40 Amp questions, please help

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100 non abs
Dayton Quality Starter 937-277-8371, its an Auto Electric business that specializes in starters and alternators. I have used them for generators , alternators and starters. A++ Thanks Mike

Bike
ST1100
Bigin886,I intend raising the bike onto a work bench this coming weekend and then starting to dismantle it when I have time.I,m in no great hurry as its my second st.I intend selling it in the early summer to finance a trip myself and a few friends intend taking to mainland Europe next september.I,m leaning towards putting a new altenator in it,changing the Tbelt and powder coating thw swing arm and any other bits that need doing as this should increase the resale value.It already has new heated grips and a new starter relay.I wouldnt be able to do the powder coating myself so I,ll have to get it done elsewhere.

Sofawizard..I was thinking restricting the airflow might not be ideal,I,ll have a look at the options when I,m dismantleing..

Pat

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
yes i am but still more to do ah the joys of finding faults as you go i supose itll run like a watch when im done and hopefully ill have working abs another wee job got the code just need top do the work only the rear sensor or wiring shouldnt be to bad if i can get the dam thing off the diff without breaking the casing

Bike
ST1100
Bigin886...I send email to Dayton Quality Starter to see if they could help me out.They replied to say they had nothing in stock but they sent me the part number.I entered the part number and was directed to another forum.A fella here in Ireland with the same problem as myself (outer casing split,otherwise ok) sourced an altenator from a Bandit 600 switched the casing,installed new bearings and away he went.I have a bandit unit on its way to me courtsy of Mr Ebay germany,The seller lives about 100 miles from me in Ireland.... And the cost of the unit ??????? 34 euro delivered.Hope fully it will work,starting to work on it soon.

Sofa....There,s talk of a few of us heading to Scotland later in the year for a few days,we,ll probably head up into the Highlands although I,d love to cross the Forth Bridge on the bike.Have done it many times in the car but never on a bike.

Pat

although I,d love to cross the Forth Bridge on the bike.Have done it many times in the car but never on a bike.

Pat
Scotland is fabulous motorcycling country. Can't remember if it's the Tay or Forth Bridge which has metal grilles right next to the carriageway, but I found being able to see the water far below a trifle unnerving! Hope Bandit casing swap goes OK

Bike
ST1100
Scotland is fabulous motorcycling country. Can't remember if it's the Tay or Forth Bridge which has metal grilles right next to the carriageway, but I found being able to see the water far below a trifle unnerving! Hope Bandit casing swap goes OK
The Bandit casing didn,t work but I managed to find an alternator in a breakers yard in England.The man in the breakers yard is coming to Ireland in 2 weeks and will bring it with him.I,m getting the swing arm refurbished at the moment

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Can't remember if it's the Tay or Forth Bridge which has metal grilles right next to the carriageway
It is the Forth Bridge that has this feature, I have been across this bridge on numerous occasions and I suppose take the views for granted. I have to agree, Scotland is beautiful for motorcycling , I would love to spend some time south of the border as there are some really good roads there as well. Wales is one place I have never been on my bike.

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
ive taken the bike south a few times the long drag south dose nothing for me but hey maybe 1 day ill nip down to wales on the bike ya never can tell

fearmor i found a site last night that sells the casing and many parts of the alternator http://www.hondascooterspares.co.uk/spares/epc2.asp?ModelID=2266&pageID=e12&m=HONDA+ST1100AW+PAN+EUROPEAN+GENERATOR+(ST1100T/V/W/AT/AV/AW)&uid=0 hope ive got this correct
I think you will find the the only part you can't buy is the casing. The link you gave has no Parts Diagram. If you go to http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MAJS41&block_02=E__1201&block_03=4723 you will see that in the parts diagram the only parts that don't have a ref no are the casing halfs.

sofawizard,,where did you source your altenator?? Dave Silver is 525 pounds stirling + shipping to Ireland !!!
Try some of the US suppliers http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1996/ST1100+A/ALTERNATOR+96-98/parts.html $400 which is about ?250 or 300 Euro. You can expect to pay about ?40 - ?45 shipping plus import VAT charged on price of (goods + shipping) + about ?10 administration fee to PO. Still works out a lot cheaper. (I'm not sure how imports from US are dealt with in Souhtern Ireland but in the North we always get charged the VAT) We often buy parts for our quads from the US and they always work out a lot cheaper than UK sources.

Bike
ST1100
Rossi46...thanks for the link, I have a used alternator on its way from England,I paid way more than the price listed on the link you sent on but I,m sure someone else on the forum will find it useful.The unit I bought was the only one listed on Ebay and I didn,t want to wait in case someone else wanted it as well.If your ever down in this direction let me know and we,ll have a cuppa.

Sofawizard...Are you getting any work done on putting the bike back together.I see the weather is a bit rough your way.

Pat

Bike
st1100
hi there any you nice guys tell me where i can get the 40 amp alternator for my pan can,t believe prices new and second hand .

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
hi guys weathers put me to astop but..... i have a few days holiday shortly so ive decided to do the rebuild then fingers crossed in 14 days or less she will fire for the first time in 2013!

Top Bottom