ABS II problems,(yes another one)

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Bummer, it was looking promising for that unit.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100AW
thats just weird, mine is still working fine 6 months and 2000 miles later,
i did have to set a much wider air gap than the stock unit (about 1.5mm)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Somewhere in the back of my memory I was thinking the European ABSII version was slightly different than the US version. I could have a faulty memory, though. It would interesting to know if the part number for the rear sensor is the same for the European and U.S. versions.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Here's the part # for the US version: SENSOR, RR. 38510-MAJ-781

With the Honeywell, I had set the air gap at spec. Maybe I should'a tried it a little higher. Still can do, easy enuff to wire it up again.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100AW
Thats the same part number my parts fiche throws up, i will check with honda tomorrow,
I think the problem lies with the air gap, if you hook up a voltmeter to the signal wire you should see voltage being pulled down as the tooth passes the sensor
gap isnt critical but worked out at about 1.55mm according to the feeler gauges i just stuck in the gap

Bike
ST1100AX '99
STOC #
Now that I've thought about it, maybe across the pond the traction control option is not called TCS but something else. It may just be a nomenclature thing and not a functional difference.
I dont know about UK but in Italy it is also called TCS.
I am wondering if it is possible to have the 2 letters with the model; mine is a Pan1100AX (for a '99 with ABS/TCS) These letters can help to find the good path to find the good parts
Just my 2 cents.

Edit; I just see the model is a Pan1100AW. AW is not ''suppose'' to be approximative information. However, if the machine was modified... more difficult to track parts.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Broc, there's a secondary fuse box above the main,dedicated to abs. I don't recall which to pull specifically but there's a label on the lid.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'm wondering can the entire abs be removed or has this been done before.
What about the legal issues in your area with that?
IIRC: if ABS is aboard/the vehicle came equipped/was homologated with it by the MFG, it has to be functional, otherwise no MOT approval...

I'd roam Ebay/local breakers for the modulator in question and/or seek to get that thing repaired/revived...
I recall some reports/instructions/info to be found here and on other sites on how to get the bugger disassembled and fixed.
One local workshop got one operational again by soaking/filling it with WD40 and putting it into an ultrasonic cleaner for some time.
IIRC-II do especially the rear modulators suffer from the salty road-wash during winter use... more frequent rinse and application of corrosion protective solvents are considered as life-prolonging measures...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The Honda dealers said it was just a common fault in the rear modulator...
If it would be so 'common' all my riding buddies/acquaintances would have been all over me...
One '96 had a random error several workshops where not able to circle down... turned out that one(!) pin in the big connector to the ABS mains-unit was bend...

'Common' is/was that folks wanted to save some bucks, going to backyard tire shops, where the monkey frequently banged the sensor ring into the rear pick-up...
(IIRC the Honda manuals says to remove that sensor and tape/stow it safely before removal of wheels...)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...not to be confused with the sensor that reads the ring on the rear hub...
I'm aware of the differences there ;-) It was only mentioned to point out that over here the wheel sensors are more prone to damage then the modulators...

Joining the Pan-European/ST internet-community I'd observed those modulator failures almost exclusively on UK based bikes and/or areas with similar mild winter climate and/or bikes with a hack/side-car enabling winter use... same with rotten swing-arms and collector boxes BTW...
Followed by bikes which were parked outside year round... the '94 I've here had suffered rotted muffler-stubs due such, but the swing-arm is perfectly fine since the PO did not ride in the winter (only let the poor mount suffer outside exposed to the elements...)
So I do see some connection with winter, humidity and salt dawning...

Found two rear modulators on Ebay, apparently sold by Dutch brakers:
http://www.ebay.at/itm/Honda-ST1100-A-ABS-Pumpe-hinten-abs-pump-rear-abs-pomp-abs-modulator-achterkant-/150914921404?pt=DE_Motorradteile&hash=item23233af3bc

http://www.ebay.at/itm/Honda-ST1100-ABS-TCS-Pan-European-SC26-Modulator-ABS-hinten-/310829881154?pt=DE_Motorradteile&hash=item485ee79742

Ebay.uk might even have a wider selection on vendors there, probably better prices too...

Top Bottom