned over, ie in a corner. IMHO

Technically the same thing, one in laymen terms, one in scientific connotation. Tires under center of mass requires minimal leg muscle activation and exertion to maintain equilibrium resulting in an upright stature while making zero forward progress. ;)

Bike
2004 ST1300
Just to reiterate what others have said... As long as you are aware of your limits and ride well within them, riding the ST as a first bike should not be that difficult. It's the stopping and low speed maneuvers that you are going to have to be hyper-aware of. Loose gravel, uneven road surface, uphill starts, grabbing too much brake and unplanned stops are all things the ST will bite you for much quicker than a smaller bike at very low speed. Just take your time and get plenty of parking lot practice.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
As many others on this thread have pointed out, low-speed maneuvers are where the ST will bite you. Once above 5mph, the bike is much like any lightweight bike (except for the power!). Your size or strength will serve only to mask bad technique. A lightweight motorcycle will do the same. The ST will spotlight any poor techniques you have and do it mercilessly. I'm not ashamed to admit that when I got the ST, it intimidated me at low speeds (still does, frankly). I came from an off-road background and found that I had a lot of bad techniques masked because I was able to muscle a lightweight off-road bike around. The ST will not allow that.
Get advanced training (Ride Like A Pro channel on youtube is also a great source). And be honest with yourself about your current abilities and ride accordingly as you gain experience and skill.
I once read a story about a former WWII fighter pilot teaching his grandson to fly in a P51 Mustang. He proved it can be done teaching a beginner in a high-performance machine vs a "beginner" machine. It just demands respect and proper technique right from the beginning.
GET THE ST! It sounds like a great deal and you will be starting out on one of the finest ever made!

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I would recommend a lighter less powerful bike for your first one. If you do buy it you'll probably drop it a few times when you are stopping at an intersection turning right. You'll then quickly learn not to stop with your bars turned. You can take the BRC2 class with your own bike to become more comfortable doing low speed maneuvers and quick stops. Your best bet is to buy an inexpensive smaller bike and ride it a lot before getting a bigger bike. If you buy 2nd hand and shop well you should be able to get all or most of your money back when you sell it.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Not sure I understand how counter steering figures into this equation, especially since there are so many definitions of countersteer. Countersteer in a skid/drift or countersteer by push left to go left?
I guess the latter, if there's really a difference. Suppose you're stopped, engine running and in gear, and you intentionally lean the bike to the right. Now, for some reason, you can't stand the bike back up. If you twist the front wheel to the right and move forward, the front wheel moves to the right, under the weight, and the bike straightens up.

To me, that's the exact same action as seen during the transition in the middle of a right-to-left S-curve. The bike is leaning to the right, and you apply torque to the handle-bars, steering the front wheel to the right which moves it under the mass (center of gravity) on the way to being to the right of the COG, where the bike then leans to the left.

Now, say you're slowing to a stop under the same circumstance, leaning (and slowly turning) to the right. As you stop, if you maintain the lean, the bike wants to fall to the right. If you steer the front wheel under the COG as you stop, the lean disappears. We do this as we stop when not leaning, to create a slight lean to put only one foot down.

Hving the tires back under the center of mass before stopping can be more easily described as not coming to a stop while leaned over, ie in a corner. IMHO

Technically the same thing, one in laymen terms, one in scientific connotation. Tires under center of mass requires minimal leg muscle activation and exertion to maintain equilibrium resulting in an upright stature while making zero forward progress. ;)
Exactly. Every rider counter-steers, consciously or not, even on a bicycle. Doing it intentionally allows us to isolate steering and leaning. When you see a road racer hanging off to the inside of a turn at speed, he's actually using "counter-counter-steering" to keep the bike from leaning as far as the placement of the COG alone would otherwise cause it to lean.

Those riders who are unaware control steering with leaning, while those who are aware control leaning with steering. If you intentionally lean your body to one side, you must counter-steer to ride straight. Try that next time you're on the bike. Ride down a straight road, lean your body to one side, and note the twist required to keep going in a straight line.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
My personal opinion is the ST is not a good first bike. I always steer inexperienced riders toward something real easy to get comfortable on, like a Suzuki SV650 or similar. There's more than just developing "riding skills". It's developing road/situational awareness until it becomes second nature. Trying to learn both at the same time can be a daunting task. Just 2 cents worth from somebody with 40+ years on 2 wheels.

Top Bottom