Bike Lifting after drop

But sometimes the GPS takes you where you don't want to go and you end up in a big rut on a mountain side ... or at least that's what I've been told! :biggrin:
Yup that's true about the GPS thing. The situation I envision wouldn't make a good adventure story. More like a wide spot along side a back road that seems like a good place to take a leak. ;)

I dropped my ST1100 twice, once while pushing it in the garage (the side stand got partially folded) and once with my girlfriend on the back in a parking lot, I started out trying the method of my backside to the seat and grabbing the bars and the grab handle, but my butt gets in the way every time as I end up pulling myself into the top of the seat.
So I turned around both times, and tipped it up facing the bike. I probably needed more oomph! to get the bike up that way. But I'm not going to tip my bike over on purpose just to practice.

My problem is when she does go over, it's usually because there is gravel underfoot and my foot slipped out unexpectedly.
So you can't get any good footing to use your legs.
And the bike is further over with the handlebar sitting on the ground because it is on an incline ... ;)

Raymond, that's great... now hold it right there a minute.
Perfect.
Just a second while I get it focused... you got it?
Almost there... good.
Now look this way, and... smile!

2.jpg
[/QUOTE]
If there was sound that is right when you could hear the popping noises coming from somewhere deep within.

Always ride with friends. Younger and stronger than you preferred.

There's never a 12yo girl around when you need one to pick up your ST. That's because she's righting 'Wings. I've had picked up my ST twice and Raymond doesn't make it look a bit easy. I was groaning looking at every pic.

I picked mine up after a V E R Y slow speed wipe out on a deeply rutted dry dirt road. Certainly tough to do, but pain can give one super human strength!

I dropped the RT at a gas station on my way to the GA Rally.

I filled up and then pulled off to the side to take off a few layers since it was warming up. After I got back on the bike I started to move and killed the engine and it just started leaning to the right... at some point my brain just said "plastic is cheaper than broken bones" so I let it go. Some scraping on the rear crash bar, a little scuff on the mirror and that's about it... was pretty easy to get back up, easier than when I dropped the Tracer in the mud... lol

Was perusing ADVrider, and here's a video of a mudslide slipping fall, where the rider uses a mechanical device as has been mentioned.
He first falls on the left side at the 16-minute mark in the mudhole, carefully positions the GoPro to record his extrication, and then promptly drops it on the right side as he's almost out. That's where he uses the leverage stowed in his pannier.
Looks like he's riding by himself out there on a Triumph Tiger 900, in the Tennessee Dirt Devil area.
Thirty four minutes but you don't have to watch it all. First fall at 16 minutes, begins the assisted pickup at 23 minutes.
And after all that work, he muscles the big bike out of the mud, and I'm thinking "why not start the durn thing and let it pull itself out while you walk beside it?"
But who am I to judge?

Almost didn't make it out

I dropped the RT at a gas station on my way to the GA Rally.

I filled up and then pulled off to the side to take off a few layers since it was warming up. After I got back on the bike I started to move and killed the engine and it just started leaning to the right... at some point my brain just said "plastic is cheaper than broken bones" so I let it go. Some scraping on the rear crash bar, a little scuff on the mirror and that's about it... was pretty easy to get back up, easier than when I dropped the Tracer in the mud... lol
Those crash bars seemed like they saved your bacon. That's always been one of my pet peeves. A large heavy bike should have crash/ tip over bars as standard equipment. On the RT sure the plastic but the engine "jugs" can also be expensive to replace.

I have never been able to lift my st1100 pushing by back, but easily done it facing to bike. So I decided to repeat weight lifting in the workshop on the soft rug and recorded it)

Those crash bars seemed like they saved your bacon. That's always been one of my pet peeves. A large heavy bike should have crash/ tip over bars as standard equipment. On the RT sure the plastic but the engine "jugs" can also be expensive to replace.
Well, there's tip-overs and there's crashes.

I have some aftermarket head covers and saddlebag bars.. For tip-overs that's good enough and did work well to save the valve covers from being scratches and the rear bars definitely saved the saddlebags.

I didn't get the front bars on the RT mostly due to not liking how they look but also not sure I want them in an actual crash. Every incident is different and any kind of bars could just as easily cause issue TO ME while trying to protect the bike and at that point I could care less about the bike.

I had my foot almost twisted on both the Wing and ST1300 once when my foot came off the pegs in an intersection turn and touched the ground then caused my boot/foot to move back and tough the rear bars...

For small tip-overs they are fine and do help keep from replacing expensive plastic. I do wish they were more integrated from the factory and were more hidden like the ST, Wins and K1600 front protection and similar to the Wings rear bars.

I have never been able to lift my st1100 pushing by back, but easily done it facing to bike. So I decided to repeat weight lifting in the workshop on the soft rug and recorded it)
That's because you actually used your legs on the 2nd try... On the first try, you don't really lift the bike, you just push with your legs/butt backwards and just hold on to the bikes' brake and pass handle. That is better for your lower back and you'll appreciate that in 20 more years. lol

Back
Top Bottom