Can the Honda ST1300 Pan European still compete in 2020/2021?

Bike
2005 ST1300

This is a comprehensive review of the Honda ST 1300 Pan European. The question I try to answer in this video is whether the ST 1300 still can compete with the current models of, for example, Yamaha FJR 1300, Kawasaki GTR 1400 or BMW R 1250 RT. Hopefully you will find the answer to this question in this video!
Probably my favourite review video of the Honda ST1300. This guy understands bikes and the specific purpose the ST1300 was designed for.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I must be getting old. My perspective on comparison testing / reviews / evaluations has changed quite a bit from when I was younger.

There's (virtually?) no measurement on a spec sheet in which the ST1300 even holds a candle to anything currently on the market. And yet, I still would rather ride a well-maintained ST than any other sport tourer on the market.

Horsepower? Not even a comparison. The ST is waaaay down on power compared to anything else on the market. And yet, I don't care. The ST still goes from zero to illegal faster than just about anything shy of a very expensive supercar. At 75 mph it's going exactly the same speed as any other motorcycle going 75 mph. What does 40 extra horsepower do, really? Get me to illegal speed 0.1 seconds faster?

Electronic gadgets? I don't care. I've never owned a bike that had multiple riding modes, and I've never been riding down the road and thought "My riding experience would be so much better if I had multiple riding modes". Same thing with electronically adjustable suspension. Or a TFT dash. Or Bluetooth connectivity. Or wheelie control. Or "insert new-and-improved item here". Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I've never found a gadget that improved my experience of riding. A more comfortable seat? Sure. A way to carry a beverage with me? You bet. Some gadget that I touch once and then don't think about again for two years? Not a chance.

Weight? The ST is a lead blunderbuss in comparison to other sport-tourers on the market. And yet, I don't care. You know what really stinks about light motorcycles? They get blown around too easily. The ST is heavy to pick up when you drop it? Then don't drop it. And if you do, learn how to pick it up correctly. You'd be amazed how easy it is to do if you just do it the right way (see all the threads about putting the ST on the centerstand). The ST1300 is stable, confidence inspiring, and goes around a corner way faster than my cojones are comfortable with.

No doubt I'm in the minority of opinion, but what I want in a bike is a comfortable seat, good wind protection, long range (I really miss my ST's fuel tank), electronic cruise control, and not much else. All the extra stuff is - in my opinion - just more potential things to break.

The ST1300 is a timelessly good motorcycle.

Bike
2000 ST1100
@ Shawn K thats kinda how I feel about my old ST1100. Plain and simple. You know something has got to be wrong when the motorcycle salesperson spends a good 45 minutes on all the electronic gizmo's on the bike before he lets you loose for the test ride.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
@ Shawn K thats kinda how I feel about my old ST1100. Plain and simple. You know something has got to be wrong when the motorcycle salesperson spends a good 45 minutes on all the electronic gizmo's on the bike before he lets you loose for the test ride.
I was thinking reading Shawn’s post is that he needs a good ST1100 and you beat me to it.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I was thinking reading Shawn’s post is that he needs a good ST1100 and you beat me to it.
I'd love to snag a ride on one. Just never got the opportunity.

I've had this little daydream that if the business does well and I have enough disposable income to do a proper frame-up restoration of a bike, an ST1100 would be on my short list of bikes to consider.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
<SNIP>
No doubt I'm in the minority of opinion, but what I want in a bike is a comfortable seat, good wind protection, long range (I really miss my ST's fuel tank), electronic cruise control, and not much else. All the extra stuff is - in my opinion - just more potential things to break.

In that case, I'm proud to be in the minority as well.
(Kinda sounds like my life story, but we don't need to go there.)
And just more potential things to break? Call me cynical, but that's how I view it also.
Wonder just how much it costs to replace a "traction control" computer? Or electronic suspension control module?

I must be getting old. My perspective on comparison testing / reviews / evaluations has changed quite a bit from when I was younger.

There's (virtually?) no measurement on a spec sheet in which the ST1300 even holds a candle to anything currently on the market. And yet, I still would rather ride a well-maintained ST than any other sport tourer on the market.

Horsepower? Not even a comparison. The ST is waaaay down on power compared to anything else on the market. And yet, I don't care. The ST still goes from zero to illegal faster than just about anything shy of a very expensive supercar. At 75 mph it's going exactly the same speed as any other motorcycle going 75 mph. What does 40 extra horsepower do, really? Get me to illegal speed 0.1 seconds faster?

Electronic gadgets? I don't care. I've never owned a bike that had multiple riding modes, and I've never been riding down the road and thought "My riding experience would be so much better if I had multiple riding modes". Same thing with electronically adjustable suspension. Or a TFT dash. Or Bluetooth connectivity. Or wheelie control. Or "insert new-and-improved item here". Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I've never found a gadget that improved my experience of riding. A more comfortable seat? Sure. A way to carry a beverage with me? You bet. Some gadget that I touch once and then don't think about again for two years? Not a chance.

Weight? The ST is a lead blunderbuss in comparison to other sport-tourers on the market. And yet, I don't care. You know what really stinks about light motorcycles? They get blown around too easily. The ST is heavy to pick up when you drop it? Then don't drop it. And if you do, learn how to pick it up correctly. You'd be amazed how easy it is to do if you just do it the right way (see all the threads about putting the ST on the centerstand). The ST1300 is stable, confidence inspiring, and goes around a corner way faster than my cojones are comfortable with.

I was once taught that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, well your post confirms another wisdom too. The journey is seldom enjoyed if I am absolutely distracted by the vehicle I am travelling on:). I'M MINORITY! Average speed 56mph and proud:thumb:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Last fall at ONSToc, I pushed my limits but not that of my 1100, it had much more room. (Scary). My 1100 is FUN to ride!
The reality is, I did some modifications for ergonomics, one would argue there are a few bikes out there that straight out of the box they fit. Out of my price range.
if I want sport mode, I don’t use 5th gear
I don’t have adjustable suspension at a touch of a button, but I can stop and adjust if need be.
I added electronic cruise control. TPMS, GPS, heated grips, USB ports, ambient temperature gauge. These are basically standard on new bikes, for a minimal cash outlay to upgrade my bike.
The bike is paid for, I have cash to buy fuel, and cash to purchase gear to make riding comfortable in all kinds of weather. It’s a win win for me.

OP
OP
Scarce
Bike
2005 ST1300
One thing that struck me while watching this rather long video (43 minutes) was that the rider lists off his extensive experience (38 bikes owned or ridden extensively during his life - he'd worked as a test rider for various manufacturers in Europe, as well as a SuperSport and Motocross rider) was that this was the first four-cylinder bike he had ridden for any length of time, owning it for about two months when this video was made. As a lover of two-strokes, Ducati and Aprilia sport bikes etc, as well as the others mentioned above, he gushed about the ST1300's power, specifically the power in every gear right there every time you need it. That surprised and pleased me that a guy with extensive racing experience would notice that.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Yeah, I debated on whether I wanted to watch that long a video, but did anyway.
It's hard to disagree with opinions I agree with.

Reactions: VSC
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
This is exactly why a few years ago I bought a new old stock ST1300. Took it on a 2000 mile road trip. Then hid it in my garage, while I try to wear out my current ST1300. So five years from now if/when I retire, I will not have to look very far for a new bike.........

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I did the McCruise on my 05 and the bluegauge treatment. Should have kept it. It would run with anything and was a supertanker. Miss that part.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I have lots of great mods on my ST1300, was about to pull the trigger on the McCruise and traxion cartridge suspension upgrades-BUT- now I’ve decided to purchase the GL1800 manual shift instead. Will mount a luggage rack mod for my Givi top box and install my zumo 500XT and JM bluetooth corded system, also plan to install trailer hitch and pull a small newer style trailer.

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp

Couldn't have said it better.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My only real complaint about my ST1300 is that it's heavy. Heavy to lift. Heavy to steer a low speed. Heavy to put on the center stand. And I wouldn't mind a bigger battery. Ok and replacement parts.

But while I'd still go to bike shows if there were any close by to see what's new bright and shiny the ST still ticks all the boxes for a day run or longer ride. There are very few new features that catch my eye and performance isn't on my radar. The ST goes plenty fast and quick enough for me.

In my fantasy world, of Honda came to me in a vision and said "We're making the ST again... What do you want..." It would be DCT a sixth gear and GoldWing horns. But in the real world it's good enough for me as is.

Top Bottom