Bluetooth equipped motorcycle helmets

Since purchasing the 2003 ST1300, Igofar/Larry and myself have been getting her ready for riding season. Been on the phone quite a bit with him. Igofar is a great asset and great man for his help with everyone here. (ST whisperer)

Bluetooth equipped motorcycle helmets? Cool. Technology has came a long way from 6 years ago with my SENA unit. Regarding these helmets, those of you that use them, what do you like as far as brand? I would like to make this purchase only once. Favorites? Ones to stay away from? Best noise canceling?

TIA

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm disqualified from answering your question - I don't use one - but it's widely accepted that many brands / models that have built-in BT suffer in the quality department, compared to those that do not.
Riders who desire BT will often add it via the manufacturers who specialize in such, as Sena, Cardo, and others. If a component needs repair, it can be sent away while you still have use of your skid lid. (But try not to skid on it, it messes up the paint.)
Lots of options, and more coming to market monthly.

OP
OP
LJST
I'm disqualified from answering your question - I don't use one - but it's widely accepted that many brands / models that have built-in BT suffer in the quality department, compared to those that do not.
Riders who desire BT will often add it via the manufacturers who specialize in such, as Sena, Cardo, and others. If a component needs repair, it can be sent away while you still have use of your skid lid. (But try not to skid on it, it messes up the paint.)
Lots of options, and more coming to market monthly.
Thanks. Issue I deal with is as an OS salesman I get several (30-60) phone calls a day. 318 accounts. Depending on the validity of who’s calling, $2M account maintenance manager, I may have to answer and visit with him while riding. I can’t just turn my phone off. Unfortunately.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Thanks. Issue I deal with is as an OS salesman I get several (30-60) phone calls a day. 318 accounts. Depending on the validity of who’s calling, $2M account maintenance manager, I may have to answer and visit with him while riding. I can’t just turn my phone off. Unfortunately.
I didn't respond earlier because it seemed clear to me that you specifically wanted feedback on integrated systems. Based on your above post, it sounds like your main goal is having the ability to answer your phone while en route, not necessarily an integrated system, so I feel I can offer an opinion if this is so.

I strongly suggest focusing on getting a good quality helmet that fits properly first. You can add a Blue-tooth equipped communication system of your choice to any helmet. This gives you many more choices of both helmets and communication systems. With the helmet hopefully being the primary concern, you will at minimum end up with a better quality, and more importantly, better fitting helmet. You will probably end up with a better communication system as well. Another advantage of this choice is that either item can be used independently of the each other. Unlike the integrated systems, if either one becomes unusable for some reason, it does not affect the ability of the other to be used.

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
@Sadisor said it well. (Andrew Shadow replied while I was typing, and he also had excellent points.) I wouldn't buy one either. I'll add some additional reasons starting with...

...what shape is your head? Is it the same as mine? Head shapes are like shoe widths...they are all individual. So when you buy a Sena helmet...does the helmet fit your head?

I'd much rather get the best helmet I can to fit my needs, than to get a helmet solely because it has some new tech in it. For instance, when I went shopping I spent hours looking through reviews at webBikeWorld on helmets. That is the place to go for unbiased professional helmet reviews. Anyway, they cover things like Noise Levels. Ventilation, both upper ventilation and lower ventilation. Helmet shape. Eye port visibility. Controls, and more. Then I went shopping with a very short list and I have a helmet that is comfortable to wear all day long.

Then...I went out to look at BT headsets. I've gone through four BT headsets since I bought that helmet.

Shopping for a BT headset has an entirely different set of priorities than shopping for a helmet. They come with different features and controls. The important part for me, is I can get what works for me. If you're worried about having this ginormous thing sticking out of the side of your helmet...don't. You won't even notice it at all. Sound quality is determined by the microphone and speakers inside the helmet...not where the BT headset body is located. I have no issue hearing conversations with mine, and if I didn't tell the person on the other end that I was riding, they wouldn't know.

Good luck on your search.

Chris

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Be aware that some helmets, like my LS2 Valiant, will not work with a generic BT device because of exterior helmet shape or the design of the lower lip or edge of the helmet. Many Nolan helmets have the same issue. These manufacturers have their own proprietary BT / comm devices that work well and integrate well, but are higher priced than a generic device.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Got to agree that a bespoke helmet first and good communication unit second is still probably a better choice than current integrated combo.

When it's time to doff the lid for the last time the communication unit may be transferred to the next hat. I'm not sure what will happen with the battery dies in an integrated solution but if it can be replaced could mean sending the whole hat in. It looks like there are DIY solutions on YT for dead batteries in some of the more popular units. If they can and must be replaced at the factory at least wouldn't have to pay for the helmet's weight.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Years ago, BILT (Cycle Gear) had a helmet (TECHNO) with a built-in BT that I thought was cool and purchased it.
BILT is still making these by the way but now they are said to have a SENA device. I don't know if mine was built by SENA or not.

I was tired of being tethered to my bike.
Not long afterwards, I found that the BILT helmet too was noisy for me and replaced it with a Shoei helmet - but, I moved all of the BILT electronics to the Shoei and increased the battery capacity.
Later there were upgrades to BT (3.0) but I never upgraded. No need on my part.
I can still connect to my phone and when my wife rode, we could easily communicate helmet to helmet (She had the BILT helmet as well).
The unit can connect to a few different transmitters.
My 2012 GW has the NAVI system, so it just needed the BT transmitter.

I've added XM and GPS to my bikes that didn't have those features.
I utilize a small BT transmitter and Ground Loop Isolators with a mixer and simply move the XM and GPS between bikes.

I've ridden thousands of miles with this set up and like it a lot.
When my wife calls me on the phone - she always says how clear it is- with no outside noise.
I ride mostly solo so I really don't care about trying to pair with other riders. Anyone I rode with didn't have BT anyway.
The sound quality is decent but in a very long day of riding, I often turn off the music and just listen to the bike sing.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Note though, that Sena and Cardo units come with an adhesive mount.... I have used these in the past and they do work. To remove one takes a bit, they won't fall off if installed properly.
My Cardo Packtalk Slim doesn't use adhesive. It just slides on over the edge of the helmet. It fits tight and stays in place.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
A different thought! I use blutooth earbuds. I rock and roll! I can use them without the helmet too, while I'm camping, and take phone calls! I use the Boltune one's because they have a wire and are less likely to fall into a sewer hole when I remove my helmet. I never leave home without them.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I agree with those that have said get the best helmet first and add the communications afterward.

My son and I got a pair of Sena SM10S when he graduated from a 250 Nighthawk to his 650 VStrom. We use them to talk as we ride and they work perfectly for us together. Most recently I bought another for my wife's helmet to make our rides more enjoyable with real conversation rather than an over the shoulder shout to stop for a bio-break.

Riding alone I use mine to listen to music or podcasts from my android phone and directions from my Garmin GPS.

I almost never initiate a phone call from my headset, but I have received many calls and those on the other end never know that I'm on a moving motorcycle unless I tell them and they're amazed at the sound quality when I do. My helmet is a Shoei Qwest.

So these use cases describe a pretty solid performance by the SM10S. If there's any place where it falls short is in the ease of adding new members to my communication group. I don't ride regularly with anyone other than my son so this hasn't been an issue, but when we joined other riders at rallies - that's you @Dale_I ! - the pairing process is sometimes cumbersome and confusing.

This is where I understand the newest units from Sena and Cardo perform better as they're employing a mesh-network technology which supports more headsets in a group, can communicate over longer distances - say between riders at the lead and end of a large group, and can allow new members to join if they simply come within connection range. I don't have first hand experience with this, but it sounds interesting. It's also my understanding that this mesh technology is not compatible with conventional bluetooth protocols so you're locked into that brand and its mesh product line.

Would I buy the Sena SM10S again? Yes, unless I needed to connect with a large group I'd be travelling with and we all committed to a specific model/technology.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Sounds as busy as the :WCP1:

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Lots of great information above. I second the quality helmet first. I ended up with the C4 because I wanted quiet first, bonus was the BT. No one has noticed I was talking in a helmet on the rare occasions it happened, and the helmet is very quiet.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
It's also my understanding that this mesh technology is not compatible with conventional bluetooth protocols
My daughter and SIL have Cardo Packtalk Bolds with mesh tech. They can pair with my old Sena SMH10 but it is a convoluted process but once done, they function well together.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I'm a bit vague here on my understanding of mesh technology, but I believe when you pair to a conventional BT headset, you just do so without the mesh. Does that enable you to have mesh with others on the group intercom still that have mesh? I'm not sure.

I'm not convinced mesh is something I just gotta have. I ride with 1-2 other people when I'm not solo. When we get in range, we automatically pair after the first pairing. Likewise, if we get separated, we automatically rejoin the group intercom as we come into range again.

And then there's some group rides where no one wants to pair, even though they clearly have the same BT headsets.

Chris

SENA makes a Bluetooth kit built specifically for the SHOEI Neo Tech II modular. I bought them both together. It looks great and works even better. Not cheap, my set up was $1,005 even with a 10% discount, but I love it. Good battery life, relatively fast charge, awsome sound for music, and perfect sound for me and listeners on cell phone calls and intercom with other riders. Highly recommended. 84DEBDB9-8D3A-4C28-B8AC-121EA00DA779.jpegEE7D6BD2-483A-447B-8FD1-4957E9C711DB.jpegA5846514-EA35-48A1-B70D-0DD1C1B29ED0.jpeg2822881C-F87B-4125-A642-F3238A5F6A5C.jpeg21EA16CF-3440-4FDE-A430-C0AC16193509.jpeg

Bike
2012 BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
I bought a Bilt Modular w/Bluetooth Sena 10 module for $225 at Cycle Gear. Its great for up to 4 riders but its range is
about 1 mile and line of sight ha! I like it, works for me especially my music from my iphone without the wire and ear plugs ;)

DSCF2201.jpg

Top Bottom