2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If they did the same thing with weight on the Cross Trouer as they did on the Tenere, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Feels so much lighter than it looks or says on paper.

Besides, for a bike that is doing 'mostly' touring, you don't want it to be too light.. if you do, you need a different bike... if you want a light off road bike, none of these will suffice, get a different bike..

I'll be curious to see what the price point is for the Triumph. If they can keep it around 14k the have a hit and are doing what Kawasaki did with the Concours, a more affordable feature-rich product.

Bike
None
STOC #
If they did the same thing with weight on the Cross Trouer as they did on the Tenere, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Feels so much lighter than it looks or says on paper.

Besides, for a bike that is doing 'mostly' touring, you don't want it to be too light.. if you do, you need a different bike... if you want a light off road bike, none of these will suffice, get a different bike..
Point well taken, but it is not a "light off road bike" that most of us are looking for. Personally, after doing a bit of research, I had decided that the Super Tenere would be the best choice for me. However, because my Hondas have always treated me well over the years, I wanted to wait until EICMA to see what the final version of the Cross Tourer would be. No matter how much lighter it may feel than it looks, it is still 50+ pounds heavier than the Super Tenere and Triumph Tiger, and 100+ heavier than the 1200GS. To me, that is significant, and disappointing. Perhaps someday I may regret the decision, but for now I have joined dm_mg in crossing it off my shopping list.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Well, there's a lot to be said about weight. I don't think any of the above mentioned bikes are meant for serious off-roading including the GS. 500 lbs. hopping over logs, power sliding in the dirt, climbing rocky slopes is going to be a handful. On the flip side, speeding down the motorway on a 500 pounder feels a lot different than it does on my old ST13 pig and I'm not talking about an improvement necessarily. One such such example I'll cite is comparing an RT to my ST. When I test rode the RT I felt like I was on a dirt bike in terms of it's light feeling compared to my ST. I'm not saying it was bad but it was different not having all that heft to "cruise" down the motorway.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
It sucks being 5' 8" if you ride motorcycles. I found this in the specifications:

. Seat Height 837mm/32.9in - 857mm/33.7in

Even the lower seat height puts me just out of reach of being able to flat foot it. Oh well, I certainly don't need another bike but it would be nice to have the option. Mo' bikes is Mo' betta is my philosophy! :D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It sucks being 5' 8" if you ride motorcycles. I found this in the specifications:

Even the lower seat height puts me just out of reach of being able to flat foot it. Oh well, I certainly don't need another bike but it would be nice to have the option. Mo' bikes is Mo' betta is my philosophy! :D
Don't worry about that too much... the Tenere is listed at 33.26 or 34.25 in and with the seat in the low position I feel more comfortable than the ST when my feet are on the ground.. part of that is the narrower seat and part of that is the lower weight, just feels better. Also, the bike drops a couple inches - or feels like it - as soon as you sit on it...

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Interesting... the MotoDaily story says "the tube-steel frame allows a reasonable 31.6 to 33.7-inch range of seat heights."

Being 5' 7" doesn't help much either. I was at my dealer last evening and sat on all the adventure type bikes they had. I could nearly flat foot the Super Tenere. The Duc Multistrada and KTM 990 Adventure were both tip-toe only affairs. No problems with the KLR. Might be time to consider surgical leg extensions.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Interesting... the MotoDaily story says "the tube-steel frame allows a reasonable 31.6 to 33.7-inch range of seat heights."

Being 5' 7" doesn't help much either. I was at my dealer last evening and sat on all the adventure type bikes they had. I could nearly flat foot the Super Tenere. The Duc Multistrada and KTM 990 Adventure were both tip-toe only affairs. No problems with the KLR. Might be time to consider surgical leg extensions.
The 800 GS and 800 XC were both pretty darn tall for me too... otherwise I'd probably have one of those instead of the Tenre, my test ride just about glued me to the bike after I found it sat that low.

Bike
BMW R1200RT
The 800 GS and 800 XC were both pretty darn tall for me too... otherwise I'd probably have one of those instead of the Tenre, my test ride just about glued me to the bike after I found it sat that low.
Interesting. I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam and also found the Tenere slightly more comfortable than the 800XC, so was leaning toward the Yamaha. But in my case, the higher seat height, the better, but the real issue for me is the seat to peg distance. The closer my knees can be to 90 degrees, the happier they are. Looking forward to the motorcycle shows this winter.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I think it's likely that Triumph plans to sell a shorter seat as an option/accessory like they do with the other Tigers.

Bike
GL1800
I think the Honda is 275 with the manual transmission. 285 is for the DCT .....................if it matters. Whats another twenty extra LBS anyway ...............I am packing that before I ride!

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Sat on the Explorer yesterday at the IMS and it feels about the same height and weight as a GS to me. If it comes in close to the same price as a Super10 it'll throw a monkey wrench into my commitment to the Yamaha....Dam just when I thought I knew what I wanted:confused:

Top Bottom