Camping pad... suggestions?

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
If you're riding on a motorcycle, weight isn't a problem. What about an inflatable mattress from Big 5 Sporting Goods?

2018-04-18 14_32_16-Intex Full Dura-Beam Series Single High Airbed _ Big 5 Sporting Goods.jpg
Even in the summer it will suck the heat out of your body and the next thing your freezin your-you know what. These are good for ya in the house but not in a tent. I used one in my camping trailer for one weekend and that was enough. I don't do cold.

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't do cold well either. Especially sleeping!

Not sure I have an Exped budget, but I'm going to keep an eye out for sales. Thermarest seems universally preffered over Klymit (kind of surprised me, the backpackers like them).

Amazon looks like my friend...

Thanks for all your opinions!

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #

Not sure I have an Exped budget, but I'm going to keep an eye out for sales. Thermarest seems universally preffered over Klymit (kind of surprised me, the backpackers like them).

The backpackers like them because so light and pack small.

Don’t forget to look at Backcountry Edge! Customer service is beyond reproach.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

If you don't do cold then the R rating is one of the biggest factors... campers like those thin light things because they are carrying it and to them ounces mean a lot and they'll sacrifice comfort for that... remember most of them are also probably in their 20s and weigh less than 180lbs lol

Whatever you get, make sure they have a good return policy and try camping overnight in your backyard in your tent... then decide if it's a keeper.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
We have had the thermarests for many years and like them. Friends have the Exped mats and swear by them. Not sure about the benefit of the built in pump though.

Our Thermarests are rectangular and quite long - I'm 6'4" but they roll up pretty small. I can't get a measurement for you at present - they aren't rolled up !

It's possible to blow them up too hard which makes sleeping uncomfortable. I blow them up hard and have the valve at the head end - then when I lie down, just let enough air out to provide the necessary 'give', without me touching the floor. Perfect.

We discovered the benefit of those cheapo picnic mats. They are very light, have a waterproof back, a thin flexi-foam layer, a reflective layer and a cheap woven tartan top. They fold into a neat rectangle of hardly any weight and they strap to the top of the top box. It's surprising what a difference it makes to the cold coming from the ground.

But we don't use sleeping bags - instead we have pure down 'blankets' which are extremely warm on top, and we just have a thin sheet over the thermarests. There is absolutely no point to having a sleeping bag and lying on top of half of the insulation. It only works when it has trapped air in it !

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Not sure about the benefit of the built in pump !
Only some have a built in pump and it's not bad, I think a pump sack or pillow pump works better but it still works as designed.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Only some have a built in pump and it's not bad, I think a pump sack or pillow pump works better but it still works as designed.
The Exped Syn Mat 9 that I returned had a built in pump. Wow, took forever to pump it up with it. Finally gave up and used my little dc pump. Went right up. But as I had said before, just not a fan of sleeping on just air. Must be an old age thing. :eek:

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is the difference in the Syn 9, 10, 11, 12 just newer generations or are they larger/thicker matts?

I took a look at Backcountry Edge... no sales right now, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I have a compressor from Slime, but decent lungs as well. Never used a built in pump....

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I have a compressor from Slime, but decent lungs as well. Never used a built in pump....
the Thermarest pads have always been self-inflating in the past, I assume that's still true today. At the most you need to puff a couple times into the air valve to give them a little more firmness.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
....... Not sure about the benefit of the built in pump though......
Me neither. Can be made to work in your living room, pushing against a perfectly flat and hard surface and your hand in the exact orientation and placement as depicted. In real life...forget it! Only good thing is that you can still blow through the valve to inflate it the "conventional" way. Exped is very proud of it though, and responded to my feedback that the majority liked the feature very much. Happy to hear of more "minority" opinions here!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Is the difference in the Syn 9, 10, 11, 12 just newer generations or are they larger/thicker matts?

I took a look at Backcountry Edge... no sales right now, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Exped has a nice mat selector/filter
http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats?filter=open

Most of their mats fall into categories... I would say, for motorcycle camping, stick with the Trekking and Base Camp categories... The ultralight stuff is going to be thinner material and while it's pretty durable, weight doesn't matter on a motorcycle... if you are that concerned about weight on a bike, forego that piece of pie, it's a cheaper and healthier option than a more expensive mat... lol

I would stay away from the down-mats, they are VERY warm and probably TOO warm for the temps that most of us ride/camp in.. My Synmats have been great in temp that get into the teens, in fact you'll many times feel the cold from above you from the top of the sleeping bag before you'll feel ANY cold from the ground.

The thickness of the mat is important, I've slept on an old style 1.5" therm-a-rest and it was terrible... I've slept on a 4" walmart air mattress and it was comfortable going to bed but torture as the ground sucked all the heat from the mattress which in turn sucked it from me. Your body warms the air in the mattress and, along with the mattress insulation, creates a nice barrier... Not everyone likes air mattresses so there are other closed-cell foam based options that do the same thing but typically are thinner so may or may not be be as comfortable depending on your preference.

Exped has many air mattress options... for me, I look at packed size and I try to get a nice high R rating in the smallest package that I feel like packing. Yes, the built in pumps are not as efficient as I would like but they are convenient and they do work. I switched mine from a built in pump DLX version to a non pump version but use one of their pump pillows so I have a pillow and a pump in one, the pillow is great as pump and even better as a pillow. Exped customer service has been excellent... I had a faulty mattress years ago and they replaced it quickly.

Therm-a-rest now has a Neo-Air mattress pad that is similar to the exped stuff.

Big Agnes also has some good insulated air mattresses that many here have tried and some will slide into the bottom non-insulated section of a Big Agnes sleeping bag.

Always get the widest mattress you can get... or your shoulders/arms will hang off it on the cold ground so 25" minimum should be your target. The lengths of course will depend on your height so get something with at least 4 inches taller than you if possible.

I got my Mega Mat 12 at REI on closeout for 171 I think.. they usually have very nice closeout deals.
Here's a good one now for the syn mat 3D 7:
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/130357/exped-synmat-3-d-7-sleeping-pad-long-wide

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Final Update:

Thanks all for your suggestions, opinions, and experience. I narrowed my choice to a few and have waited for a deal. Thermarest Luxury Map in a large was the winner. Payment of $111 went to BackCountryEdge.com and I got a free T-shirt along with free shipping to boot. Couldn't pass up the deal.

The R value was 6.9 and it is self-inflating, which I define as mostly self inflating and I'll still need to blow it up, especially if I want it quickly. But, I'm OK with that. I would prefer not to deal with pumps or pump sacks. If I have to rely on more than what I want my lungs to provide I've got an onboard Slime compressor.

I ended up buying two because our family mini-van turns out to be exactly 50 inches wide. Two should make the perfect bed for those not lucky enough to get the tent. Or, if I can talk anyone to coming with me, I won't feel bad because I'm sleeping well. I didn't want to go with the wider 30 inch version because it starts to limit my rear view mirror line of site too much. I hope I don't regret it.

Most any of the options are very good and I wouldn't have shied away from Exped, Big Agnes, etc, etc, etc . I just couldn't ignore the great price.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Final Update:

Thanks all for your suggestions, opinions, and experience. I narrowed my choice to a few and have waited for a deal. Thermarest Luxury Map in a large was the winner. Payment of $111 went to BackCountryEdge.com and I got a free T-shirt along with free shipping to boot. Couldn't pass up the deal.

The R value was 6.9 and it is self-inflating, which I define as mostly self inflating and I'll still need to blow it up, especially if I want it quickly. But, I'm OK with that. I would prefer not to deal with pumps or pump sacks. If I have to rely on more than what I want my lungs to provide I've got an onboard Slime compressor.

I ended up buying two because our family mini-van turns out to be exactly 50 inches wide. Two should make the perfect bed for those not lucky enough to get the tent. Or, if I can talk anyone to coming with me, I won't feel bad because I'm sleeping well. I didn't want to go with the wider 30 inch version because it starts to limit my rear view mirror line of site too much. I hope I don't regret it.

Most any of the options are very good and I wouldn't have shied away from Exped, Big Agnes, etc, etc, etc . I just couldn't ignore the great price.

What's the matter Dale....???? That last night at NEWSTOC not as comfy as you wanted.....:rolleyes:. At STOC-TOBERFEST just ask for one of Maggie's extra beds.........she will share gladly......

T

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
What's the matter Dale....???? That last night at NEWSTOC not as comfy as you wanted.....:rolleyes:. At STOC-TOBERFEST just ask for one of Maggie's extra beds.........she will share gladly......

T
Todd.... What?

Are you cheaping out on the council members after promising luxury accommodations???

luxurycamping.jpg

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Dale, your gonna love that pad. It’s the one I use and so glad you took my suggestion to go to Backcountry Edge. They are great folks. Now keep watching your email because they do a give away every month.

I did go for the 30 as I don’t t like sliding off and I just got some mirror extenders for my Versys.

Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dale, your gonna love that pad. It’s the one I use and so glad you took my suggestion to go to Backcountry Edge. They are great folks.
Gary... et al...

BackcountryEdge.com absolutely rocks!!! When I purchased the pads I got a good deal on a pad that currently isn't discounted anywhere. Well, the kids used it twice and I laid on it once before I ripped a hole in the back side on a nail in the shop... :doh1:

I was thinking about patching it, then decided I would rather not chance being out and waking up with a failed patch. I called Back Country Edge and told them I was an idiot and they were nice enough to disagree, yet sorrowful enough to give me the same price for a replacement pad even though they are now selling for $45 more! He said he was sorry I never got to spend a night on it, but thought keeping the price low would be the least he could do!!!

Fully shocked me.... someone caring and just showing a little compassion... earned my business!

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Gary... et al...

BackcountryEdge.com absolutely rocks!!! When I purchased the pads I got a good deal on a pad that currently isn't discounted anywhere. Well, the kids used it twice and I laid on it once before I ripped a hole in the back side on a nail in the shop... :doh1:

I was thinking about patching it, then decided I would rather not chance being out and waking up with a failed patch. I called Back Country Edge and told them I was an idiot and they were nice enough to disagree, yet sorrowful enough to give me the same price for a replacement pad even though they are now selling for $45 more! He said he was sorry I never got to spend a night on it, but thought keeping the price low would be the least he could do!!!

Fully shocked me.... someone caring and just showing a little compassion... earned my business!
Dale,
And now you understand what I was sayin about them. Awesome company

Last edited:
Top Bottom