Camping gear for newbies

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I bought a small propane stove off eBay for about $11. It folds down to the size of 2 matchboxes. For boiling water, I generally use my old Boy Scout mess kit, but have also used coffee cans in the past. When you get home, toss them in the recycle bin.

Chris

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Consider a hammock instead of a tent. No need for air mattress . You can get them with a mosquito net and a rain fly and it packs in a small bag. Use your bike seat on a couple of logs or stones for a camp chair. I have a stainless steel mess kit that you can also pack things into the pot, like bottle of dish soap and scrub pad. I also pack a cast iron frypan fit’s in a pannier. To carry water I have a couple of metal drinking bottles or you could use a camel bag.
I pack either a Primus 8r (there’s also a Russian version of this stove) or a whisper lite. Both these stoves by changing the jets can run on petrol.
Swiss Army knife

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
You might want a warmer sleeping bag....0 C
not sure I would be comfortable riding in temperatures below +5C. Last fall I was commuting to office up to 5 degrees, and didn't like it too much. So I decided to pick 0C sleeping bag just to have some margin.
So I started to search most compact gear, maybe, Ill be able to make one night trial camping till the end of September to test it.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
This is what I used on my last camping trip.
There's a fly that goes over the hammock.
I brought two stoves because there were 8 of us but either one would do.
A couple of things were added to the mess kit, cutlery for two, cutting board and large knife.
Have fun however you choose to do it.

Attachments

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
Consider a hammock instead of a tent.
thanks for ideas). Not sure about hammock by the way, I just feel that tent is more suitable for me. I did camping couple of times actually, but I was just a guest and didnt have any of my own gear. But I liked to sleep in tent though)

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
thanks for ideas). Not sure about hammock by the way, I just feel that tent is more suitable for me. I did camping couple of times actually, but I was just a guest and didnt have any of my own gear. But I liked to sleep in tent though)
I was sceptical at first, there are advantages. You don’t have to worry about a flat and level ground to set up. No rogue rocks or twigs jabbing you. No sore back from sleeping on the ground. You are rocked gently to sleep.
It’s quick and easy to set up. Light weight.
No matter...camping is fun.... enjoy.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
not sure I would be comfortable riding in temperatures below +5C. Last fall I was commuting to office up to 5 degrees, and didn't like it too much. So I decided to pick 0C sleeping bag just to have some margin.
its not the riding temperature that determines what temp rating you should get for your sleeping bag, its the overnight low temperature when you're sleeping. In high altitudes especially the overnight low can drop to around freezing in the summer months even though it was warm and comfortable for riding during the day. The thin, dry air doesn't hold heat well.

If you haven't bought a bag yet I'd recommend looking at down bags with roughly a 20°F (-5°C) rating. They're warm enough, and very compact so they will typically take up less space than a synthetic bag of the same warmth rating. I haven't looked at bags for a very long time so maybe that's changed over the years, if so, then someone else might be able to comment on that.

The last variable on that topic is some people sleep 'warm' and some sleep 'cold' so not everyone is equally comfortable using the same bag in the same conditions. If you've never owned a bag before you may want to go with a little warmer rating because you can always unzip a little if you're too warm, but can't do anything if you're too cold.

Bike
2007 ST1300
As for coffee... it can be a slippery slope.
True statement- I tried the jetboil with instant coffee and it just didn't get it ( not strong enough) so as a result I bought a Stanley boil and brew camping coffee press (cowboy coffee).
You can get one on Amazon for about $25. Now this is camping coffee.
I agree about it being kind of a pain to clean at the camp site though.

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
If you haven't bought a bag yet I'd recommend looking at down bags with roughly a 20°F (-5°C) rating.
got the idea, agree, thanks. If this will not increase significantly size of the packing, i'll try to buy sleeping bag with lower temp grade

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
got the idea, agree, thanks. If this will not increase significantly size of the packing, i'll try to buy sleeping bag with lower temp grade
you can use a compression sack to greatly minimize the storage size of a down bag, just don't keep the bag stored in it all the time.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
My camping gear:
If I am going to stay in a cabin such as those on a KOA campground, I bring a double fitted sheet to go over the plastic covered mattress in the cabin.

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
Those eggs came out better than the ones I've made at home... lol

The cooking stuff and food are the last thing I pack because, being on a bike, you can just ride to breakfast/lunch/dinner and bring back anything you need. It's a pain to keep food and make sure it's out of the way of wildlife. I'll bring some granola or protein bars or mixed nuts as a snack as that's easy. If I do bring the jetboil I'll bring some ramen noodles just to have something if I don't want to ride into the nearest town.

Careful w/cans of beer, they are a lot thinner than in the past and you don't want one getting punctured in your gear...

IMG_20160422_082712.jpg
Careful w/cans of beer, they are a lot thinner than in the past and you don't want one getting punctured in your gear...
Yeah, beer cans in your luggage is not a good idea. DAMHIK. :rolleyes:

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
That somewhere could just be your backyard... it was for me when I got back into tent camping 30 years after boy scouts. My wife thought it was funny that I actually spent the night in our back yard. ;)
This is a good suggestion for learning how to set up your tent and other equipment before you actually hit the road. Try it at night with just a headlight ( not the bikes).

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
There's an answer. ;)

I called Kermit earlier today and had a great talk about bikes with (forgot his name) after we discussed chairs and how he got into the biz. I even sent him a couple of pics of my fully-dressed Nighthawk. He was very impressed with the set-up.

He confirmed the "No."

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
@Larry Fine, You could try building your own, longer extenders. The extenders are just round aluminium tubing with one end compressed into a square to slide over the wooden leg.

Top Bottom