Camping pad... suggestions?

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Adding a sleeping pad to my camping arsenal this year. Of course, too many styles and types to make much sense of it all at first glance. I've decided insulated is mandatory and I'm currently looking at the Klymit insulated Static V:
Klymit-Insulated-Static

I've heard good things about Big Agnes... and I'm just wondering if I should be considering something different. Or, if anyone has had experience (good or bad) with particular models or brands.

Thanks in advance, from my back and me!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I went to REI and tried out various brands... literally put them on the store floor and laid on them. I ended up with a 2.5" thick REI branded one that is insulated. I've used it dozens of times and it's never let me down. It seems to be as comfortable and well constructed as other brands at twice the price. Plus, the REI warranty is hard to beat. As long as it fits in my dry bag, I don't worry too much about size/weight, since I'm on a motorcycle and not hiking.

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I should mention... I'm large. Coming in around 6 foot 1 inch and weighing a lofty 270 lbs. I just measured my shoulder width and I read 24 inchs from outside to outside.

Now I'm thinking I may need something wider than 25 inches? However, I do sleep on my side.

Suggestions appreciated.... :cool:

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Exped should be on your list. Mine has been great.
Hunt for a sale price though.
Also, you might want to consider a wider model, so no problems with sliding off.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
+1 on the exped... for several years I've used the synmats in the long/wide versions and they've been great.

I recently upgraded to the megamat 12 lxw to see how I'd like it. You have to use a provided pump sack to fill it which is a little more effort than the other smaller ones but I figure for the extra thickness and comfort it's worth it... great R rating down to the negative temps ...

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I should mention... I'm large. Coming in around 6 foot 1 inch and weighing a lofty 270 lbs. I just measured my shoulder width and I read 24 inchs from outside to outside.

Now I'm thinking I may need something wider than 25 inches? However, I do sleep on my side.

Suggestions appreciated.... :cool:
REI has a 3.5" thick version of the one I have, which would probably be better for you since you sleep on your side. The XL version of this is 30" wide and 78" long.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Adding a sleeping pad to my camping arsenal this year. Of course, too many styles and types to make much sense of it all at first glance. I've decided insulated is mandatory and I'm currently looking at the Klymit insulated Static V:
Klymit-Insulated-Static

I've heard good things about Big Agnes... and I'm just wondering if I should be considering something different. Or, if anyone has had experience (good or bad) with particular models or brands.

Thanks in advance, from my back and me!
Dale,
Please don’t do the Klymit. I had one, leaked right away. Got replacement, leaked right away. Luckily I got my money back.

I now have a Therm-a-rest Luxury Map pad, lifetime warranty. 30x 77 inches, 3 Inches thick, like heaven! WOW-totally awesome. I thought I would try an Exped, only 5 year warranty. Ordered it and laid it side by side with my Thermarst. No comparison. I’m realy not a fan of air pads. The Thermarest is self inflating with foam kinda inside. Exped went back for refund.

I will say that if you are looking for a pad, go to Backcountry Edge for any camping item you need. Their guarantee is you can use it up to 1 year and if not satisfied send back for a full refund. Find any other place like that? I’ve sent stuff back, no questions asked and got refund right away. You also get $$ for giving reviews on items bought and can use them on later purchases. I just can’t say enough about them.

When I was looking for a pad, I called them 3 or 4 times with questions and they helped me immensely in the process.

Hope this helps? Remember Backcountry Edge!
Gary

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'll throw in my 2¢ on ThermaRest, been using them for 35 years, and still use the 35 year old one occasionally, but have bought a newer one since. So as far as them working well, and being durable, I can vouch for that, at least with the older models. But, I've never compared them to any of the newer alternatives from other companies, so I can't comment on that.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
+1 on the exped... for several years I've used the synmats in the long/wide versions and they've been great.

I recently upgraded to the megamat 12 lxw to see how I'd like it. You have to use a provided pump sack to fill it which is a little more effort than the other smaller ones but I figure for the extra thickness and comfort it's worth it... great R rating down to the negative temps ...
Where do you pack a 31.1 x 9.8 in sleeping pad? That's way bigger than my tents roll down.

I have 2 different large size Big Agnes pad and they just came out with some new designs. I have an insulated pad for cold weather and normal for anything above 45 degrees. FYI I sleep right on a sheet thrown over the pad most of the time with a bag or sheet thrown over my body on top.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Where do you pack a 31.1 x 9.8 in sleeping pad? That's way bigger than my tents roll down.

I have 2 different large size Big Agnes pad and they just came out with some new designs. I have an insulated pad for cold weather and normal for anything above 45 degrees. FYI I sleep right on a sheet thrown over the pad most of the time with a bag or sheet thrown over my body on top.
Packed Size
6.3 x 13 inches

My other exped packs at 4 x 9.4 inches so this one is bigger to pack but I'm hoping it will be worth it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Your link says: Packed Size[7.5] 31.1 x 8.3 in, [10] 31.1 x 9.8 in

Strange.
yeah, you have to check several sites to get the real info on camping gear, exped doesn't show this one anymore so it's discontinued.

Let me get a pic of both packed and inflated next to each other... give me a few mins.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ok,

Exped Synmat Basic 7.5 LW (Long Wide) - no built in pump like the DLX versions
vs
Exped Synmat Mega Mat 12 LXW (Long Extra Wide)

Basic 7.5
- R-Value 4 (to 20 degrees F)
- Packed Size 5.7 x 9.8 inches
- Pad Thickness (in.) 3 inches
- Dimensions 75 x 26 x 3 inches

Mega Mat 12
- R-Value 5.3 (to -4 degrees F)
- Packed Size 12.2 x 6.3 inches
- Pad Thickness (in.) 4.7 inches
- Dimensions 77.6 x 30.3 x 4.7 in

Sorry about the fuzzy pictures, I'll re shoot them next time I have both out.

The Mega Mat comes with a pretty good sized pump sack and it takes 5-6 good fills of this to fill the mattress tight.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Joe, one of the reasons I put the Exped pads on my wish list a while back was that they were dished longitudinally to help keep you on it instead of rolling off at night. Is that still a feature? TIA

I’ve used my lightweight backpacker ThermaRests for over 40 years but am looking at thicker pads as my old bones are complaining.

John

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe, one of the reasons I put the Exped pads on my wish list a while back was that they were dished longitudinally to help keep you on it instead of rolling off at night. Is that still a feature? TIA

I’ve used my lightweight backpacker ThermaRests for over 40 years but am looking at thicker pads as my old bones are complaining.

John
Pretty much, most of them that have vertical sections have the outer ones slightly larger. With the mega mat, you just don't fill it 100%... you go w/80-90% and that will allow you to lay IN the mat.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I need to research it a bit more, but my hunch is you can compensate for that with increased drinking prior to going to sleep.

I know what you mean though, last summer I forgot my ThermaRest on a car camping trip and slept on the bare ground inside the tent. Seemed like the Earth surface has gotten harder than when I was in my 20s.

edit: so you must also have one of the old orange-brown Thermarests with the all-metal valve and a serial number stamped in the corner, right?

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
If you're riding on a motorcycle, weight isn't a problem. What about an inflatable mattress from Big 5 Sporting Goods?

2018-04-18 14_32_16-Intex Full Dura-Beam Series Single High Airbed _ Big 5 Sporting Goods.jpg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If you're riding on a motorcycle, weight isn't a problem. What about an inflatable mattress from Big 5 Sporting Goods?

2018-04-18 14_32_16-Intex Full Dura-Beam Series Single High Airbed _ Big 5 Sporting Goods.jpg
No insulation, big no no unless it's only for summer camping, but the first cold night will be torture.

Top Bottom