Best tires for ST1300

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I had the opposite effect with those Tiger Paws. I had a noticeable annoying vibration in my half ton and once my mechanic saw those tires, he said "change them". The problem went away. :)

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Why would that matter?
Have you ever mounted the Bridgestones? I mean you, not a dealer. You will understand that question. They are by far the most difficult I have ever mounted. Michelin PR's are much easier. Even if the Stones lasted longer, I would still not buy them as I do my own tire changes. They are that difficult. I have heard that the Road Smarts are close to the Stones in mounting.

Have you ever mounted the Bridgestones? I mean you, not a dealer. You will understand that question.
You missed my other post[1].
I've been installing tires on my bikes ... dirt bikes, street bikes, STs, Gold Wing, for about 50 years now.

I just recently yanked a [rear] T31 and installed an OEM BT020. Took about three minutes to install the 020. It's all about using the proper tools and proper technique. The "first" bead takes a whole 10 seconds (if that long) - it's the 2nd bead that takes time. Front tire - both beads at once.

[1] https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/best-all-around-tires-for-st1300.172744/post-2240886

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
You missed my other post[1].
I've been installing tires on my bikes ... dirt bikes, street bikes, STs, Gold Wing, for about 50 years now.

I just recently yanked a [rear] T31 and installed an OEM BT020. Took about three minutes to install the 020. It's all about using the proper tools and proper technique. The "first" bead takes a whole 10 seconds (if that long) - it's the 2nd bead that takes time. Front tire - both beads at once.

[1] https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/best-all-around-tires-for-st1300.172744/post-2240886
I guess my No-Mar is not the proper tool then. The tire in question I was mounting was a Battlax on another members bike who was helping. Not my first time mounting tires either. Glad you have the proper technique. For me, I will stay with Michelin.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Curious - "changer" (machine) or "demount bar"?
It is the "Classic" Mounted to the floor of the garage. Have all the "gadgets" to assist and or get in the way accessories. I am not the only one that has mentioned the Battlax Stones are a very stiff tire and tough to mount.

I know this is an old thread...poor tire contact response is cupping. Can be caused by suspension adjustments / tire pressure /shock condition and imbalance in any combination. Taking the front and rear pressure up 1-2 psi and playing with spring rate / dampening along with a good dynamic balance(not a bubble stand ) can all help to reduce the effect. Hope this helps someone.

I guess my No-Mar is not the proper tool then. The tire in question I was mounting was a Battlax on another members bike who was helping. Not my first time mounting tires either. Glad you have the proper technique. For me, I will stay with Michelin.
I have worked at many bike shops over the years and some tires are definitely harder than others/if you are able to set the tire out in the sun for a while or pour hot water on it before mounting that usually helps

Way too soon to tell... less than 500 miles on new ones. There ought to be a "Tires NOT recommended on an ST1300 because..." (mileage, grip, braking, vibration, etc.) thread. THOSE would be the tires I want to know about!

I have been running road smart 2’s and like the tires but agree that they are hard to mount. Will be mounting road smart 3’s this weekend.

Bike
04 ST1300
I have been running road smart 2’s and like the tires but agree that they are hard to mount. Will be mounting road smart 3’s this weekend.
I have road smart II's right now with 20K on both front and back. I will be changing them shortly this year. Thinking about staying with them. Really like them.

I have road smart II's right now with 20K on both front and back. I will be changing them shortly this year. Thinking about staying with them. Really like them.
Geez ... I've just gotten my first ST but I've pretty much always had a biggy touring bike in the fleet. I have never gotten anywhere near 20,000 miles on a tire. I've also never used a RoadSmart. Is that kind of mileage normal? Is it the tire _ is it the bike _ is it a riding style thing?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I started using Bridgestone's in 1991 on GL1000's. They felt good, lasted well and I never had a flat with one (more of a function of chance rather than any design weakness). I have continued the habit with our 1991 and 2006....both of which have new T31's.
Habit seems to be my only justification for sticking with BS tires.

Yesterday I went for a ride in the rain, on purpose. Very impressed with the weather proofing of the ST, as you all likely new. Still, I wanted to know for myself because a lot of rides run up into Oregon and the Sierra Mountains. We have had some big rain storms here this past week and the roads have a lot of mini-mud-slides. Even in "normal" times we get months of loose dirt in between the tire tracks at the apex of the curves. So at any sort of quick space you end up crossing that strip. That is all to say that on my other street bikes for the last few years I have been running on 90/10 Avon tires. I'll probably go with the new Avon Spirit ST units. They have the same construction as the ones I use now and hopefully they'll get me a round trip to Cape Canaveral.
Still, anyone using big block tread tires on their ST?

Top Bottom