Bike won't start - Updated 17 Oct 18

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Out of the blue, went to ride to work night before last, all geared up, astride, hit the starter and motor turns over but no hint of firing. Tried three times before I gave up and switched to the truck. Same thing yesterday and again today after hoping (I know...insanity) that I was just dreaming and all would be well again after another sunrise or two.

I don't recall my 1300A ever doing this in 11 years and over 80K miles...if it turned over, it started. Was on a tender and new (this year) battery, turns over strong, so it's not that. I have the service manual and it says the standard 'check plugs, etc' but wanted to ask here if anyone had ever had anything like that happen. Last ridden, without any problems, just a week and a half ago and now, nothing but starter.

The only issues I've had have been a knock sensor code while riding, which results in an RPM drop but bike still goes down the road, and it reset overnight. Hit or miss as to when it happened while riding; I couldn't establish a pattern related to heat or duration. And last season, a spontaneous shutdown while on the move, which also reset after cycling the key with the clutch pulled in...hasn't happened again.

The knock sensor was a 25 code (right sensor, assuming my correction on page 5-14 is accurate) and I just got a 12 code (#1 injector connector) when I tried to start the bike today, so I guess I'll start there. That's going to be getting pretty deep into the bike, so this may not be a quick fix after all.

I'll dig into it later when I'm not on night shift, but wondered what others have found, or might suggest, as easy first checks before digging too deep into other potential problems after the same non-start situation. Apologies for not searching for previous threads just yet before submitting; if they're out there, I'll find them, just not this week.

Thanks!

12 Sep 2018 update: Appreciate all the words and suggestions below. For those possibly with a similar problem, I quickly ruled out the kill switch, side stand switch, neutral switch, and battery as the engine cranks over (or doesn't) based on all of those being in the proper (or improper) positions. Also ruled out any furry creatures having lunch on my wiring.

The FI light wasn't going out after turning on (and was flashing the code 12 for a #1 Fuel Injector failure) and I couldn't hear the fuel pump so focused there. First step in the manual is to check for power to the Brown and Green (Br/G) wire pair at the fuel pump connector. Should be battery voltage, and was zero.

The next things the manual says to check are (in order):

Main 30A fuse (figured if this was blown, nothing else would be happening so pretty sure it's good)
Sub 10A fuse (again, didn't dig for this as I still hadn't verified that the fuel pump would operate given applied battery voltage and things seemed to be working electrically otherwise)
Engine Stop Switch (motor won't turn over if the stop switch is off, and does when it's on, so ruled that out)
Fuel Cut-off Relay: This is located on the left side aft of the lift handle (under the left side cover). Pulled it and applied voltage to the correct terminals to verify relay 'click'. Checked terminal resistance and it seems to be in working order. So it is not getting battery voltage and thus not supplying power to the fuel pump connector.

Since I hadn't yet heard the fuel pump to rule it in or out, I jumped the relay terminals (simulating battery voltage applied) and lo and behold, the fuel pump spins...and spins and spins and spins...as long as the jumper is in. That tells me it's the signal to the relay carried on the Brown/Black (Br/B) wire that's causing a problem, which, according to the wiring diagram, goes directly back to the ECM. Interestingly enough, the ECM is the last step in the process for getting the fuel pump to run, after the Engine Stop Relay and Bank Angle Sensor, neither of which at this point are suspect.

While I'm relieved that I don't have to pull the fuel pump just yet, I'm at a crossroad as to what to do about the ECM. Are there 'test' parts available before having to lay down the $$$s for a new one that could rule it in or out as the problem? Haven't looked on the site here for availability so just throwing it out there while thinking out loud and contemplating the next step. A quick Google search shows they're available for anywhere S of $400. Not sure whether it's a serviceable item either. I do see that it was updated in 2008 and the new ones aren't backward compatible.

I also read that there have been problems with the knock sensors, and mine was throwing a code 25 (Rt Knock Sensor, corrected from Lt printing error in the manual) for awhile prior to the non-start event, so maybe that's ECM related as well. I haven't looked at either of the knock sensors yet, but may as well while the bike is down anyway. Will update when I get eyes on those and check them out as well.

Appreciate any input as to options from here!

19 Sep 2018 update: Finally got a chance to get a little further into this problem. Managed to find the 14-pin (of only 13 are used) connector (gray, circular) behind the coolant overflow reservoir. The injector pins (P/Bu - #1, R/Y - #2, P/G - #3, P/Bl - #4) all live in a circular order after the Bl/W power pin that is common to them all. The service manual says there should be 11.1 to 12.3 ohms between each respective terminal and the power pin. Once I found a wire small enough to make contact with the terminals, lo and behold, #2, #3, and #4 all fall right at 12 ohms. Unlucky #1 is at 3-6 ohms over several (hopeful) measurements. So it looks like I'm going in deep to get to Injector #1 and the ECU seems to know what it's talking about.

Thanks for the hint to look for this connector! I was hopeful it wasn't an injector, but to be honest, I think replacing that, if it fixes the problem, will be a lot simpler than trying to trace, and fix, a bad ground or power continuity somewhere in the harness. At least I've been into the area below the airbox before...just haven't had to work on the throttle body. But, no fear...with the help here, the service manual, and a little magic dance in the garage when turning the key after replacing it, hopefully all will end well!

ST1300 - 14pin subharness connector.jpgST1300 - 14pin subharness connector with injector wires labeled.jpg

While I have the plastic off, I checked the Knock Sensors (have gotten a 25 code before) but they both looked undamaged (some have mentioned heat damage to the connector) so I plan to leave them for now. Also removed the radiator and drained the coolant. I've never had any problem with steady 3-bar temps so don't suspect a stuck thermostat, just haven't done too much with the coolant so figured it was probably time. There was some crud in the otherwise dry (yes, I know...) overflow reservoir, so managed to knock some of that loose by putting ice chips in there to get it off the walls so I can hopefully not recirculate it. Didn't see any of the black paint residue others have noted. I plan to replace the fluid with Honda Type II as has been mentioned on other threads.

I may also work on my GPS mount since I'll pretty much have the bike torn down to the point that I can run the wiring harness. We'll see. I would like to ride some yet this fall while the weather is nice, so maybe that will get done, maybe I'll leave it for a winter project and just get things up and running again. Will update here when I've gotten to the throttle body and injector.

5 Oct 2018 update: Finally got around to draining the tank and I think I've found at least part of the problem if not all of it! My apologies to st1100y2k who suggested this problem earlier. I've caught the occasional house mouse in the garage, but didn't think they were setting up residence on my ride! I'll be getting a sub-harness and will update again when that arrives and is installed. Meanwhile, thanks for all the suggestions; sometimes you have to get into the bike a ways to see all the possibilities. <sigh>

I'm surprised it ran as good as it did for as long as it did. I'm hopeful there is a marked increase in performance after everything is back together!

Throttle Body nest (1).jpgThrottle Body nest (2).jpgInjector Subharness damage.jpg

17 Oct 2018 update: Threaded out the old harness and threaded in the new today...heard the satisfying sound of the fuel pump charging as soon as power was applied, and it started right up! The FI light is acting normal after giving nine long blinks on the first power up. Everything back together except for the exterior plastic, which needs a good cleaning before it goes back on.

Extracted Injector Subharness.jpgAir Filters.jpg

Don't let your air filter get this bad! I hope my mileage improves back to the 46 I normally get on the highway, it had been down to 42 or so prior to this stoppage.

Thanks for all the input and assistance getting to the bottom of this non-start issue...I should be back riding by tomorrow!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gus1300

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Hmmm...good point. Can't say as I'd recognize it from before, but there's definitely no sound when turning the key to run anymore. I seem to recall there being at least something there prior. Great...more things to look at! (thanks for the pointers...would have hated to get beneath the tank only to find the problem was somewhere else!)

Time for bed for today...I'll check back later for more ideas and provide feedback as I go through the repair process.

Yet another reason I enjoy this site; even though I don't post much, I read here A LOT.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
The FI light should come on briefly when you turn the key switch on and the kill switch off (fuel pump pressurizing tank). Spray your kill switch with some plastic safe contact cleaner. Check your wiring to your side stand switch. Is your neutral light working? Clutch switch? I would also check the battery voltage even though it's new. Lot's of problems with shorting cells and new batteries.

Last edited:
Bike
05 st1300
STOC #
Same thing happened to me......I posted here...within 5 minutes got a reply. "you have a mouse" Sure enough...pack rat had eaten my wiring. Check under the airbox. For me it was about a 70 dollar fix.

OP
OP
Gus1300

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Thanks! I'll take a look at that thread/connector. What it looks like now though is that the Fuel Cut-off Relay isn't closing due to the incoming voltage to it from the ECM (verified it works when removed, and the fuel pump works when jumped). Turning over the engine with the relay jumped and the fuel pump working still doesn't start the bike, so unfortunately I don't think it's just the pump. But that probably points to the return path you allude to; I'll see what I can figure out with that in mind. Appreciate the pointer!

Update:

Verified I have batt voltage on both black/white wires into the Fuel Cut-off Relay, which tells me the signal from the Bank Angle Sensor and everything ahead of it is working as designed. Going back to the relay itself, I thought I verified the closed resistance last night (sort of difficult with four loose wires and only two hands!) vs just hearing the click when voltage is applied. So thinking if I jumped both sets of wires to the FCR connector (incoming induction loop plus fuel pump loop) it should simulate a functioning relay. Did that, and get a constantly running fuel pump (same as if just the fuel pump loop was jumped) and still Code 12. But with the relay installed, the fuel pump doesn't run. That suggests that the problem rests with the brown/black wire out of the relay coil, and from the schematic that leads to the ECM only (suggesting the ECM pulls it low when warranted). Without knowing the ECM logic that causes that condition to be met, that's probably a dead end. The other thing that points to an additional problem is that even with the fuel pump running, the bike won't start.

Starting down that path, the black/white wires are common to the ignition coils, so if they have power at the FCR connector, I'm assuming they have power at the ignition connectors as well but haven't verified that. Haven't tracked down the return side of that circuit/loop yet though.

Reverified that the bike cranks as designed:

In neutral, with light - cranks
In gear, clutch pulled - cranks
In gear, clutch released - doesn't crank

Still need to look at how the suggested yellow connector behind the headlight fits in the mix. Continuing the saga...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gus1300

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Tracking all of the above...right now it looks like the power to the fuel cut off relay is not being pulled low by the ECU, as you stated is the way it functions. And aside from the fuel pump not running, something additional is not allowing the bike to start when it is running by being jumped vs pulled low from the ECU, probably within the ECU logic that sets the fuel cut off relay low condition in the first place.

The service connector has 12v, which is from the Bank Angle Sensor too, so again, everything on that same path has 12v as well (fuel injectors, coils, power side of fuel cutoff relay). Still looking...

Last edited:

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Appreciate any input as to options from here!
The Fuel cut relay has two BL/W wires. They are energized by the Bank Angle Sensor Relay in the same area. When the key is on there should be full battery voltage there. If no or low voltage is present there check the BL/W and BL/P wires at the Bank Angle Sensor Relay. Let me know what the result is. You can PM me for additional support.

Chuck

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have had a couple of issues with my bikes starting after sitting for a few weeks. The last time was my commuter ST1300 where it would crank, but just wouldn't start. I had the similar thing happen with my 2010. Both times, I just kept cranking them and after a very long time, I would get a them to start, then die. So I kept cranking. Seems like one cylinder would fire, then I got two, then three and finally all four were firing once again. This last time, it was over a period of several days. I would go out and crank it, then put the battery on the charger and then the next day, do the same. and with each day I made some head way, like I said one cylinder, then two, etc.

I didn't have any codes thrown, so this might not be related to what you are experiencing, but just one more thing to try?

So, the next time that happens to me, I'll pull up the tank, remove the top of the air cleaner box, then shoot some starter fluid in there to see what happens.

OP
OP
Gus1300

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Thanks Chuck. Power at both Bl/W wires at the fuel cutoff relay, switched on/off as appropriate with the engine cutoff switch.

Supra - I usually ride heavily to work only on nights and weekends, so the bike sits a lot during day shift and swings (two weeks straight). Not that what you suggest can't be the problem, but I've never had a fail to start if it cranked. Have had slow/low cranks where the trip meter and clock reset due to low battery voltage on an aged battery, but I don't think that is the case this time. New (this year) battery and has been on a tender since having the problem due to the repeated start attempts while troubleshooting. But I will keep it in mind. Just don't want to overstress the starter trying to get things to fire when the pump isn't coming on yet...need to fix that issue first.

Last edited:

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks Chuck. Power at both Bl/W wires at the fuel cutoff relay, switched on/off as appropriate with the engine cutoff switch.
I missed your most recent post. You are correct the BR/BL wire at the fuel cut relay controls the relay when the ECM goes low. Since you have a functioning ECM (FI light comes on) and it is pointing to the Injectors (FI code 12) I would look first at the BL/W wires at the injectors. The ECM appears to not be sensing a completed circuit from the injectors to the ECM. It would be unlikely to see all four of the injectors or their leads to the ECM fail simultaneously but they are all powered off the same BL/W circuit.

OP
OP
Gus1300

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
...which might speak to the mouse in the house problem mentioned earlier (and several places on the website). I don't suppose there is an easier way to get to the injector connector than through the 'chest' (tank, air intake body and funnels, fuel rail, etc)?

I've been in there before when I installed the cruise control shortly after buying the bike but never drained the coolant (didn't remove the throttle body). The manual says that's one of the first steps, so I'll prob do it. Haven't ever changed/drained the coolant on this bike at all and it's always rock solid at 3 bars when warmed up. Prob time.

Anyone know of an easy way to drain the fuel in the tank if I can't start the bike to run it out so it doesn't end up everywhere? I'm only aware of the large hose connecting the main to the aux tank. Sumping is an option as well I suppose. That should be able to get most of it, the rest will already be below that level but may see a little leak out when removing the lowest hose.

Thanks for the advice. It'll be a few days getting to this...still on nights through the weekend and sleeping on days is already challenge enough!

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The best way I have found to drain the tank (and the lower tank also) is to connect a tube to the indicated (in attached diagram) connector on the pump. Be sure to have a really large gas can on hand, it drains all except maybe a 1/2 gallon.

FuelPump-lowerTank-drain.jpgFuelPump-lowerTank-drain.jpg

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
On my 2007 the Injector sub harness (#3) is accessible behind the left fairing. Just above and benind the coolant reservoir. Gray connector approximately 10-12 pins. Could be tested there before taking stuff apart.
Injector sub harness.png

Last edited:

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Don't forget the multi-way connector i mentioned in post # 7. The circuit cannot 'go low' if the earth connection is toast. There is a recent post ( today) where this has been the cause. Take a look if you haven't seen it already even if it is just for the picture.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/cured-2009-st1300-wont-start-no-ignition.165564/#post-2106175

John
John, the linked thread is in regards to a break in the Bl/w + positive system, and a bypass fix substitution for replacing the likely failure of a yellow + positive buss connector. I think confusion lies in the fact that it’s the same color and configuration as the yellow - negative 12-14 pin buss connector behind the right headlight. Sure sounds like the OP here has the same symptoms as the OP there (and previously on one of my ST’s). Not sure about the FI light status on the other thread though.
Roger

Well Hey kind of in the same boat 2 weeks ago Pulled my bike out of the garage Got all suited up And Lo and behold no start Would just crank My bike is a 2012 It is 9000 miles on it So anyways Just got a call from the shop .. they tell me the fuel pump Is dead And of course It's on back order until the middle of October So That's my Luxury problem of the day

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well Hey kind of in the same boat 2 weeks ago Pulled my bike out of the garage Got all suited up And Lo and behold no start Would just crank My bike is a 2012 It is 9000 miles on it So anyways Just got a call from the shop .. they tell me the fuel pump Is dead And of course It's on back order until the middle of October So That's my Luxury problem of the day
Tell them to go on to ebay, buy a pump and replace the dead one!

eBay Fuel Pump

Well it's a warranty thing Does make me wonder why The fuel pump would go in only 9000 miles
Guess the other thing is too I always fill up when I get just below a half tank You know the old school thinking that you Need to keep the Fuel pump cold ,,,,of Course I don't think anything Underneath the ST stays cold ,, i know it does not... everybody knows the st,s are 2 wheel heaters Which is great when the weather is cool.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been doing my commute for almost 10 years (125 miles daily - pretty much year round) I have yet had a fuel pump go out on me.

I did replace the one on my '04#2, but it sat in a shed for 6 years with old gas in it. And I'm getting ready to replace the fuelpump in my '04#1 due to the same reason.

Several have had theirs go bad, probably similar to yours, but I'm not so sure on their mileage. 9,000 sure seems to be low mileage.

How long did your bike sit at the dealers with gas in it before it was bought?

Last edited:
Top Bottom