2023 Iron Butt Rally

Just like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep . . . going, and going, and going.
Enterprise is next then Hay River. If they turn left heading to Yellowknife I'll be absolutely amazed.

Shuey

I have not read all of these IBR posts but I do want to clear up one rule which unless it has been changed since I last rode an IBR 10 years ago. When I put my Indian on a trailer in Syracuse to Ilion where my clutch was worked on, I rode all the way back to Syracuse to where the bike was put on the trailer. At check point, I was told by Mike Kneebone that I only had to ride back 1/2 of the distance. As to the numbered towels, a first place finish was DNF because his towel was left behind and another rider's towel was renumbered. That was the first year of the towels and it was new to everyone.

. . . not Hay River! He/she turned left and heading too . . . Fort Providence? Yellowknife?

Shuey

Definitely a challenge. I'm also watching the rider in Alberta who . . . might . . . be heading . . . the same way!

I can't remember if it was the 2011 or 2013 IBR, but as the Leg 1 bonus list was getting ready to be handed out, Lord Kneebone announced one bonus, told what it was, and that if a rider completed it that would automatically place them in 1st place for the whole rally. All requirements to be at checkpoints or meet any other requirements were all voided. Depart the Start/Finish location, bag the one bonus, and return to the Start/Finish location within the time allotted and your the winner. He waited a minute or two and . . . no one took him up on the offer.

This isn't that, since it's on Leg 3, but I wonder if Yellowknife is really worth enough points! I hope one or both of the riders make it . . . safely, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Leg 3 Bonus list, that's for sure.

Shuey

Last edited:
Lord Kneebone announced one bonus, told what it was, and that if a rider completed it that would automatically place them in 1st place for the whole rally.
Did that mean he would have won that year?
What was said bonus? Ride to Moscow, USSR, and return with a handful of Putin's hair?
Passing through all that beautiful country with no chance to enjoy it will never make sense to me.
A few years ago the IBR's theme was National Parks. Didn't one rider say something like, 'I've been to 50 national parks in the last 11 days and I saw nothing'?

Did that mean he would have won that year?
What was said bonus? Ride to Moscow, USSR, and return with a handful of Putin's hair?

Yes . . . I don't recall what the bonus was, but there was a ferry ride required that only ran once a day which decided against it for me.

Is there a reason for the odd numbers of points? Examples: Coca - 1251; Copa - 1734? Why did they not just offer a bonus of say, 1250 or 1730 points?

Food related bonus in Yellowknife . . . maybe Bullock's Bistro. It's near the Bush Pilots Monument which has been an attended bonus location in a past IBR.

Shuey

Is there a reason for the odd numbers of points? Examples: Coca - 1251; Copa - 1734? Why did they not just offer a bonus of say, 1250 or 1730 points?

I'd guess that algorithms . . . don't care about odd or even numbers.

Shuey

Well, our Yellowknife visitor spent about 5 minutes parked by City Hall and a totem pole. The totem isn't food related, so . . . something else that required a short walk? Still watching to see if they head somewhere else in town before heading back south.

Edit: 10 minutes and still parked at the same place. Must be on a hike.

Edit: Heading back out of town. I browsed around the Civic Center, Sonba K's Civic Plaza and the Sculpture Garden, all interesting, but . . . I didn't see anything food related. It'll just be a mystery until after the IBR is finished.

Shuey

Last edited:
He has been parked in front of Mark's Restaurant in Yellowkinfe, and not far from a Tim Horton's and Super 8 for almost an hour now. Maybe a rest stop? He had been parked for a while at Stanton's Plaza with a Subway and Domino's (Pizza?).

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that darkside is permissible. Do you (@Shuey, @LAron, @Sadlsor, @kendoo) know if any of the points leaders generally ride w/ CT's? Given the longevity of CT's, I would expect more contestants to have at least experimented with these. Were they to shred a car tire in the rally, they could always go back to a mc tire.

He has been parked in front of Mark's Restaurant in Yellowkinfe, and not far from a Tim Horton's and Super 8 for almost an hour now. Maybe a rest stop? He had been parked for a while at Stanton's Plaza with a Subway and Domino's (Pizza?).
Didn't realize how close you could zoom in!
:eek:

Back
Top Bottom