2023 Iron Butt Rally

Adventures in Yellowknife . . . Rider 2 is rolling north with a ways to go and nowhere to sleep until he gets to Yellowknife while Rider 1 hopefully is sleeping soundly.

I look forward to checking on their progress in the morning.

Shuey

I have not read all of these IBR posts but I do want to clear up one rule which unless it has been changed since I last rode an IBR 10 years ago. When I put my Indian on a trailer in Syracuse to Ilion where my clutch was worked on, I rode all the way back to Syracuse to where the bike was put on the trailer. At check point, I was told by Mike Kneebone that I only had to ride back 1/2 of the distance. As to the numbered towels, a first place finish was DNF because his towel was left behind and another rider's towel was renumbered. That was the first year of the towels and it was new to everyone.

I passed your question up the chain to the IBA. Their response is that the bike, after repairs, needs to be returned (ridden or transported) to the place where it's IBR journey was halted.

As to the towel questions: I can't speak for the past, but currently, if a rider looses his flag, they are penalized 5,000 points (I think) and can continue collecting bonuses without it by including themselves in all bonus pictures. Once a bonus is achieved without the flag and the flag is later recovered, the rider cannot revert back to using it and must continue to be in the bonus photos. It's not a DNF. If the minimum points to be a finisher are achieved, they are a Finisher.

As to modifying another rider's towel (changing the number) THAT would be cheating and a DNF. Makes no sense to me why anyone would do that.

Shuey

That was the first year for the towels and the rules were not so straight forward. The two people involved told everyone about it not thinking it was a rule violation. Then there were the towels I heard were put on a Dollywood bonus and the Dollywood employees took them as not appropriate. I think they resolved that one. Unexpected things happen when you are sleep deprived.

Adventures in Yellowknife . . . Rider 2 made it and is sleeping (I expect) at the Days Inn while Rider 1 is rolling and out of town.

It'll be interesting to watch their progress back to Pittsburgh.

Shuey

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that darkside is permissible. Do you (@Shuey, @LAron, @Sadlsor, @kendoo) know if any of the points leaders generally ride w/ CT's? Given the longevity of CT's, I would expect more contestants to have at least experimented with these. Were they to shred a car tire in the rally, they could always go back to a mc tire.
That's a fair question, and one for which I have no answer.
I'll post up on the ldrlist to see what "they" say.

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that darkside is permissible. Do you (@Shuey, @LAron, @Sadlsor, @kendoo) know if any of the points leaders generally ride w/ CT's? Given the longevity of CT's, I would expect more contestants to have at least experimented with these. Were they to shred a car tire in the rally, they could always go back to a mc tire.

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner . . . got tunnel visioned watching the two riders who went to Yellowknife.
Like sadlsor noted, I have no idea which riders are running car tires now. I know that some are, the BMW with the Smart car diesel engine for one has been noted. Pros and cons of riding with one . . . there are other threads for that discussion. As for me, I rode a friends bike with a car tire and thought it was just fine on major highways, but would take some getting used to on the curves. Decided it wasn't for me.

Shuey

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner . . . got tunnel visioned watching the two riders who went to Yellowknife.
IIRC, there is an express clearance for folks who cross the US-Canada border often. It pretty much allows you to drive right thru like an EZPass on the highways. Do you happen to know if many of the riders have this? Does the rally go south of our border into Mexico as well as north?

I've never applied for one, but . . . I know of several riders that have a NEXUS card that allows travelers to cross the border using a special NEXUS designated lane which is usually much faster.

I have no idea which of any current riders in the IBR have one. kendoo or other more recent IBR riders may have a more current answer.

Shuey

I've never applied for one, but . . . I know of several riders that have a NEXUS card...
That's the one. I'd think it is mandatory if you are in a rally and on the clock. Talk about sweating a ferry's schedule. How about a frosty customs agent who has never heard of IBR and could care less how long it takes to search your bike for contraband.

Rider on IBR in need of help if anyone local can help ? Copied off IBA facebook page

IBR rider Jim Abbott needs help. He's just east of Rock Springs, WY with two flat tires. Rear wheel very bent, front wheel less so from pothole encounter. 2012 ST1300. He's waiting for a tow but could use at least one wheel to swap. Time is critical. If you can help NOW, please call him at 603 851 4238.

From the pictures from the start it looked like past winner Mike Brooke on the Habusa was running a car tire on the rear.

Any update on Jim?
I don't even find the shoutout on the list...
ldrider@ibdone.org
I cross-posted Post #154 on the ibdone / ldr list, and none other than the esteemed Rally Mistress (Lisa Landry) replied 25 minutes ago as I post again:

"He's got a plan. Thanks for checking."

Wow. Lisa emailed me, and I'm not even in the Rally!

I cross-posted Post #154 on the ibdone / ldr list, and none other than the esteemed Rally Mistress (Lisa Landry) replied 25 minutes ago as I post again:

"He's got a plan. Thanks for checking."

Wow. Lisa emailed me, and I'm not even in the Rally!
Glad to hear Jim has a plan. If there was time to ship I would pull my wheels and send them.

Glad to hear Jim has a plan. If there was time to ship I would pull my wheels and send them.
Just read on Ibr, someone from sto Utah drove 500 miles with wheels and tires for Jim and he is back on the road. Glad to hear someone was close enough to help in time. Hats off to the rider from utah..

Back
Top Bottom