Bike Lifting after drop

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Tried many times without success) Maybe I need to go to gym, do squats and get some strength in legs)
In your video.. you're trying to squat and use your legs like a squat.. that's too much work..

Don't bend at 90 degrees... extend your legs a little more then just push back against the seat and take small steps walking backwards.. the bike just goes up much easier than trying to 'lift' it.

in this pic Raymond has a look on his face that suggests he's working hard but he was just playing around:

The problem with facing the bike is you risk your lower back and you could loose fitting and hit your face on the bike and possibly cause more harm. Well, depending on what your face looked like when you started ... :rofl1:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have never been able to lift my st1100 pushing by back, but easily done it facing to bike. So I decided to repeat weight lifting in the workshop on the soft rug and recorded it)
Thanks for the video. It gives us something to discuss. I think if you would try having your back a lot more over the seat while leaning back, just like you do when you forward lift the bike, it might work. You will have to bend those knees a bunch more. Even in Mellow's pictures above you can see I tried to keep my back as vertical as possible during the lifting process. Lift with the legs only to save the back.

But the first thing you should always do when lifting the bike from the RIGHT side is drop the kick stand. This lowers the chances of picking up the bike twice 99%.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have never been able to lift my st1100 pushing by back, but easily done it facing to bike. So I decided to repeat weight lifting in the workshop on the soft rug and recorded it)
When you were facing the motorcycle you didn't try to lift it. You pushed horizontally against it rotating it on to its wheels.
When you were backwards you were trying to lift the motorcycle. That will never work. You have to push backwards against it and push it horizontally over on to its wheels, not try to lift it.

Try applying the same direction of force when you are backwards as you did when you were facing the motorcycle and it will be easier.

Bike
ST1100
Try applying the same direction of force
thanks for advices. Maybe this is the issue. But when I tried to push motorcycle horizontally "sitting" on the seat (placing bum over it) I didn't have enough traction of my feet even on concrete floor, not talking of grass or gravel...
Need to practice this exercise more, maybe ill find best posture for that)

thanks for advices. Maybe this is the issue. But when I tried to push motorcycle horizontally "sitting" on the seat (placing bum over it) I didn't have enough traction of my feet even on concrete floor, not talking of grass or gravel...
Need to practice this exercise more, maybe ill find best posture for that)
Takes practice !!

I rolled the ST and Gold Wing to that grassy area circled, and gently laid them down. Then practiced the "sdrawkcab lift" many times, till I felt confident and with reduced physical effort.

I purposefully avoided doing it on concrete, cause I wanted a bit more of a challenge ... and if you can do it on the dirt, the concrete would be easier.

1682616386462.png

Thanks to all that posted...I've dropped my ST1300 twice. Both times a slow drop when I got over balanced. My wife helped once and a passerby helped the other time. Quick work with help. Now I have several options when alone.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
But when I tried to push motorcycle horizontally "sitting" on the seat (placing bum over it)
When you try it again, instead of sitting on the seat try pushing the lower part of your back/upper part of your bum against the seat to force the motorcycle to move horizontally.
As for the traction, I can't help you with that. The force needed to do this in most circumstances on most surfaces should not exceed the limit of the traction available.

Bike
2009 ST 1300PA
On the subject of a jack or lift, has anyone tried something like a trailer jack lift, using a strap on the rear tip over bars? I have lifted the 1300 with a strap on the rear tip over bars with a hoist, and the trailer jack at 1 ton would handle the load. Something like the harbor freight 1 ton , which weights 10 lbs and would fit in the side bags. An old style bumper jack would be better, but I can't find anything that is short enough to store in the saddlebags (but I considered cutting one off to fit in the bags). The other option would be to store it secured on the rear luggage rack - should be ok size and weight wise.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I learned all the shown situations are in ideal conditions. Dropped mine and went down once in Alaska....not ideal conditions, mud, snow, ice uneven surfaces. The only thing that worked was manpower.
Funny how you seldom drop one on level, clean ground.
If it's level and clean, chances are you won't drop it! ;)

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I came close to dropping my '96 at this past OH-STOC. Going to Campbell's grocery store in downtown McArthur, the GPS directed me to take Infirmary Rd. It started as gravel, which doesn't bother me, but quickly deteriorated into hard-packed dirt covered in rounded rocks.

I was worried. As I carefully slowed to a stop, the bike constantly shifted back and forth as I could hear the individual rocks go "Ping! Ping! Ping!" as they shot out from under the tires. It took me about five minutes of concentrating on keeping the bike upright as I slowly turned around.

I managed to make my way back toward the paved road, and I could feel the traction improving as the road turned back into gravel, where I could finally put my feet back on the pegs. If I had dropped the bike where I was, with no cellular service, I would have been there forever.

Rt. 14 here:

Last edited:
Top Bottom